Re: [holistichelping] HIV/AIDS Affects Agriculture and Food Security in Africa

  • tom ochuka
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2007
      Dear Janet,
      This is just true ...AIDS IS JUST MORE EVIL AND
      ROBBING...Economically many cant go to farms..our
      church developed asystem of aoneday surport to dig for
      the inffected who are terminally ill..this will boost
      family income in matters of food..farming as ameans
      to survive is not compared to buying food..the best
      way is to help farm for them.
      In one case one faily decided to divide the farm into
      halves to lease one side have money to cultivate the
      other side...well since they are buying drugs to live
      its still not easy.
      With the help off better seeds they can at times
      harvest,
      This is good Janet..What do you say.
      Thanks
      TOM OCHUKA.
      --- Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:

      > Source: http://www.mg.co.za/
      >
      > JOHANNESBURG: HIV/AIDS has proven to be the bane of
      > our times since it started decimating humanity
      > across the globe in the twilight of the last
      > century, and it is expected to take an increasingly
      > negative toll on the economies of the countries most
      > affected by it. Some research organisations in the
      > area of food security, for instance, anticipate that
      > labour loss in the Southern African Development
      > Community (SADC) because of the epidemic will be
      > between 12,7% and 26% in the next two decades.
      >
      > Whichever way one looks at it, this is a frightening
      > scenario.
      >
      > In an October 2006 report, the World Food Programme
      > said that the high prevalence of HIV/AIDS in
      > Southern Africa had a direct negative impact on food
      > security. Health experts, the report further said,
      > estimated that between seven and eight million
      > farmers in the region have been lost to HIV/AIDS
      > over the past few years.
      >
      > A study commissioned last year by the Southern
      > Africa Trust--a regional non-profit agency which
      > supports and encourages inclusive policy dialogue
      > aimed at poverty reduction--found that 24,7-million
      > people in sub-Saharan Africa were living with
      > HIV/AIDS, and that 59% of that figure was accounted
      > for by women and children.
      >
      > The study, which was conducted by the Food,
      > Agriculture and Natural Resources Policy Analysis
      > Network, FANRPAN, which conducts research on
      > agricultural issues with a view to informing policy
      > in the region, also noted that women and children
      > were increasingly becoming the group most affected
      > by the disease.
      >
      > Malawi-based Victor Mhoni, of the Civil Society
      > Agriculture Network (Cisanet), said of the
      > relationship between the epidemic and the decline in
      > farming activity in the region: "The problem with
      > this pandemic is that it wreaks havoc with farm
      > labour patterns since there is now a lot of time
      > spent by labourers on tending to the sick, thus
      > neglecting farming activities. There is also the
      > fact that, usually, when people in urban areas get
      > sick, they go home to rural areas to be close to
      > their families.
      >
      > "This often creates a situation where families no
      > longer properly stick to their farming calendars."
      >
      > Cisanet is an advocacy group which also does
      > extensive research in the area of livestock,
      > agricultural marketing and small-scale irrigation.
      > Mhoni also noted that most of the people affected by
      > HIV/AIDS are energetic young people--the very people
      > whom the agricultural sector needs most.
      >
      > Mary Malukene from Bela Bela in South Africa is such
      > an example. According to an Oxfam report of two
      > years ago, the then-84-year-old had only one son who
      > was still alive after her other three children had
      > died of HIV/AIDS and left their own children behind
      > in her care.
      >
      > Old and fragile, Malukene was then forced to take on
      > the role of being mother and provider to two of her
> [...]

      Be a PS3 game guru.