Thanks Terry and Jeff!/guidelines from Agenda's site (thanks for passing to FF, Pam!)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2007
      Hello Dear Terry, Jeff, and All,

      Terrific to hear from you, and so happy that you're eager to try this out!  Below are the guidelines, and I have checked to see if it is in fact OK for men to submit papers, which it seems to be (I've looked at archives of stories, that list the likes of "Alfred" and other traditionally male names..."Terry" could go both ways, haha!!...but they do ask for a pic).

      In my posting, I was thinking about a collaborative effort "in-house" between women and men who are working in this area. So it appears that either will be fine, ie submissions by women, men, and probably both.

      With further questions, you can contact the Editor, Kristin Palitza, who coincidentally I know from her earlier work with Artists for Humanity in Durban, S Africa. "Agenda" is also based in Durban. Her info is: Kristin Palitza, Editor, Agenda, 20 Diakonia Avenue, Durban, 4001, South Africa, Tel +27 31 304 7001, Fax +27 31 304 7018, editor@... , www.agenda.org.za .

      Thank so much, Terry and Jeff (who also posted in the affirmative at 1village), and look forward to discussing this subject generally and sharing our ICTs work related to women!  All best wishes and "e"-powerment, Janet

      Terry writes:

      Greetings Janet, this sounds like a really interesting idea! I'd like to submit an outline initially and test the waters from a male-gendered perspective, however, as you've said, 'men welcome also' so, I'll take that at face value and begin work on an outline for submission to the editor. Do we know the total required word length and if successful writers get credit and retain their respective copyrights. Do successful writers get 'free' copies or access to the publication without cost? If you don't know the answers to my question no problem... ...thanks for the post...

      • The Article (6000 words max) should be based on new research and contain analysis and argument
      • The Briefing is not expected to be heavily theorised and is an adaptable format for writers to write on a wide range of subjects
      • The Focus examines an aspect of a chosen theme in detail
      • The Profile looks in detail at an organisation, project or legislation, or a person
      • The Reportback  is self-explanatory ie reports on meetings, conferences workshops etc
      • The Review typically reviews books or movies
      • The Interview can record a conversation among a group of people or a one-to-one interview in which the writer asks the interviewee/s questions on a subject
      • The Open Forum is a vehicle for carrying debate and argument, or pieces which deal with argument and difference of opinion on a subject/issue
      • The Perspective is an adaptable format in which writers are able to use a more personal reflective, narrative style

      Editorial processes and peer review
      All contributions are externally reviewed and attempts are made to provide constructive criticism to take the writers through to publication of their work. Agenda values new and primary research. Peer review helps to develop the writer's capacity and helps them to develop their work. Copy received first goes through the external peer review process after which writers receive comments regarding the further development of the work for publication. External reviewers also comment on the suitability of publication of the work in Agenda. Revised manuscripts are resubmitted and go through the second process with the Editorial Advisory Board - we revert to writers with additional comments and suggestions.

      Contribution guidelines:

      • Abstract must be included
      • Write in an accessible and understandable style
      • Inform, educate or raise debate
      • Try to pin down reasons for contradictions and point out differences of opinion
      • Provide an analysis and an argument
      • Be sensitive to but not uncritical of how gender, class and race affect the reporting of  an event
      • Make sure that all opinions and facts are sourced and referenced according to Agenda style
      • Include an author biography
      • Include a head-and-shoulders author photo
      • Provide graphics or photos to complement the contribution (300dpi, 210 x 140mm)