Shoe stories and Thank you, Helen and Josephat

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2007
      Christine Ax, It was wonderful to meet you in Hamburg! I'm excited
      about your ideas on shoe production in Africa. (A special thank you to
      Stella Loewenberg for encouraging me to come to Hamburg.) I share my
      letter with our NewCraft, Holistic Helping, Mendenyo and Social
      Agriculture working groups.
      helen mahoo writes from Tanzania:
      > Dear Adrius
      > Hope your doing well there,I want to confirm to you that i have
      > receive 2 flash drive one for me and one for Josephat with the cheque
      > enclosed,thanks very much,i was encourage to send more stories that
      > will help and change the society,i have talked to Josephat since we
      > gonna have a group meet on sunday the flash will reach to him.Thanks
      > again we proud of MinciuSodas.
      > Be Blessed
      > Helen Mahoo
      > Chair person-UYOGA

      Helen,

      Thank you for your letter!

      Yesterday I spoke with Christine Ax who leads our New Craft working
      group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newcraft/

      She is interested to collect "shoe stories" about what our shoes mean to
      us in our lives. She wants to know about our "shoe cultures" around the
      world: why we wear them, how we get them, how we repair them, where we
      wear them. She is studying:
      * What kind of shoe culture has existed before the modern sport shoes?
      * What kinds of shoe and shoe culture would people like to have?
      * What kinds of problems do they have with the shoe culture of today?
      * What would be a good location and team to build up a local shoe industry?

      She participates in a company http://masschuh.de which creates
      personalized shoes that exactly match the shape of an individual's
      foot. You can imagine the shoemaker making measurements of a person's
      foot, putting those numbers in a computer, and then a machine cutting
      the leather into the exact shape for the shoe to be sewn together. She
      is looking for a place in our network where we know shoemakers, somebody
      who knows how to sew leather to make the uppers for the shoes, who knows
      how to work with leather and can repair shoes. The idea would be to
      send a machine so as to demonstrate what her company can do. Then high
      quality shoes could be created at a reasonable price for the local
      people. And perhaps there could be some export to members of our lab!
      This is not mass production, it is the opposite: shoes individually
      crafted for each foot! In particular, the left shoe and the right shoe
      can be different! Most people's feet do not have the same shape.

      Helen, please focus on shoe stories - short stories (two or three or
      four sentences) about individuals who wear shoes, and long stories
      (interviews) with shoemakers. I also ask Sasha to collect some shoe
      stories at MyFoodStory http://www.myfoodstory.info (they can be related
      to agriculture or not).

      I encourage all of our Africans to send us some shoe stories because we
      will have a bit of new money from Christine (100 EUR minus any fees) for
      one person to work on this. I will decide who would be the right person
      to make sure that we have stories from our entire network. From all of
      the shoe stories we will think and decide together, what would be the
      best location in our network to have a local shoe production machine and
      team.

      Also, do we know German speakers in Africa, such as in Tanzania or
      Cameroon? That would help.

      We also discussed some day perhaps setting up a machine in the South
      Side of Chicago because of the immense interest there in footwear and
      the great impact that local production might have.

      This is wonderful news and is an example of the great possibilities we
      have by relating our investigations and our resources!

    • samuel kongere
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2007

[...]

        http://www.ms. lt
        ms@...

        I like the idea of shore stories, great thoughts olden culture and present wonderful. Shoes is old as food to some while others it is new as clothes. Things change and with time and technology is the rise of new technics for making more better shoes.
        Samwel

        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439
        FOSS ADMIRER
        Community Development

        Get your own web address.
      • Josephat
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 2007
          Dear Andrius,

          Thank you,the idea is good and it has impressed me.It is a great
          creativity that can do to help ordinary people especially in
          Tanzania were many shoes are imported from Asian countries e.g
          China,singapore,Thailand e.t.c.However there domestic shoe makers
          whom some of them i know,their customers are ordinary people.

          Most of home made shoes are of plastic leather which is cheap to
          produce and to sell to people with low income but not durable[easy
          to wear out].It is a big point if we can plan it domestically for
          many people will benefit especially the ordinary.So i congratulate
          you for an idea.Me,Helen and our team we are working on that
          starting with exciting shoes stories.Thank you

          Josephat Ndibalema[Uyoga Member]
          Dar es salaam,
          Tanzania.

          --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...>