Re: [holistichelping] Touchy Information from Rusinga Island

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007

      Dear Sam, Chris, and All,

      Hello and terrific posting!  This issue of malaria, which does kill or affect more people in Kenya and elsewhere than HIV/AIDS (though sadly the two are becoming more equal), is often overlooked, yet it is imperative to address. Recent studies indicate that malaria and HIV/AIDS are "twinned" in their health effects too, ie that HIV/AIDS increases the prevalence and severity of malaria infection, and malaria increases susceptibility to HIV/AIDS (via its effects on the immune system).

      The use of ICTs to address HIV/AIDS and malaria is an inspired idea, and there is a move on to do this now in Kenya via the growing telecentre movement. I will be posting on that this week, as a meeting is planned for the time of the E-Learning conference in May, in Nairobi.

      Who will be attending that conference now?  Sam, Maria, David...others?  Tom, did you ever hear from them?  I do have some contacts with the organizers, so can hopefully link us up with them, and/or address the attendance issue, if you have not heard from them.

      It's wonderful to see Chris and Sam communicating and hopefully working together, and it would be great if these efforts can be linked to what Sam, Maria Agnese, and others have been doing, and also with OVF, KAIPPG and GRASSUP (my linked work), and more.

      The "thin-client" approach might be one to explore as well:  how to link computers and/or other ICTs in Kenya, Tanzania, and elsewhere among our friends in developing countries, with those ICTs and orgs in developed countries, which generally have higher computing power. The linkage could revolve around malaria (and perhaps HIV/AIDS and bird flu) research and activities, using the combined ICTs capabilities (with those in Kenya et al being "boosted" by those in the USA, UK, and Europe).

      Will look forward to being helpful in this regard, and to increasing communication from my end come summer. With greatest thanks and blessings, Janet

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
        Dear Janet, Samwel , Andrius, Jeff, Chris and all,
         sorry, I can't be in touch so frequently with you, I'm a student again,   and I enjoy a lot!  I contacted some people in my course coming to the conference on e-learning in Nairobi. Chiara Pozzi  told me that they  are starting a project of e-learning with a Kenyan association in Lake Victoria area! So they'll meet you Samwel as well and we join our efforts!  David, Tom , Samwel update us about your bursary..
        This is my personal issue. I have to plan to spend 3 months for my Master  creating some LO (Learning Objects) or  some other product related to a course and I would very appreciated if you can suggest some NGOs, located  in Europe,   dealing with Africa  I could contact them  to arrange some small project together.
        Greetings everybody!
        Janet, I enjoy to receive your messages again!
        Maria Agnese Giraudo