Emergency currencies and Emergency questions

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16 4:29 PM
      Thank you all for great letters at Cyfranogi
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cyfranogi/ ! They are very stimulating and
      we're making progress in thinking about community currencies.

      I spoke today with Lucas Gonzalez Santa Cruz. One of our main concerns
      now regarding bird flu http://www.fluwikie.com is to make people aware
      of the possibility of a global panic that we should prepare for now.
      (We're assuming that it is likely that within a year or two the virus
      infecting birds will mutate so that it passes easily from human to
      human.) Lucas and I agree that such a panic will be rational. With a
      highly contagious disease that may have a 5% mortality rate (and perhaps
      higher to start with) it is reasonable for people to want to flee, to
      quarantine others, to keep others out, to mistrust people, etc. Such
      thinking is responsible - people will look out for themselves and their
      loved ones. I think we saw a poll that 60% of people would flee.
      Hurricane Katrina shows the amazing mobility of people - 80% of the
      city's population fled BEFORE the hurricane hit. It also shows that an
      "every neighborhood is out for itself" mentality is natural. Now imagine
      every major city in the world being hit at roughly the same time!

      The message that Lucas and I want to share is that, when emergency
      strikes, we would like to be able to help others. In order to be ready,
      we have to prepare now to take care of ourselves. We take care of
      ourselves now so that we can help others when there is an emergency.

      Lucas and I want to put together a list of questions that would help us
      all make sure if we are ready. They might include:
      * For a two month period, would I be able to provide myself with water?
      food? medicines? heating? what else? How much do I need? And what
      precautions should I take now? (For example, getting water cannisters
      and jugs now, and filling them up later.)
      * How much electricity do I need and for what?
      * There is a simple treatment that is enough for most people to survive
      the bird flu: get plenty of fluids. However, we may very likely be so
      sick that we can't get out of bed and we can't drink fluids. So we need
      somebody to drip fluids into our mouth for a week or two. Of course,
      that requires a brave person who is not afraid to do that for us and
      risk getting sick themselves. So we need to tell others that we would be
      willing to do that for them, and ask them if they would be willing to do
      that for us. See "The Bird Flu Preparedness Planner" by Grattan Woodson,
      M.D.
      * Do I have what I need to work from home?
      * Do I have what I need to take care of my children and others at home?
      * Do I have an alternate home if I should leave, and are they waiting
      for me?
      * Do I have the money that I would need for two months? Or do I have
      people who agree to help me if I can't work?
      * Do I know what authority I might best report to and work for in the
      event of an emergency? And do they know me?

      More questions?

      Lucas also asked about community currencies, and we're starting to
      think. I suggest that we consider some items that would have "intrinsic"
      value during an emergency. Traditionally, cigarettes are used as a
      community currency in concentration camps, prisons, etc. (Of course, the
      smokers die first because they trade everything away for cigarettes -
      one of the hazards of smoking - survival of the fittest - quit now).
      Hard liquor is popular and I think beer might work, too. These are all
      parts of the "gift economy". For example, a pack of cigarettes (or a
      carton) might help you get passed a check point. Or get some gasoline.

      However, it would be nice to think of wholesome alternatives. The lists
      below (from Sarajevo) may help us think. Some ideas that come to mind
      are: toilet paper, electricity (starting with batteries, rechargeable
      batteries, and moving up to generators - note that people will want to
      charge their cell phones, so even a little bit of electricity will be
      appreciated), bottles of clean water - perhaps hermetically sealed, and
      items for fighting the flu (drippers, masks, gloves, etc. ?).

      By preparing now, we can help others rather than be helpless.

      What can we do online to help? Perhaps we can help organize people with
      "global village" self-sufficiency, for example, power generators,
      farmers, well owners. They can be the issuers of community currency
      (backed by electricity and other basic items) as Kevin Parcell is
      suggesting: http://homepage.mac.com/forever.net/Water/Money.html

      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      http://www.fluwikie.com/index.php?n=Consequences.FluPandemicPreparednessGuide

      *Tips From Sarajevo: 100 Items to Disappear First*

      1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky.
      Noisy…target of thieves, invites marauders; maintenance etc.)
      2. Water Filters/Purifiers
      3. Portable Toilets
      4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 - 12 months to become dried,
      for home uses.
      5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce,
      stockpile ANY!)
      6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
      7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
      8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
      9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
      10. Rice - Beans - Wheat
      11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled
      etc.)
      12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
      13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD
      CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY - note - food grade if for drinking.
      14. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.
      15. Survival Guide Book.
      16. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, ect. (Without this item, longer-term
      lighting is difficult.)
      17. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
      18. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
      19. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
      20. Vitamins
      21. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is
      dangerous without this item)
      22. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
      23. Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)
      24. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
      25. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
      26. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
      27. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many)
      28. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
      29. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
      30. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)
      31. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)
      32. Coleman’s Pump Repair Kit
      33. Tuna Fish (in oil)
      34. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
      35. First aid kits
      36. Batteries (all sizes…buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)
      37. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
      38. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
      39. Flour, yeast & salt
      40. Matches. (“Strike Anywhere” preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will
      go first
      41. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
      42. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in
      Wintertime.)
      43. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts
      44. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, “No. 76 Dietz” Lanterns
      45. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings,
      experience; Historic Times)
      46. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting - if
      with wheels)
      47. Men’s Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail
      clippers, etc
      48. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)
      49. Fishing supplies/tools
      50. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
      51. Duct Tape
      52. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
      53. Candles
      54. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
      55. Backpacks, Duffle Bags
      56. Garden tools & supplies
      57. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
      58. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.
      59. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)
      60. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)
      61. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
      62. Bicycles…Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
      63. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
      64. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
      65. Board Games, Cards, Dice
      66. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
      67. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
      68. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
      69. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of
      water)
      70. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc
      71. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)
      72. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
      73. Soysauce, vinegar, boullions/gravy/soupbase
      74. Reading glasses
      75. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
      76. “Survival-in-a-Can”
      77. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
      78. Boy Scout Handbook, / also Leaders Catalog
      79. Roll-on Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)
      80. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
      81. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
      82. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
      83. Lumber (all types)
      84. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
      85. Cots & Inflatable mattresses
      86. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
      87. Lantern Hangers
      88. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
      89. Teas
      90. Coffee
      91. Cigarettes
      92. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal etc)
      93. Paraffin wax
      94. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
      95. Chewing gum/candies
      96. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
      97. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
      98. Goats/chickens

      *From a Sarajevo War Survivor:*

      1. Stockpiling helps, but you never no how long trouble will last, so
      locate near renewable food sources.
      2. Living near a well with a manual pump is like being in Eden.
      3. After awhile, even gold can lose its luster. But there is no
      luxury in war quite like toilet paper. Its surplus value is
      greater than gold’s.
      4. If you had to go without one utility, lose electricity - it’s the
      easiest to do without (unless you’re in a very nice climate with
      no need for heat.)
      5. Canned foods are awesome, especially if their contents are tasty
      without heating. One of the best things to stockpile is canned
      gravy - it makes a lot of the dry unappetizing things you find to
      eat in war somewhat edible. Only needs enough heat to “warm”, not
      to cook. It’s cheap too, especially if you buy it in bulk.
      6. Bring some books - escapist ones like romance or mysteries become
      more valuable as the war continues. Sure, it’s great to have a lot
      of survival guides, but you’ll figure most of that out on your own
      anyway - trust me, you’ll have a lot of time on your hands.
      7. The feeling that you’re human can fade pretty fast. I can’t tell
      you how many people I knew who would have traded a much needed
      meal for just a little bit of toothpaste, rouge, soap or cologne.
      Not much point in fighting if you have to lose your humanity.
      These things are morale-builders like nothing else.
      8. Slow burning candles and matches, matches, matches.
      9. More matches