Share you World with children WSF comments

  • samuel kongere
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2007

      Hi Share with children,
      Another Day was Possible with free food to children. The previous days were very miserable to children who squeezed themselves in the venue on the third day and saw how expensive food was: could not afford to get it. Many children, even adults marked the penultimate day of the WSF Wednesday, as children staged a noisy sit in at the food court café, an extension of a hotel owned by country’s internal security Minister John Michuki. The children were angered by the way; the minister threatens everybody outside especially the street children and shooting of people in the name of criminals through the police force.
      The protestors who had previously had protested of free entrance, water and food on Tuesday, demanded free food for the slum children and Windsor café owned by the Minister. “He is capitalist who is exploiting people in our own space, demanded the protesters, by charging exorbitant prices for food”. There were other 50 food stalls in the forum but the street children who usually has rough time with minister’s directive only targeted Windsor because it is owned by the Minister is heavy handed by dealing with dissent, at one time raiding one newspaper house, street children in the interests of national security.

      When the protestors appeared adamant that, the children must be given free food. Windsor kitchen staff eventually began to give the children food. However, in the melee, adults also began to help themselves to edibles they could lay their hands on until the kitchen was wiped clean and the café closed shop. I wish, I had the guts of being a child, surely, food was selling at $4 to $5 and first day we went empty stomach. To the children another day was Possible with free food. How can, you go on tell slum children that another world is possible, while they do not have a day’s meal to make another world possible? The management at Windsor café declined to comment on the protest

      If the forum was discussing a right to live and have all your needs but the issue of food for one day to children was not a big deal until it was free. This is an issue of protesting for food on behalf of children shows that Africa’s attention to cover social ills can only be done through mob. The collective struggle seems to be the order of struggles in Africa. Nevertheless, people will be called names even when your struggle is genuine. Why can’t we be systematic in our struggle to heal the wrongs afflicted on us genuinely? If you are to feed children, get food feed them!
      The above-mentioned episode tells us very clearly, what happens when children as well as adults behave when there is no meal. The African children need fully formalized procedures for feeding. Eating habits not focused and this makes it very hard to control even in most homes and events should arrange food for children.
        Children Story WSF 2007 Nairobi
      Samwel Kongere

      MBITA  040305-KENYA.
      Cell: +254 725 600 439