FW (from MS): Grief for Hrant Dink, Independent Thinker/Shahrez/Salah Choudhury: update?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2007

      Dear Friends,

      Here is a posting which shows the importance of caring for one another, and learning how to build bridges, the better to help each other. Sometimes this carries a heavy price, about which you can read below. Such a life--and sacrifice--should not go unnoticed, and this links with recent posts on faith too

      Thank you,  Shahrez, for postings related to a similar theme, that of tolerance and understanding, intolerance and cruelty, the importance of fellowship, and caring for others, no matter who they are in terms of nationality, religion, gender, and other such identities.  As Terry Mace says, the "oneness of all".  Benoit, Maria, Jeff, Markus, and others will have important things to say on this score, and thanks to Andrius for his eloquence.

      Along these lines, is there an update on Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury, Andrius, abt whom you posted in November?

      With sorrow at this loss for the world, celebration about a life well-lived, and renewed determination--hopefully by all of us--to ensure that someday such things will not happen!  Janet

      Subject:   [minciu_sodas_en] Grief for Hrant Dink, Independent Thinker

      In December, I spent one week in Istanbul, Turkey to look for independent
      thinkers.  I lead the Minciu Sodas laboratory http://www.ms.lt for serving
      and organizing independent thinkers.  I welcome all who signed up for our new
      Turkish group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/minciu_sodas_TR

      Today I read that Hrant Dink was assasinated.  What a loss for all of Turkey
      and all of us! I was fortunate to visit Hrant Dink at the offices for his
      Armenian-Turkish newspaper Agos.  He was recommended and respected by the
      Turks I met as a truly independent thinker.  Hrant Dink was glad to learn of
      our efforts and signed up for our groups.  He shared and we posted his
      deepest value in life: "Standing up to oppression".

      Standing up to oppression means for me that we all do our part.  Some people
      take big risks and may suffer all in this world.  Others take small risks.
      But we are all in solidarity if we take some risk for truth and justice.
      This is how we protect our champions who take the big risks, is that we the
      people cover the whole spectrum of risks, like a human chain that offers no
      gap, lets no champion be isolated, because on either side there is always a
      brother or sister holding hands along the chain.

      Please know that our "independent thinking" is very real, but especially
      if we are devoted to love and truth.  We can judge by such foul crimes.  We can
      respond by taking to heart each other's deepest values and linking them with
      our own, so that we all may hear each other and respond, and we not be
      isolated.

      Thank you, Hrant, for your stand and inspiration.

      I invite us to share our values and concerns so that we might care for each
      other. Thank you!

      http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7006191364

      Editor Of Turkey's Armenian Newspaper Assasinated

      January 19, 2007 2:41 p.m. EST

      Linda Young - All Headline News Staff Writer

      Istanbul, Turkey (AHN) - Hrant Dink, an Armenian-Turkish newspaper editor was
      and killed outside his office on Friday. Dink, 53, was the editor of Turkey's
      only Armenian language newspaper.

      He had served as editor-in-chief and columnist of the Agos from 1996 until
      his death today from a gunshot wound to the head. Dink was born in western
      Armenia and immigrated, at age 7, with his family to Turkey.

      Dink was convicted of insulting the Turkish state last year over comments he
      made about the mass deaths during World War I of ethnic Armenians in what is
      now Turkey. Dink received a six-month suspended sentence.

      Many Armenians and foreign historians view the WWI deaths as Turkish genocide
      but the Turkish government denies the events took place.

      Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan told Bloomberg news that he condemned the
      murder as an attack against the "Turkish nation's togetherness and peace
      and Turkey's stability". Turkish stocks fell after the killing, Bloomberg
      reported.

      Dink was leaving his office in the early afternoon when he was shot three
      times by unknown assailants, the New York Times reported that Turkey's
      semiofficial Anatolian News Agency reported today.

      Both the New York Times and Bloomberg News reported that Dink had received
      numerous threats against his life.