Touchy Information from Rusinga Island

  • samuel kongere
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17 3:21 AM

      Dear Chris,

      I am sending you this touchy information and will cc to Peter, I
      understand the issue with Peter and I had to make this known to all
      of what we do in Rusinga Island.

      By doing so, I am organizing the strategy to find partners in local
      NGOs in Suba District, nationally, international Associations for
      collaboration in information and Communication Technology teaching,
      training, provision of computers-internet access and adequate
      location for attracting community wireless connection; the idea is,
      the needed associations and NGOs must have interests in ICT and love
      to get experience in Africa through information transfer: see what
      they do, if they are available to come to Rusinga Island to train and
      what kind of assistance they can provide through collaboration.

      In the long run the above idea will improve the empowerment of
      youths, increase their participation and facilitate dialogue between
      this community and different parts of the globe and other activities
      that build capacity as policy making and advocacy. Other issues we
      address are poverty, leadership, governance, primary health, malaria
      control and general community development. The group is currently
      having an office and place of meeting.

      We are already having members who are technology literate and can do
      basic computer training to other members and this forms the backbone
      of our capacity building basic analysis. Those trained on malaria
      Control are voluntarily collecting data from mosquito breeding trends
      at the breeding sites every month, doing pyrethrum spray catch (PSC)
      method in marked houses. The spray chemical is given by the help of
      scientists who are working with ICIPE. The scientists helps the
      community in malaria control trainings and ideas.

      The experience from the larval survey for the last three years now
      has made the community come up with a geographical seasonal Calendar
      which indicates months with high density of larval mosquitoes at the
      breeding sites, adult mosquito density, rainfall trends which provide
      mosquitoes with favorable breeding conditions, malaria prevalence
      rate among the islanders. The malaria prevalence timetable is given
      through assistance from the ministry of health, through screening of
      patients at identified centres.

      The research is taken further to find how people use the existing
      anti-malarial drugs. The findings indicate that many misuse the
      drugs, under dosage, buying of pain killers instead of actual
      malarial medication and the body is becoming resistant to medicine.
      The result is more deaths from malaria infection than HIV/Aids which
      is also high in the district according to national figures.

      The long term dream for malaria control in the island is to do actual
      larval control on the breeding sites. By the use of technology to
      destroy the mosquitoes before they become adults and make Rusinga
      free from Malaria. MOTTO: `RUSINGA ISLAND SHALL BE FREE FROM MALARIA'

      Samwel

      MBITA  040305-KENYA.
      Cell: +254 725 600 439
      FOSS ADMIRER
      Community Development

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17 9:51 AM

        Dear Sam, Chris, and All,

        Hello and terrific posting!  This issue of malaria, which does kill or affect more people in Kenya and elsewhere than HIV/AIDS (though sadly the two are becoming more equal), is often overlooked, yet it is imperative to address. Recent studies indicate that malaria and HIV/AIDS are "twinned" in their health effects too, ie that HIV/AIDS increases the prevalence and severity of malaria infection, and malaria increases susceptibility to HIV/AIDS (via its effects on the immune system).

        The use of ICTs to address HIV/AIDS and malaria is an inspired idea, and there is a move on to do this now in Kenya via the growing telecentre movement. I will be posting on that this week, as a meeting is planned for the time of the E-Learning conference in May, in Nairobi.

        Who will be attending that conference now?  Sam, Maria, David...others?  Tom, did you ever hear from them?  I do have some contacts with the organizers, so can hopefully link us up with them, and/or address the attendance issue, if you have not heard from them.

        It's wonderful to see Chris and Sam communicating and hopefully working together, and it would be great if these efforts can be linked to what Sam, Maria Agnese, and others have been doing, and also with OVF, KAIPPG and GRASSUP (my linked work), and more.

        The "thin-client" approach might be one to explore as well:  how to link computers and/or other ICTs in Kenya, Tanzania, and elsewhere among our friends in developing countries, with those ICTs and orgs in developed countries, which generally have higher computing power. The linkage could revolve around malaria (and perhaps HIV/AIDS and bird flu) research and activities, using the combined ICTs capabilities (with those in Kenya et al being "boosted" by those in the USA, UK, and Europe).

        Will look forward to being helpful in this regard, and to increasing communication from my end come summer. With greatest thanks and blessings, Janet

[...]

      • Maria Agnese Giraudo
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 17 10:26 AM
          Dear Janet, Samwel , Andrius, Jeff, Chris and all,
           sorry, I can't be in touch so frequently with you, I'm a student again,   and I enjoy a lot!  I contacted some people in my course coming to the conference on e-learning in Nairobi. Chiara Pozzi  told me that they  are starting a project of e-learning with a Kenyan association in Lake Victoria area! So they'll meet you Samwel as well and we join our efforts!  David, Tom , Samwel update us about your bursary..
          This is my personal issue. I have to plan to spend 3 months for my Master  creating some LO (Learning Objects) or  some other product related to a course and I would very appreciated if you can suggest some NGOs, located  in Europe,   dealing with Africa  I could contact them  to arrange some small project together.
          Greetings everybody!
          Janet, I enjoy to receive your messages again!
          Maria Agnese Giraudo