tour at omidyar.net

  • christopher macrae
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2007
      I just wanted to mention two conversation spaces at omidyar.net - these are marathon rather than short-term conversations

       1 http://www.omidyar.net/group/economics/news/27/ My attempt to get anyone who has an active interest in Africa to some here (if only once) to post a bookmark to what they are doing is slowly gaining ground .. I am am also trying to use the top of this as a calendar of all pan-africa meetings - especially those which were convened so that some action empowerment projects could emerge. It can only be as complete as people help make it.

      2  http://www.omidyar.net/group/community-general/news/1739/ Omidyar (the ebay founding family) have just updated their list of investments in about 30+ networks; I am suggesting that people pass by and if they know of one of the networks put their name down as someone happy to answer questions about it. With a long list like this, I cant myself recognise which have deep foci in Africa -so again some help is needed. If you don't want to put yourself down as being able to answer questions about the network but notice some that you feel are influential in africa or on concerns primary ti this group, I'd love to know which nets you think those are

      cheers
      chris macrae

      Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Yahoo! Mail - quick, easy and free. Do it now...
    • jeff buderer
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 16, 2007

        Chris,

        Sorry for taking so long to respond. Thanks for sharing that and all that you have shared with us.

        I was wondering if you could help guide us into Onet?

        I think it is important that we (specifically OVF but all of us here) get involved in this process.

        Your support and communications is very much appreciated.

        Lets see if we can work on a project along the lines of where you are going that can effectively dial your vast knowledgebase into that an effective and integrated online system.

        I have a specific idea on how we might move forward on this and I will respond in detail soon.

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
      • christopher macrae
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
          People may disagree with me-a nd I do not know a lot -  but I find most of the world's best financed virtual communities an absolute mess in terms of using people's time well; for example www.omidyar.net is not standard html compatible; it doesnt have any community-wide newsletters - so for example it wass not possible for a message to go out in January  such as will those who are going to Kenya's World Social Forum post their name on this thread so that you can choose whether to network

          with 20000 people registered, though probably only 800 active in any one quarter, the community is like 10000 separate conversation roads; most roads only have 4 or 5 content participants and say 40 people reading them; conversely if a thread does become more popular then all sorts of people start promoting other conversations within it so it loses its focus

          ultimately, I would need some context to guiding questions - if you ask how does one do such and such in omidyar,  I could probably tell you a rough approach ofr that I have no idea!

          as an example, if you are in Afrrica and say interested in just one country, then a start would be to put that country into the search; it will probably return 50 conversation threads; the important thing is probably to look for a person who seems to be current in many of those threads and then use the internal email to that person; say something like country X is vital to me because ; I am mailing you because I see you care a lot about that country in your conversations- do you know who would be most interested in collaborating/conversing around similar priority action concerns to mine?

          of course, you need some luck; I don't think anyone you send such a mail to in omidyar will be rude, whether particular people will give a practical connecting answer I don't know

          what is very difficult at omidyar is if you want to collect all ideas on how to end malaria - or indeed explore any issue in terms of a menu of solutions;  as well as how Africa's deepest challenges may have some common system changing needs such as ending corruption,  getting truth media coverage http://myidol.americanidol.com/blogs/africanidoltv
          planting peace,  getting what's most urgently needed through to the grassroots so sustainable communities can empower themselves and children can have basic rights like clean water, food, safety, family or communal stability.

           At the moment if you share multiple concerns for Africa, I would still say that it is useful to post that your interest at this thread  http://www.omidyar.net/group/economics/news/27/

          The intent of this thread over time is to go away from 10000 separate country roads and build a virtual community highway, or connect other threads that are more aggregated. It can only start doing this by those who have a long empowerment projects or missions for Africa posting to this thread. You are welcome to put bookmark to where you main web information is (outside or inside omidyar); also any information on what future meetings you will be at where you look for fellow networkers etc

          ----------------
          Perhaps you have a more specific type of question that I can try and answer as a guide to omidyar; equally it would be good if there are other people who already uses omidyar to correct/supplement any answers I try to start...

          Jeff is this the sort of initial reply you wanted?
          chris macrae  chris.macrae@...

          PS one other great mistake big virtual communities make imo is failing to connect themselves with real space people need too; I am particularly interested in connecting spaces owned by and for the community to list greatest project needs around here and share across similar communities wherever they are in the world; it seems that in cities, the name hubs is becoming common for these places -one example in Rio de Janeiro is www.catcomm.org ; among cities in Africa, it would apear that Johannesburg is becoming a world class example of different types of hubs (though I realise S Africa is in some ways atypical of challenges African Citizens face)

           in rural Africa, I am very interested to hear whether a type of telecentres are beginning to emerge in this way, and if so what will be the first places (eg schools) that sustain such content flowing and project forming spaces http://www.omidyar.net/group/onet4africa/news/9/

          RE: [holistichelping] tour at omidyar.net

          Chris,
          Sorry for taking so long to respond. Thanks for sharing that and all that you have shared with us.
          I was wondering if you could help guide us into Onet?
          I think it is important that we (specifically OVF but all of us here) get involved in this process.
          Your support and communications is very much appreciated.
          Lets see if we can work on a project along the lines of where you are going that can effectively dial your vast knowledgebase into that an effective and integrated online system.
          I have a specific idea on how we might move forward on this and I will respond in detail soon.
          Jeff

          All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.
        • Benoit Couture
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
            Chris,  Thanks for the courage to denounce such a state of affair.  Online democracy and anarchy seem very synonymous.
            Here is the kind of cyclical pattern that we are facing:

            1. From bondage to spiritual faith;
            2. From spiritual faith to great courage;
            3. From great courage to liberty;
            4. From liberty to abundance;
            5. From abundance to complacency;
            6. From complacency to apathy;
            7. From apathy to dependence;
            8. From dependence back into bondage.

            Also, I must say that I strongly disagree when you go on counting on something like American Idol for anything other than being taken for a ride from bondage to bondage.
            If something like American Idol is going to work to inspire anything worth while, it will have to come from the kind of following from the idols themselves, that can demonstrate how to exit such synthetic bondage to fame and fortune and how do we go Back To The Root?

            Let's establish the support of one team that can serve as the basis of multiplication for the rest to grow from and by which we get to show the way out of the synthetic sources of fame and fortune and into the fulfillment of personal and communal simplicity.

            What we need then, is the means by which to establish regional focuses on the journey of sustainable living such as the Unity Centers that OVF works at deploying.

            So the constant question to be addressed on the Internet is:
            "How do we go from words to actions?"

            Here is a collection of possibilities for actions:

            One thing is for certain; change does not come by repeating the same.

            Regarding malaria, there are countries of Africa that grow the medicine needed to prevent and to cure the disease, known to local elders and which could be spread to the other countries that do not grow these precious plants.
            Unfortunately, the pharmaceutical companies have been engaged at convincing people that nature was no good, while reaping and synthesizing those same medicines for profits and less efficiency.
            So who do we turn to for genuine help when profit remains first and last motive for action?

            Cheers,
            Benoit

            ------------ ----

            RE: [holistichelping] tour at omidyar.net

            Chris,
            Sorry for taking so long to respond. Thanks for sharing that and all that you have shared with us.
            I was wondering if you could help guide us into Onet?
            I think it is important that we (specifically OVF but all of us here) get involved in this process.
            Your support and communications is very much appreciated.
            Lets see if we can work on a project along the lines of where you are going that can effectively dial your vast knowledgebase into that an effective and integrated online system.
            I have a specific idea on how we might move forward on this and I will respond in detail soon.
            Jeff

            All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

            always stay connected to friends.

          • jeff buderer
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 18, 2007

              Benoit,

              I did check out your link below, your work and ideas are evolving nicely.

              I would to hear more about American Idol from Chris because I would be more inclined to at first blush to take your perspective.

              Jeff

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2007
                Thanks Jeff,

                Just so I make myself clear, I do not oppose the idea of seeing American Idol being of use as followers from out of empty popularity production to the production of the practical renewal of mentality and of societal transformation into sustainability.

                In a more philosophical way, American Idol is in an ideal position to pave the way from stardom to glory.  Stardom being individualism rising up to shine above all peers, whereas glory is the simplicity of shining together, supporting and empowering one another into completion from out of competition.  Isn't that the expression of glory that musical notes form together to become a song?

                Benoit

                RE: [holistichelping] tour at omidyar.net
                Chris,
                Sorry for taking so long to respond. Thanks for sharing that and all that you have shared with us.
                I was wondering if you could help guide us into Onet?
                I think it is important that we (specifically OVF but all of us here) get involved in this process.
                Your support and communications is very much appreciated.
                Lets see if we can work on a project along the lines of where you are going that can effectively dial your vast knowledgebase into that an effective and integrated online system.
                I have a specific idea on how we might move forward on this and I will respond in detail soon.
                Jeff

                All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

                always stay connected to friends.

                Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.