Mendenyo: when is it starting?/cross-collaborations

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
      Dear Sam and All,

      Great to see the links for Mendenyo, and wonder when it will start officially?  I subscribed in Oct and haven't seen postings yet, so am not sure if something has happened to my subscription, or if the group has not yet started to be active. Andrius has mentioned signing people up for it from the USA, and specifically African-Americans, which is excellent!

      I hope there will be cross-collaborations developing with Holistic Helping and other forums too, as HH is abt making those linkages and connections, since it is in "synergy" and union that we can do more and better things for all of us.

      The project you propose is very exciting, and I think there are many ways to go about starting it, some of which do not necessarily need to await wireless expertise or connections. Hopefully we can explore some of these, and what can be done in both the shorter and the longer terms, especially with transatlantic linkages.

      With all best wishes and blessings, Janet

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2007
        Janet,
        We are already doing all the means possible to start and what you can do is to sign up now through the link I sent in earlier and we will sign you in. The project Idea is along term one and it is what you wanted me to do in the proposal which Jeff had edited and we duely sent it to you acopy. This is what Mendenyo and Udogo is  all about, information transfer and advocay.
        I hope you were making somelinks and acombined proposal KAIPG to make  broadbased project and this what mendenyo is hoping to achieve through collaboration.

        More from is wonderful, contact Chris and do the neccessary links. He was very happy with my report from the WSF and he is finding it fine to work with him. I need his links for the prosper of the ICT project a head for Udogo.

        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439
        FOSS ADMIRER
        Community Development

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2007
          Hello Dear Sam and All,

          Good to hear from you, and I look forward to Mendenyo starting up!  I actually did sign up in October, but haven't received any posts, so I haven't known if that's because posting hasn't started in general, or because my mail address was inadvertently deleted, which sometimes happens. Could you or Andrius--as moderators--check to see if my email address is there already (kaippg@...), and otherwise sign me up?  Thanks!

          Are you going to be posting your MyFoodStory work at Mendenyo too?  I think it would be fascinating, and a valuable first step for your forum (the forums being used for our individual investigations)!

          On your proposal related to the learning center and crafts project, I was thinking of that when I posted my note. Andrius has mentioned signing people up to your forum while in the USA--specifically African-Americans--and that is one important aspect of cross-collaboration I'm referring to for the present and future. The amazing network and collaboration between Kenya and Tanzania is another, most definitely!

          I also looked at the proposal last fall and edited it, as did Jeff. Both of us advised you at the time to start with one learning center, as I recall, and expand from there. That should probably be the next step:  how to create that. Wireless would be great for this center, though I'm wondering if for now other, more conventional (wired) means can be considered, like a few computers and other equipment and resources.

          It would be good if someone--preferably there among you--can research crafts markets, for example, and possibly do some outreach to them, if you have a product already. I can do some of that when I have time, but that won't be for awhile.

          As for linking up with KAIPPG and GRASSUP, that would be more for the future, when you will hopefully be more able to link up via ICTs and be on a level playing field in terms of capabilities. I think I mentioned GRASSUP to you even more in conjunction with this project than KAIPPG, because GRASSUP focuses on e-learning and development, and because Kennedy Onyango--who you know, and who is in GRASSUP--is there in Mbita.

          At the moment, GRASSUP is in transition to a second phase, and things are in flux, awaiting several reports and meetings before it and the parties can move forward. When the time is more propitious, and you have developed your proposal to the stage of implementation, then we can perhaps and hopefully discuss linkages with you.

          I would suggest you get involved with WSISYouthKenya, and you can subscribe to that forum by sending a blank mail to wsisyouthkenya-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. Wainaina Mungai, who created it, is with OneWorld in Kenya now, and it would be good to talk with him (wainaina.mungai@...) too, this abt ICTs in Kenya. I'll send other suggestions within Kenya and elsewhere as they come to me.

          I'm glad to see that you have been in touch with Chris today, as that was and is the purpose of the link I created between you. Are you all set now in that regard (you mention me making a link...did you have something else in mind?).

          I'll be happy to make some links as we are moving along with the proposal and idea, and what are your plans for that?  Perhaps one place to start is to rework your proposal to reflect the suggestions Jeff and I made abt "starting small", and then post the proposal so we can all discuss how we might help.  If I run across opportunities I will alert you, and once we have a proposal which is a working template, it will be easier to suggest places to send it. You might put some of the funds you're making on the FoodStory project into a couple computers, or other aspects of the foundation-laying for the project.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2007
            Janet,

            I saw your reference to the proposal and work we did on it.

            Indeed I agree completely, the wireless should only be attempted once the network of people are place to make it happen. There is a process for training to install and maintain a local community wireless network. So that needs to be considered.

            Community inventory is the first step

            Look at the resources of the community using an assets based perspective to identify people (for the core team) resources, external support partners and local stakeholder groups, etc

            Then we can determine the role ICT can play in that process and if wireless should be considered as one potential solution.

            Considerin the recent WSF and the upcoming Omidyar event it is most ideal that reports from conferences and events include the specific leads that the participants came into contact and what the process of follow up is regarding the discussions that the network participants had at the conf/event.

            Jeff

            Good to hear from you, and I look forward to Mendenyo starting up!  I actually did sign up in October, but haven't received any posts, so I haven't known if that's because posting hasn't started in general, or because my mail address was inadvertently deleted, which sometimes happens. Could you or Andrius--as moderators-- check to see if my email address is there already (kaippg@earthlink. net ), and otherwise sign me up?  Thanks!

            I would suggest you get involved with WSISYouthKenya, and you can subscribe to that forum by sending a blank mail to wsisyouthkenya- subscribe@ yahoogroups. com . Wainaina Mungai, who created it, is with OneWorld in Kenya now, and it would be good to talk with him (wainaina.mungai@ oneworld. net ) too, this abt ICTs in Kenya. I'll send other suggestions within Kenya and elsewhere as they come to me.