Cameroon & Markus Petz: Food stories for societal responsibility

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2007
      Markus Petz and I chatted today about his team for My Food Story which we will
      feature in March. His deepest value is "meaningful inclusion". His team will
      focus especially on various kinds of (herbal) tea. The related
      technology/methodology is "societal responsibility".

      I asked him to provide a question that we might explore with him as we
      collect food stories. His question is:

      How can individual and collective efficacies be empowered without sacrificing
      individual liberty nor cultivating societal decadence (liberal but not
      libertine being the goal)?

      I am very interested that our leaders provide and explore such questions
      because by collecting related food stories we ensure the long term
      significance of our work and also we show to potential clients and funders
      why it is very useful to accumulate such first hand accounts.

      Also, we're very interested that Wendi and her colleagues in Cameroon work
      for us so that they could have a computer. We can provide the computer in
      advance and you can do the work afterwards. Please let us know, is it better
      to send a computer or for you to buy one? I imagine that it may be better
      for you to buy one. How much would that cost? I can send 200 USD if you
      agree to collect 200 short stories for us about individual farmers in your
      area, why are they interesting and how might we contact them. If you can pay
      special attention to herbal tea growers and show a variety of social
      conditions and social arrangements, then that is especially helpful.

      I share our chat.

      Andrius: My goals are:
      … 1) meet targets so that we get our bonuses
      Markus: and then the number of stiroies
      … to get bonuses
      Andrius: that is 300 directory entries and 10 stories
      Markus: so far the stories have been v few
      Andrius: or more if possible.
      Markus: SO I will be working directly to get a lot of stories all next
      week
      Andrius: 2) have a related direction where we expect to build momentum
      out into the future
      … yes
      Markus: status on the subteams
      Andrius: yes?
      Markus: Ruben - sent mails to various folks he has some positive replies,
      but so far 1 story
      … heather - she has connected with 1 person
      … 'and submitted 1 story
      Andrius: yes
      Markus: I asked her for update on progress etc, no more yet
      … Prakesh
      … He sent an email saying hwo importnat food is and wnats to motivate folksl
      … BUT so far no stiries
      … 1 indian guy in his team eager to do stuff, but the leadrership has not
      been there
      … Prakesh sent that mail to social agriculture
      … so will try and work more closely with him on this
      … and possibly change team leader
      … Finninsh contact no reply yet
      … this is 4 subteams
      … for 4 areas
      … not sure why they are NOT producing stories
      Andrius: Let's back up a step
      Markus: so I will put some example stories there and hopefully it will be
      clearer what is OK
      … OK
      Andrius: What is your overall goal?
      … What would you like to achieve going out into the future?
      Markus: 2 goals
      … 1. Get stories for MY FOOD STORY and thus bonuses
      … these shoudl eb examples and show MEaningful inclusion as you need for
      project
      … 2. Get several peoepl together who have an interst and network together so
      collectively we can explore aspects of meaningful inclusion
      Andrius: OK so let's focus on2
      Markus: I want to develop the Meaningful Inclusion so that it is a model
      that others can apply in different spheres
      Andrius: what do you mean by meaningful inclusion?
      Markus: so for example Ecosynnergy Art
      … well I put a little on the website
      … but in this case Ecosynnergy art woudl be non-exploitative
      … artists would be respected, but also promoters
      … 'and public coming to view
      … so artists woudl have some control of how it was exhibited, arranging of
      workshops for example
      … Art would be sold with arrangements that prevent profiteering
      … and public would be able to interavct with process
      … it would also be sumpathetic to cultural aspects and environemntal aspects
      … so a gallery might include art descriptions in say lithuanian and english
      … and there would be waste minimization wherever possible
      … so food for opening locally sourced organic'
      … packing and tarnsport of materials and those coming to gallery woudl aim
      for low carbon footprints
      … You will see that meaningful inclusion is quite wide
      … But lets look at 1 for a ,momemt
      … WITH MY FOOD STORY
      … I knwo the sort of stories I want to find (I am sure osme exist)
      … but its a case of looking them out
      … so the farming colective rather than exploitative capitalism
      Andrius: Markus, I will update you and others on my thinking.
      Markus: the trade cards as produced by sellers that consumers swapped
      stregnthening comunities etc.
      … OK
      … I am all ears
      Andrius: What I think would be most helpful is if you and other leaders
      might work as investigators.
      Markus: OK
      Andrius: So you have an Investigatory question
      … and you use the base of stories as a way to test your question.
      Markus: ?
      … so its a Hypothesis
      Andrius: So, for example, what is a question that you'd like to explore
      regarding Meaningful Inclusion?
      Markus: Are peopel happier in a meaninfgful included environment?
      … So I might measure that in sickness in employment place
      … absentism
      … staff turn over
      Andrius: So why is that question important to you?
      Markus: Hmnn its hard to say WHY its important to me.
      Andrius: I ask because it's an Are question.
      Markus: I thin it taps into avoiding problems
      Andrius: So it may just generate a Yes or a No. But that's not a lot
      of information. So it seems that there's perhaps other questions lurking
      within it.
      … Or that it's not a question at all, it's a presumption.
      … Or a set up for a justificiation.
      … It's not open ended.
      Markus: and avoiding problems gives greater freedom to persue other
      directions
      … and explore, suceed
      Andrius: Whereas Why, How, What questions are more open and so allow
      for knowledge to reach us.
      Markus: part of natural drive within us all
      Andrius: So how would you phrase the "avoiding problems" as a question
      you don't know the answer to, but wish to answer?
      Markus: well its about eficacies
      … And you have that with FIND BETTER WAYS
      … but for me it is - how can we empower collective efficacy rather than
      individual.
      … ?
      … How can we empower collective efficacy rather than individual?
      Andrius: OK
      Markus: sorry that is now a question
      … :)
      … it also links in with a question on liberty and machines
      Andrius: why would you want to empower the one over the other?
      Markus: Because I think that largely individual efficacy has been well
      explored and is easily seen in the Wesytern culture I grew up in
      … and yet collective is not seen so much
      … it is more common in the Asian and Arabic cultures
      … still ther is a balance of the 2
      … and also exploring how both can be balanced and increased.
      … Synnergystically
      … But that is again another question.
      Andrius: The "rather than" sticks out I guess.
      … Because it's a built in assumption that perhaps is not relevant.
      … Would it be enough to ask: How can we empower collective efficacy?
      Markus: How can individual and collective efficacies be empowered without
      sacrificing individual liberty nor societal degredation?
      Andrius: That is a strong question I think.
      Markus: degredation is the wrong word
      … i search the word
      … decadence
      … that is the word
      … 'like liberty to libertine
      Andrius: ok
      Markus: liberal to libertine
      … yes it is a stronger question
      Andrius: Please phrase it again...
      Markus: and its very broad!
      … OK
      Andrius: are you for or against social decadence?
      Markus: How can individual and collective efficacies be empowered without
      sacrificing individual liberty (liberalness and not libertine being the goal)
      nor societal decadence?
      … well I am a Green Black anarchist
      … so decadence is not something i support
      … this get s complicated!
      … The Balck Panther Party
      … developed Marx' idea of the Lumpen Proletartiat
      … Black Panther Party
      Andrius: yes but your question says "without sacrificign societal
      decadence"
      Markus: said that the Lumpen Proletariat (that is those that are not
      workers and not owners)
      … could be divided into the criminal and non criminal
      … marx said they were only criminal
      … I am interstefd i nthe non-criminal
      … and that aspect then has big questions about society
      … hmnn
      … yes my syntax still needs improving!
      … shoudl be sacrificing society to decadence
      … so I am infavor of society but not decadence
      … but then I need to define what I regard as society
      … abnd as
      … and what decadence is
      … !
      Andrius: How can individual and collective efficacies be empowered
      without sacrificing individual liberty nor cultivating societal decadence
      (liberal but not libertine being the goal)?
      Markus: yes
      … that is correct
      … i do not want decadence
      … i want society to function
      … as a skeleton to give supprt
      … nota straight jacket to stiffle
      … stifle?
      … there is an element that has been looked at with the progression of a
      society from foundation
      … by pioneers
      … to a middle period looking back with nostlagia at heroes
      … and then to decline and dissolution and possible disappearance
      … destruction
      … i am intersted in not having the decline
      … or how transition is managed
      … how it keeps vibrant
      … when there is a pressure to cope with new stresses societies tend to be
      creative and growing
      … but after a while this goes
      … how can we keep that creativity?
      … It links in with Hobbes Machines that he talks of in the Leviathan.
      … and i think the answers may lie in creating and destroying machines
      … and that this creates a society
      … But I did not explore enough to be sure
      … for example some US laws used to forbid corporations lasting longer thana
      certain time. they were not legal persons and had to be woudl up and assets
      redistributed
      … at that time the US grew a huge amount
      … and the corps were essentially benign
      … ???
      … or maybe not
      … haven't been able to do research on that yet
      Andrius: ok
      Markus: also need to rsch more in individual
      … s
      … and parts they play
      Andrius: so one goal is to collect stories that are related to your
      question, OK?
      Markus: history is made my movements but shaped by individuals - discuss
      as my Advanced Level History apaper asked
      … OK
      Andrius: Now in order to flesh it out even further
      … it would be helpful to try to focus at least partly on a particular crop,
      like teas
      … as you are, yes?
      Markus: yes I am focussin on teas!
      … hence mail to Roy Moxham
      Andrius: and now is there a particular technology or methodology or
      innovation that you're interested in?
      Markus: and Billy Connolly stry
      … well for me at crop level it will be what motivates the workers to do a
      good job
      … weed the teas
      … harvest the right leaves
      … best
      … so is that profit share?
      … collective ownership?
      … fair price in europe?
      … participation with the consumers?
      … etc.
      … that is the meaningful inclusion aspect
      Andrius: What economic arrangement is the best motivation for tea
      workers?
      Markus: YES
      … but maybe i find other things too
      … but "economy" is narrow
      … in Venezual they are working for less than minimum wage
      … so the money is not the thing
      … not the only thing
      Andrius: What social arrangement is the best motivation for tea
      workers?
      Markus: but yes there is a wider use of economics
      … SOCIo-economic
      … is a good way to put it!
      Andrius: What socio-economic arrangement is the best motivation for tea
      workers?
      Markus: What socio-economic arrangement is the best motivation for tea
      workers?
      … we agree!
      … and that does encompass the consumer end too
      Andrius: Now, what do you think or suppose is the answer?
      Markus: as they are part of that arrangement
      … Well if I was to guesstimate
      … I would say one where they are getting a good amount of the profit
      … they feel that they are appreciated as producers
      … Remember I have worked in fields
      … harvesting crops
      … and that they feel all the workers along the chain are benefiting
      … Chavez - Hugo Chavez I think
      … who was a Mexican activist looked at this
      Andrius: so what is your guess as to a helpful arrangement?
      Markus: you can read his and similar stories on this in José Bove's book
      Andrius: which would help us focus our efforts
      Markus: OK
      … thanks
      … 'you are helpful in this regard!
      … Pour la désobéissance civique (2004) with Gilles Luneau
      … is the book
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Bov%C3%A9#Publications
      … hey andrius anything else you want to discuss??
      Andrius: yes
      Markus: book only available in french
      … OK
      Andrius: OK so how would you call that approach in English?
      Markus: how is the trip?
      … José calls is Civil Disobeidiance
      … BUT I woudl say rather its Societal Responsibility
      Andrius: Societal Responsibility - we can list that as your
      "technology", yes?
      Markus: for example the US constituion says the Right to bear arms to
      defend liberty is an example of this
      … YEs
      … Or maybe Societal Duty
      … Responsibility sounds better
      Andrius: OK, Societal Duty
      … OK, Societal Responsibility
      Markus: Social Responsibility
      Andrius: yes OK
      … Social Responsibility
      Markus: no you are right Societal Responsibility
      Andrius: ok
      … Societal Responsibility
      Markus: is better as its to a society rather than just social
      Andrius: So now our goal is to collect related stories.
      … Of course, if we get some extra stories that's fine for our bonuses.
      Markus: OK
      Andrius: But at least there is an overall direction so we can be
      helpful to each other.
      Markus: ok
      … we have clarity
      Andrius: So I can ask our workers in Africa to look for different
      societal arrangements, yes?
      Markus: do you want to distil or shall I?'
      Andrius: And see both the good or the bad
      … I will share our whole chat
      … and then we can rewrite parts of it.
      Markus: and then post to wiki and social ag and mf grps
      Andrius: yes
      Markus: OK
      … share all!
      Andrius: So I have some funds that I will use to get you extra workers,
      ok?
      Markus: hey on aslightly realted matter
      … OK
      … cameroon sounds good
      Andrius: and make sure that your team
      Markus: what is the story there?
      Andrius: knows your question and
      … pursues it from its angle.
      Markus: OK
      Andrius: And please lets involve Prakash
      … and share your communication through Meaningful Inclusion so I can see,
      yes?
      Markus: I will try - did you chat with him via skype yet?
      Andrius: try to write publicly wherever you can
      … no I have not
      Markus: OK
      Andrius: but great if you can
      Markus: one other aside thing
      … I am trying to set up a Baltic art show
      … new talent
      … or newish
      … can you show stuff in Lithuania
      … and do you have some artists interested in showing abroad
      … ?
      … so far here in Finalnd
      … and Riga
      … ?
      Andrius: I have some great artist friends
      Markus: cool
      … you gave me an artist book when ou came to UK
      … and i saw some art stuff in your place
      … its with Benesek
      Andrius: yes we have artisits
      … ok
      Markus: benesek@...
      … cool!
      … best if I can have 1 contact
      … and then can develop
      Andrius: in Cameroon, Franz Nahrada has old contacts in a women's
      organization Actwid Kongadzem
      Markus: OK
      … so I ask Franz?
      Andrius: and he sent them computers many years ago but it didnt' work
      out because they didn't have Linux administrator
      … and now also Janet Feldman knows them
      … but now we're trying again
      Markus: ok
      Andrius: to get them a computer
      Markus: you know about Computer Aid
      … in the UK?
      http://www.computer-aid.org/
      … biggest in world
      Andrius: that's good to know
      Markus: you can apply online
      … also ISOC
      … is worth approachin
      … I think Samwel has some contacts there
      Andrius: good
      Markus: and they fit more in stuff we are doing
      Andrius: so they grow a tea called artimesium
      Markus: http://www3.undp.org/rc/forums/mgr/sdnpmgrs/msg00348.html
      … OK
      … I will explore!
      Andrius: ok this has been great
      … and I will work with others to work in a similar way.
      Markus: for me too!
      Andrius: And please lets keep adding entries!
      … Do you know how to do them?
      Markus: as I know lab funding is importamt
      Andrius: yes indeed
      Markus: well I am an ISOC member before leaving for UK
      … and I used to work in PC industry
      … leaving from UK I mean'
      … there is a good UK contact
      … and now there is a pan african office to support funding and projects
      … in Sudan I think?
      http://www.isoc.org/isoc/conferences/inet/06/mauritius.shtml
      … here is the African buro
      … anyway others can explore that I am too busy for much in africa
      Andrius: Yes, you just provide a direction.
      … And "include" everybody.
      Markus: :)
      … well i go now
      … so take care!
      … bye
      Andrius: peace
    • samuel kongere
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2007
        Dear all,

        I would love to share this with you from Tanzania,
        UYOGA IN 2007

         We wish all a very happy new year.
        UYOGA is looking forward to great things for 2007.
        First and foremost we would like to convey our sincere thanks to:
        1. Samuel Kongere-Udogo community development group-
        Co-coordinator for coming in Dar es salaam, Tanzania to inspire us
        to form an organisation which could help young community in?
        Tanzania.We say to Samuel that with your help thinks looks to
        Happen in a positive way, we won’t quit but collaborate with Udogo
        Community development group for the betterment of young people in East Africa.
        2. Agnes Maria Giraudo for good will Samuel visiting to Dar es Salaam to inspire us couldn’t be possible without your support, thanks for your generous heart to Tanzanian youth.
        3. Ms Lab is never forgotten, we appreciate everything in the lab for generation of ideas, and we wish to take part.
        UYOGA sees that the problems and inspirations of young people must be given due consideration in the development agenda, since they are clear an important population group. Effective youth policies and programmes needs to be closely targeted to take account of specific difference and needs.

        Activities Performed:
        I.                    We decided to start by introducing the group to the community in which it is going to work. On 1st December 2006 during the WORLD AIDS day members took part to introduce the organisation by explaining the aims and objectives to the young community, right present at the event. With first introduction the organisation has received many requests from youth to join in. Now the organisation has 26 members males and females.
        II.                 Members have been visiting other existing projects as to learn from them, projects visited are:(a) NGAO YOUTH GROUP based on youth doing with creating awareness against HIV/AIDS,DRUG ABUSE, and POVERTY ERADICATION, members have learnt more on how to organize different campaigns against HIV/AIDS and DRUG ABUSE.(b)YOUTH COLLITION based on youth for building education and empowerment ,the organisation has promise to assist on seminars and workshops to foster members’ understanding on issues related to youth.

         Activities underway:
        Organizing UYOGA community working staffs, members are carrying with informal meetings discussion groups debating on the issues related to youth as to help on creating awareness and understanding concerning youth matters.
        As to achieve the goal of having a better and organized group.
        -We are on the process to establish youth community clubs where young people will have opportunities to discuss and share experiences among themselves. In youth community clubs is where the concept of volunteering will be introduced.
        -Members’ self-employed activities: are those activities which our members have been doing through self-employment, we have designers, Mwanaid and Rose, Mwanaid has curious experience and skills obtained at Mwalimu Nyerere cultural centre in Dar Es Salaam. Our designers will offer trainings to unskilled young women on batik makings.
        -We are planning for skills up-grading in consultation with YOSEFO organisation providing free trainings on marketing.
        -Again we have started organizing kids to expose them to environments issues as to increase their understanding of our environment. Regarding Tanzania, children have no support from parents and people around then, to teach them about taking care of our environment, although during school hours do participate in activities related to environment care but when they back home everything is over, in many families children do labor instead of learning important things within their community, as a result they get tied and exhausted at the end of the day for nothing. We are planning to use children after school time to teach them about environment care and community education based on their ages and experiences where local materials are involved, our project is known as “Tree Learning”where children will able to understand the importance of trees and how to identify trees, and trees conservation, will programme is taking place after school hours and during weekends, as a way of motivating them we have organized sports games for kids, like we have one football team for kids living around Magomeni Area in Dar es Salaam, we supplied the team with two balls and we are now looking for someone to assist on sports wear like, sports shoes, sports jesses, balls and other sports equipments. The numbers of kids are 16 kids already in the programme; this will attract many kids to form teams in their neighbhood with the same goals.
        About the location UYOGA still has no location where everything could take place, but members really understand the important of locating things, now we are undertaking research traying to find a suitable location for our organisation.For income generating activities we are to start with not less than two income generating activities that will serve members and the community group from income troubles.
        -We have been discussing about the source of funds to finance all these activities,the only source of funds we have is by members contributions,but this comes very small since some members have no source of income.The organisation is traying to consult individuals,local organisation and the Government to see how they can help on the start.We  shall not regret if any individual or organization wishing to contribute to our community group.We are very committed to help young people through our project,keep on paying attention we are about to start sending stories through Ms Lab, we have many interesting stories about our community, we hope p share such rich experiences through Ms  Lab, an independent thinkers meeting point.
        We are welcoming suggestions from individuals and organizations concerning what we are planning.
        UYOGA community members say’ “No one can define happiness. You have to be unhappy to understand it’. We are unhappy ones, so we know what happiness means, we are finding happiness through helping others”

        Uyoga community development group,
         %Josephat Ndibalema,
        P. o. box  9140, Magomeni.
        Dar es salaam, Tanzania.

        in East Africa.

        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439
        FOSS ADMIRER
        Community Development

        Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
      • Maria Agnese Giraudo
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2007
          Dear Helen, William, Josephat and Samwel,
          I really enjoyed reading Uyoga report. I appreciate you strategy to contact  associations to learn from their experience. I think that involving children in environmental  issues and sport is very important too. Please answer soon to Andrius email providing your personal  information for myfoodstory project.
          By my side I'm  working, as a member of "Miche"  with other small associations in Rome dealing with Africa to coordinate our efforts to find financial support, sharing ideas and possibly know how and facilities.
          Do you plan to coordinate foodstory collection in other areas too? I could contact some friends in Ifakara and  put you  in touch with them.
          Keep in touch. All the best!
          Maria Agnese

          samuel kongere <samkongere2004@...> ha scritto:
[...]

          Vinci i biglietti per FIFA World Cup in Germania!