“Another World is Possible” (Dunia Mbadala Yawezekana).

  • samuel kongere
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 24, 2007

      “Another World is Possible” (Dunia Mbadala Yawezekana).

      Efforts to fight corruption and punish those responsible for ethnic clashes filled the atmosphere as the Kenyan delegates demanded for constitutional reforms. The Kenyans are demanding for the establishment of truth and reconciliation commission to deal with past and current political, social and economic crimes. “Another World is possible” with the alternative changes the leaders are demanding, the 2004 Nobel Laureate Prof. Wangari Mathai also led a petition to the African Union members for failing to honor their pledge of their annual budgets of 15% for health care.  The South African Nobel Laureate Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu, who signed on behalf by Prof. Mathai, also petitioned this by calling the African leaders to act fast and implement their pledges to reverse the trends of treatable diseases in Africa. Arguably, there is tragic death of 8 million Africans annually to preventable, treatable, or manageable diseases, illness and health conditions.

      This is the first World Social Forum I am attending, but I have also gone and attended many forums. What is important the awareness it raises at the local and regional level. Many people will now know there is a global movement that addresses African s’ concerns about health, environment and governance. At individual level, we will go home with something that will make each person say I came, I learnt and I will take action in this direction. In such gatherings I try to push for my deepest question of “How I can help myself at the same time help others”, I will be happy, if the action I take back home is to be more optimistic on how my community can get information through modern technology and many taking risks to do this combined goal through willingness.

      The need to address Africa debts took many with storm and people are asking IMF and World Bank to be more considerate with Africa in their assistance.Althouth this was in the opinion of many in the forum, the attendance were not very committed to share outside session rooms. This made me realize all orgs are out to scramble for remaining Africa natural resources. Socio-neo libre-orgs will be the same as the Europeans petitioning for Africa colonization.

      My first session was on media and to us another World is possible with best practices. Speaking at the media session was the director of Highway Africa News Agency (HANA), Chris Kabwato said there is urgent need to engage governments in media to best practices because Africans are now moved by Euro-Centric content and are reduced as consumers only not producers. Mr. Kabwato warned that some of the alternative Medias in Africa heavily relied on donor funding for their operations and this is very serious and dangerous because they are not sustainable. The governments in Africa to create indigenous media with cultural relevant content were Access of media, citizenship versus consumerism; the North/South relationship, hegemony, diversity and pluralism.

      In addition, in the media session, the director Inter Press Service Ms Farai Samhungu revealed that although IPS was formed with the Ideal of the South to generate homegrown news, the agency is still donor dependent for 43 years later. A communication activist as me, Mr. Jason Nardi from Italy spoke about the liberalization of media content production. He said that the modern information communication technologies such as the internet had enabled individuals to produce their own news culminating in an information society.

      To counter this we need communities to be able to create and exchange their own content and use different platforms Jon Barnes from the PANOS London said that his organization his organization identified weaknesses and challenges within the African media and began  redressing them. PANOS was engaged to building African journalists’ capacity to report effectively on trade issues especially at international level where there is dearth of African generated content.

      Lastly, participants of seventh World Social Forum are being requested to join the struggle for depth reform of system of international institution. The pursue of the goals requires a stronger and more democratic process from all stakeholders, it is good to share and do organize yourself as the rest.

      Hope the World Social Forum brings changes by implementation.
      From Samwel WSF 2007 Nairobi.

      MBITA  040305-KENYA.
      Cell: +254 725 600 439
      FOSS ADMIRER
      Community Development

      8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
    • samuel kongere
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 24, 2007

        “Another World is Possible” (Dunia Mbadala Yawezekana).

        An alternative change melts every participants of the WSF in Nairobi, even though to most Kenyans life is miserable and you do not have to look for signs of poverty. Nairobi is home to 200 slums. Slum is life a way from the forums site and while discussing food security and sovereignty, we see bare seven-kilometer slum with young men and women are busy scratching out for a living. At a nearby market, James who sells chicken, said, “I know something is going on over there, but I really don’t know what it is”.
        Peter, an electrician, added.  “I would like to go to the Social forum and to be educated but getting there is very expensive to pay at the gate. I don’t have the money”. I was telling you the back street accountabilities to the forum.

        Poverty rages high even though Kenya government is saying the economy has gone up by 6%, Nairobi the capital is one of the poorest in the world, it presents a study contrasts; here there is great wealth, as well as deep poverty, with all the telltale of economy signs of  inequality that the forum participants want to wipe out. The UN ranks 152nd out of 177 countries in terms of human development and World Bank average annual income here $460.

        The message this forum conveys Is clear: it is time for the world to consider Africa for what it is-a continent in political and social turmoil. Nairobi will contribute this to happen, trying to restore the political dimension that Africa deserves, and prevent as merely a continent “to be helped” through traditional international cooperation policies. Nairobi 2007 also is chance to acknowledge the role of African social actors as promoters of innovation through their daily practices, which has been one of the goals of the World Social forum since its initiation.

        Community-level media is a  step towards democratization  but is not enough …..93% 0f the audience is still captive of the monopolistic structure of corporate media, we will make little change in enhancing media and communication.

        Samwel WSF Nairobi 2007

        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439
        FOSS ADMIRER
        Community Development

        Looking for earth-friendly autos?
      • Leonard Boniface
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 24, 2007
          Dear Samwel,
          Great for updating us on what happening at WSF in Nairobi . On the statistics about Nairobi and poverty, yes, sounds I agree but also, Nairobi is among of the best cities in Africa and respectively anywhere in the world. The Nairobi slums are open to the media, but many countries have slums even than Kenya , and poverty is everywhere in the world but in different extend. I think is good they discuss a lot as an example of Kenya and its capital city Nairobi used to be called "Small London" in past, and hopeful in future if corruption will end up, Nairobi might get back in chart as among of the best cities, well systematical built and better life as it was in 1980s.I love Nairobi and have been many times, and it's looks fantastic city, but complicated life especial to the  regular people. I like what Kenya archived so far in Education sectors, and hope other things will develop perfectly through the East African Community, and Tanzania now is doing very good in the economic improving, and both countries are very  rich in natural resources.

          Hope the WSF will create a big social change in our countries and the world.
          Best,
          Leonard.

          samuel kongere <samkongere2004@...> wrote:

[...]

          in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
          to find your fit.

        • jeff buderer
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 24, 2007
            Leonard ,

            thanks for your comments.

            I am curious about the situation in Tanzania. Possibly you could tell us
            more about the situation I had there were some water problems there but
            that economically the country was proving resilient there in that
            Tanzania has more limited natural resources than many other countries in
            Africa. You perspective would be very helpful..

            Jeff

          • Leonard Boniface
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 24, 2007
              Dear Jeff,
              Thanks for your reply and the comment. Yes, the problem of water is there in Tanzania , and at least now things are not bad on it like the long times it used to be, but more safe and availability of that important free good needed.
              Ohhhh Tanzania is very rich, and have too much resources, let we start with minerals, these are;- gold, diamonds, tanzanite and various other gemstones, natural gas, iron ore, coal, spring water, phosphates, soda ash and salt.

              Wildlife and Tourism ; 12 National Parks, the Ngorongoro conservation Area, 13 Game reserves, 38 Game Controlled Areas: National Cultural Heritage Sites (about 120 sites)

              Fisheries ;  three large lakes: Victoria , Tanganyika and Nyasa, the Indian Ocean coastline, rivers and wetlands. Potential yield of fish from natural waters is estimated to be 730,000 metric tons annually, present catch is 350,000 metric tons.

              Forestry and Beekeeping Non-reserved forest-land (1,903.8 km2), forest/woodlands with national parks etc (200 km2), and Gazetted forest reserves (1,251.7 km2).

              This is Tanzania, available in East Africa, and hope in many years to come will be unbelievable, and we know even Australia was not developed in 100 years back, but now it’s unbelievable country. With all those resources, do you think TZ might be developed country in 100 years to come or less?. It’s fantastic country and got a real bright future!. Even in my region I was born,Shinyanga, there is too much diamonds, and even near by the roads if you are closed to Mwadui Diamond Center, people are searching for those minerals, in the region people are farmers, and there is supper cotton in the region goes to the world market every year!. Hope poverty will end up at some point.
              Sincerely,
              Leonard.

              Boniface wrote:
> [...]
              > as merely a continent “to be helped” through traditional
              > international cooperation policies. Nairobi 2007 also is chance to
              > acknowledge the role of African social actors as promoters of
              > innovation through their daily practices, which has been one of
              > the goals of the World Social forum since its initiation.
              > Community-level media is a step towards democratization but is not
              > enough …..93% 0f the audience is still captive of the monopolistic
              > structure of corporate media, we will make little change in
              > enhancing media and communication.
              > Samwel WSF Nairobi 2007
              >

              > Samwel Okech kongere
              > Nyamuga primary school
              > P.O BOX 191,
              > MBITA 040305-KENYA.
              > Cell: +254 725 600 439
              > FOSS ADMIRER
              > Community Development
              > UDOGO youth development group-coordinator

              http://www.globalvillages.info/index.php/TheResourceToolshed/HolisticHelping

              Please note our rule: Each letter sent to the Holistic Helping group enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless it explicitly states otherwise. Thank you! http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:holistichelping-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:holistichelping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Franz Nahrada
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 24, 2007
                Leonard Boniface writes:
                >This is Tanzania, available in East Africa, and hope in many years to
                >come will be unbelievable, and we know even Australia was not developed
                >in 100 years back, but now it’s unbelievable country. With all those
                >resources, do you think TZ might be developed country in 100 years to
                >come or less?. It’s fantastic country and got a real bright future!. Even
                >in my region I was born,Shinyanga, there is too much diamonds, and even
                >near by the roads if you are closed to Mwadui Diamond Center, people are
                >searching for those minerals, in the region people are farmers, and there
                >is supper cotton in the region goes to the world market every year!. Hope
                >poverty will end up at some point.

                are you sure? I am not. The engines that turn diamonds and bananas into
                wealth are still elsewhere, and by their shere productivity they make it
                prohibitive to compete with them. So the natural wealth of a country like
                TZ usually becomes social and economic value somewhere else, and that is
                the way the world moves into a greater and greater disaster by the daily
                consolidation of the world market, as described here:

                http://www.gegenstandpunkt.com/english/poverty.html

                The only way out of this trap is to see that an ever - expanding portion
                of mankind is falling off the crazy merry-go-round of this competition,
                while more and more resources, knowledge, skills are becoming unuseable
                and idle in the framework of hypercompetitiveness. Only if we bring them
                back home and network globally to support sustainable and rational
                self-sufficiency everywhere - and escape the deadly competition while
                using all powers of cooperation to augment our local systems- will we have
                a chance to make another world possible.

                Franz
              • ibrahim halkano
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 24, 2007
                  I agree with Franz that Tanzania just like most of the developing countries are in a rat race. Rat race has very well been described by Rober kyosaki in his book the poor dad and the rich dad. The developing countries borrow funds, get grant from the developed world, these funds have conditions attached to it and the contracts of the implementations is taken by the funding country thus the money comes into Tanzania and is returned back with interest which can be inform of the rich natural resouces e.g $100M was granted to Tanzania by country A and this was aimed at building the road from one point to the other. The tender to build the road is won by the contractor of country A, all the manpower is imported from country A, all the materials is bought from country A In the end  the road is completed with and in Minister in country A comes to open it, the media eats all this up and makes much news about it how country A is helping build Tanzania and the road is named after country A, then Tanzania now starts repaying the  grant for a period of time using the tax payers money!. Lots of that happen in foreign investments where all the prime businesses are owned, run and controlled by investors who take away the profits and pump out the  resources.
                  So what happens to Tanzania? its got lots of debt to pay for, but the roads to be built is not all done there is much more to be done so they Go and borrow from another county as the loop continues and the rat race is endless.

                  Franz Nahrada <f.nahrada@...> wrote:
                  Leonard Boniface writes:
                  >This is Tanzania, available in East Africa, and hope in many years to
                  >come will be unbelievable, and we know even Australia was not developed
                  >in 100 years back, but now it’s unbelievable country. With all those
                  >resources, do you think TZ might be developed country in 100 years to
                  >come or less?. It’s fantastic country and got a real bright future!. Even
                  >in my region I was born,Shinyanga, there is too much diamonds, and even
                  >near by the roads if you are closed to Mwadui Diamond Center, people are
                  >searching for those minerals, in the region people are farmers, and there
                  >is supper cotton in the region goes to the world market every year!. Hope
                  >poverty will end up at some point.

                  are you sure? I am not. The engines that turn diamonds and bananas into
                  wealth are still elsewhere, and by their shere productivity they make it
                  prohibitive to compete with them. So the natural wealth of a country like
                  TZ usually becomes social and economic value somewhere else, and that is
                  the way the world moves into a greater and greater disaster by the daily
                  consolidation of the world market, as described here:

                  http://www.gegensta ndpunkt.com/ english/poverty. html

                  The only way out of this trap is to see that an ever - expanding portion
                  of mankind is falling off the crazy merry-go-round of this competition,
                  while more and more resources, knowledge, skills are becoming unuseable
                  and idle in the framework of hypercompetitivenes s. Only if we bring them
                  back home and network globally to support sustainable and rational
                  self-sufficiency everywhere - and escape the deadly competition while
                  using all powers of cooperation to augment our local systems- will we have
                  a chance to make another world possible.

                  Franz

                  Kindest Regards,

                  Ibrahim Halkano A
                  Oracle Functional Consultant
                  Vesl Technologies Limited
                  JM MALL Building, Samora Avenue
                  Dar Es Salaam,Tanzania
                  Tel: +255-22-2135336
                  Fax:+255-22-2135428
                  Cell:+255-784-493775
                  Website: www.vesltech.com

                  Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
                  in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

                • Franz Nahrada
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 25, 2007
                    Ibrahim writes:

                    >I agree with Franz that Tanzania just like most of the developing
                    >countries are in a rat race. Rat race has very well been described by
                    >Rober kyosaki in his book the poor dad and the rich dad. The developing
                    >countries borrow funds, get grant from the developed world, these funds
                    >have conditions attached to it and the contracts of the implementations
                    >is taken by the funding country thus the money comes into Tanzania and is
                    >returned back with interest which can be inform of the rich natural
                    >resouces e.g $100M was granted to Tanzania by country A and this was
                    >aimed at building the road from one point to the other. The tender to
                    >build the road is won by the contractor of country A, all the manpower
                    >is imported from country A, all the materials is bought from country A In
                    >the end the road is completed with and in Minister in country A comes
                    >to open it, the media eats all this up and makes much news about it how
                    >country A is helping build Tanzania and the road is named after country
                    >A, then Tanzania now starts repaying the grant for a period of time
                    >using the tax payers money!. Lots of that happen in foreign investments
                    >where all the prime businesses are owned, run and controlled by investors
                    >who take away the profits and pump out the resources.
                    >So what happens to Tanzania? its got lots of debt to pay for, but the
                    >roads to be built is not all done there is much more to be done so they
                    >Go and borrow from another county as the loop continues and the rat race
                    >is endless.

                    Very good point. And essentially, the very reason why there even is a road
                    (withstanding trucks) and not - for example - a communication system for
                    the villages self - reliance and self - education, is the fact that
                    "development" means the obligation of the - say - TZ government to
                    transport off its natural wealth to repay its loans by letting
                    transporting off the diamonds and fruits. "Production" is either the
                    temporary use of sensationally skilled, cheap and disciplined workforce
                    near the road and near the countries capital (aka "globalisation") or the
                    transportation of wealth to the port or airport, preferrably with the
                    destination country A. "Decolonialisation" is when country A has lost its
                    exclusive rights to this usage and shares with country B or C.

                    But the leaders of each developing country have a very good conscience. It
                    is the only way to build a great nation, to weave a flag, to create a
                    people out of tribes. And there is lot of personell wanting to do the job
                    of national leaders, the competition for this only real source of income
                    is immense and deadly. And even those who found "liberation movements" are
                    faced with the constraint that the only way to powerfully contest their
                    opponents is to indulge into the same logics.

                    Franz

                    PS: No, I do not say there is no way out. governments and civil society
                    globally have found new ways to team up and work together. But one needs
                    to very carefully understand that the new logic of Global Villages is a
                    hundred percent opposed to the logic of the Global Village, even if it can
                    only start growing in the latters nitches today.
                  • samuel kongere
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 26, 2007

                      Dear all,
                      “Another World is Possible” (Dunia Mbadala Yawezekana).
                       As one day to the world social Forum curtains brought down in the Green city under the sun, as Nairobi popularly known, some will call it a success, while to others it will be doubt. To some WSF is dispensable; others will question its values, if not so its future and nature. The gathering had the largest capacity with delegates coming from far as Asia, Europe, Americas and across Africa. The question is, What did the ordinary persons get out of the five day event attended by 50,000 activists by events debated, networked, chanted by slogans, danced, against current social ills?
                      The forum was full with Africa experience and perspective, consensus is needed a part from all embracing slogan of “another world is Possible”. The Africa experience to many is important, is wonderful to see the global issues griping the WSF through an African perspective. People were not only talking on the social ills done to Africa but also discussing the modalities to address them. The views of many, who came to experience the Africa social, economic and political mistakes for the first time, saw Africa problem as real, the strong presence of the young people inspired many people, apart from gender, rights and economic issues lingering in many people’s minds. We all talked about information sharing, security and saw arms are the only commodity not controlled. It is important to increase mobilization, to meet and exchange ideas, the sessions were interesting. It was pity it doesn’t had enough coverage from the media we need a platform for the people, not enormous appeal for organizations to exhibit the products.
                      I may say, here that, although my interests to my community is, wireless internet connection, many workshops were based on equality, good governance, land rights, poverty, etc. The African edition of WSF with its motto, “people’s struggles, “people’s alternatives” it is under question if the WSF 2007 in Nairobi will achieve the goals set to be more than a civil society’s jamboree! Will the WSF achieve myriad social, economic and political issues that haunt the continent and are most often fuelled by geo-politics? Will it step Africa’s poor state; despite many years of humanitarian aid, debts, which cannot be paid, while Africa continue to reel from endemic hunger and poverty?
                        We are in the middle of world over revolution. Some will call this revolution globalization: some will call it knowledge revolution. I went a long in the fourth day to look information revolution possibility through the sessions. Whatever we call it, we are witnessing a changing of power equation, Power is moving from the center to the periphery and education for all covered my day. Vertical command and control structures are eroding and are being replaced by horizontal networks of social communities and collaborative platforms. When the world moves from local to global, the liberal ideology evolved based on the need to protect the individual against the collective. Now may be the new imperative is to protect the collective against the individual. If we can find the new balance, then we hope to make a flattened network for the good for all.
                      My first experience from the WSF, the flattering world needs more opportunities to which individuals and institutions must adapt. What we need to do is to connect, and reconnect, from business, politics, and civil society to form new coalitions to improve the state of our world and shape new collective will through information sharing. I had to get several contacts and moving through this will enhance my willingness to help my community access information. I am urging the people to come from NGOISM to ACTIVISM where we are going to have more bargaining power. I hope to start following the links of those interested in community information media and how community can be connected through radius of access points, many from Italy were willing and promised to get in touch with them later, our counterparts for West Africa (Gambia and West Sahara) and South Africa will be very helpful to our desire. Free and open source software promoters challenged the forum by not issuing concern on information. This was seen on the fourth day when many locals complained of not getting information before, about the WSF.
                       “Alluta Continua”, WSF 2007 Nairobi Kenya.
                      Samwel

                      MBITA  040305-KENYA.
                      Cell: +254 725 600 439
                      FOSS ADMIRER