Wendi in Cameroon, How might we maximize participation?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2007

      Thank you for your letter and all of your work so far!
      I have so far received the stories below. They are fantastic!
      Some of them I have added to our database:
      Ma Odilia Mborong (she invented the pap)
      Ma Beri (who is popularizing it)
      Babila Gregory Kaba (whose kennel oil is valued especially by HIV/AIDS
      These are remarkable people! and our goal with MyFoodStory is to help us
      connect with them. And to empathize with all people and understand
      them, reach out to them and include them.

      Also, I have used some of your writings for articles:

      These writings would count as "stories" for our purposes if you gave the
      names of the people involved. What we are really doing is collecting
      information about people - why are they interesting - and focusing on
      food just helps make them concrete. If you have their permission - or
      if they are working publicly - please write about as many different
      people as you can. It opens your world to us all. Then we can think of
      other projects.

      So please don't yet travel too far. Start with the people around you.
      They don't have to be farmers. Anybody who helps with food - perhaps
      they have a garden - perhaps they prepare the food - it is all relevant
      and helps us learn about each other. This is an opportunity to present
      your members to us - they are all important and interesting. Consider
      what makes them interesting! It might be their traditions, or their
      dreams, or their knowledge, or their friendships, or their struggles, or
      their needs, or their talents or many other things. When you have
      finished all the people who are close to you, then we can think of going

      Instead of traveling, perhaps you can ask for information by mail? What
      is the cheapest way to collect this information? We do not need to
      hurry. We are interested for this to be a useful project in the long
      run. We do not want this project to be costly to you. Indeed, how
      could it be helpful? How could it help you get needed attention or
      knowledge? This is an opportunity to share information about your
      projects for the future. What would you like to accomplish next?

      Yes, I will be able to send some more money in the future. But in order
      to do that, we need to think, what is the most efficient way to work?
      For our network it is most valuable to learn about the people in your
      area. Ma Odilia Mborong, Ma Beri and Babila Gregory Kaba, as well as
      Comfort, you and your many colleagues. How can we work so that we are
      better connected to you? What are your deepest values? What questions
      do you think about? What projects are you working on, or want to work
      on, and how can we help? This is all interesting and also, much of it
      can be related to food, one way or another.

      What could we accomplish in the next six months? It would be helpful
      for us if together we discovered a way to maximize participation even
      with poor Internet access.

      +1 (773) 659-9852

      > How are you? Could kindly tell us how many stories
      > we have sent and you received ? We ask this because we
      > take a very long time to send attached files and this
      > seeming needs more internet time than we can afford as
      > we are just managing without any funding.?
      > We shall be very grateful if you can do something to
      > help us with some money so that we can easily travel
      > to our members growing ARTEMISIA tea in villages who
      > are all poor rural farmers mostly women so that they
      > can all share their own practical experiences. We will
      > also be able to spend moretime to attach these stories
      > to you all if we have some small money.
      > Yes, we know and really appreciate our computer and
      > flash stick now but the truism is that we still face
      > financial constrains with buying more internet time
      > codes and transportation or taxi fares to other group
      > members to collect more stories.
      > Immense thanks for your good cooperation and
      > understanding .
      > Sincerely Wendi and members

      Artemesia annua has brought relief to poor Cameroonian rural women,
      men and children. Actwid Kongadzem rural N.G.O in Bamenda NWP Cameroon
      has been creating awareness in the growing processing and consumption of
      this medicinal tea. It can be noted that this special tea is grown by
      many villagers under the supervision of Actwid members. This is a simple
      herb tea which is just grown in small gardens individually and
      collectively and consumed by those attacked by malaria in measurable
      sized cups for four days only.
      A blood test to check malaria must be conducted before and after
      administering Artemesia for treatment for malaria fever as it has been
      proven that the North West province of Cameroon is a high risk zone for
      mosquitoes which cause this malaria. Many poor rural women, children
      youths and those living with HIV/AIDS in the villages are often down
      with malaria. Artemesia tea does a good job to boost the immune system
      of such groups of people.
      Wendi from ACTWID KONGADZEM

      Pap-Special Delicacy Produced From Maize And Soya-Beans By Inhabitants
      Of Mbokijah Village In The North West Province Of Cameroon.
      Many people in a small village in the North West province of
      Cameroon suffer from lack and want to satisfy their basic needs
      especially for those who are sick. Every body in this village lives
      below the poverty line. One of the inhabitants of this little village
      called Ma Odilia Mborong came out with a strategy of growing maize and
      producing special pap out of the maize and soya-beans to support the
      nutritional needs of those who are sick and can not afford better
      nutritional dishes especially children and elderly people.
      When the maize planted on her farm is ready for consumption, she
      harvests it and tries to prepare pap from it. The maize is left in water
      for a number of days to allow it ferment and then taken to a grinding
      mill to be ground. It is then process for consumption as pap. The
      soya-beans which is also grown is harvested along side the maize and
      also taken to the grinding mill to be ground. The pap is then prepared
      together with the soya-beans flour for consumption. This special
      delicacy is often eaten for breakfast in the morning and also in the
      evening to keep the body worm from cold and goes a long way to support
      the nutritional needs of the inhabitants of this poor village. Another
      in habitant of the village called Ma Beri came out with the idea of
      selling some of this special delicacy and investing the income generated
      in their farms and more is produced.
      Comfort from ACTWID Kongadzem in Cameroon.

      A man called Babila Gregory Kaba a member of ACTWID
      and a farmer by occupation specializes in the growing
      of palms and serves the whole population of Mezam
      Central in Cameroon.
      These palm trees are used as boundary trees as
      people in Cameroon use these palm trees for
      demarcation of land with natural trees as fences. From
      these palms grown , palm oil, palm kennels and kennel
      oil are produced. The kennel oil is used by most
      people here to boost the immune system for those
      living with HIV AIDS. The kennel oil is also mixed
      with coconut oil and used for cooking food for
      patients living with AIDS.
      This farmer growing palm trees Babila Gregory
      presently has hundreds of these palms on sale ranging
      from 500-800frs c.f.a per plant. He can be contacted
      at 237 729 75 287 and at the email address

      In addition to the Artemesia Annua Tea grown by ACTWID
      members, Camomille tea is grown alongside . Camomille
      tea is a herb that was discovered to be treating
      fevers ,headaches ,dizziness and some mental
      disturbances and stress .Camomille tea is having a
      nice taste and can also be used as flavor in baking or
      cooking food..
      Most of our villagers are now growing Camomille
      alongside Artemesia Annua in their backyard, gardens
      and generally in many homes.
      In our future story write up ,we will give the
      details of how to grow and process Camomille.

      The members of ACTWID can tell the story of how High
      Blood is managed using certain foods .High blood
      which comes as a result of the pressure of the blood
      upon the walls of the arteries and veins becoming
      harder than normal .Again, waste matter in the
      system, wrong diet, devitalized food and wrong
      combination of food may also cause High Blood..
      If the High blood is caused by the diminishing
      elasticity of the arteries it may be easily corrected
      through a rice diet. White or brown rice is more
      beneficial than ordinary processed kind of rice. Brown
      rice is good cause it serves to restore the elasticity
      of the arteries cards. Vegetables and salads are also
      good for High blood patients. Another food good for
      the treatment of High blood is leeks. A tea with leeks
      helps as leeks have a strong hardening of the arteries
      and lengthens considerably the lives of the older
      people. Other herbs like vervaine, valerian, parsley,
      yarrow, camomille, rosemary ,garlic and onions can
      help for hypertension.