Call for Writers: "Women and ICTs" Issue of Journal"Agenda" (Jan 28th deadline)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2007
      Hello Dear Jeff, Markus, Pam, and All,

      Great to hear from you, and you read my mind!  Whatever you'd like to do would be excellent, and I look forward to hearing from you and all!

      Am also passing this along to Markus (who has written to me abt women and meaningful inclusion...THANKS so much, Markus, and will respond to you this week) and Pam (forums), and maybe we can create an entry which reflects all of our various interests and activities!

      With thanks and here's to the "write" stuff! Janet

               *Contributions:*
      > >     Contributions need to be written in English language and in a
      > >     style accessible to a wide audience. Please submit abstracts to
      > >     editor@...
      > >
      > >     All submissions must contain the following:
      > >     Specify the specific key area you would like to write on
      > >     Provide a 200-300 word overview/abstract
      > >     Provide full contact details: your name, institution/organisation,
      > >     telephone, email and the country in which you reside/country of origin
      > >
      > >     Deadline: Please submit no later than *January 28th, 2007.*
      > >

      > >     Background
      > >     ICTs are key tools to transform the way women live, and the way
      > >     development takes place. The use of ICTs enables more information
      > >     to be found, retrieved and disseminated faster than ever before �
      > >     it means we are moving to an information- and knowledge-based
      > >     society. ICTs have many potential benefits for women, for example
      > >     an increased ability to work from home, improved employment
      > >     opportunities in the fast-growing IT sector, improved global
      > >     market access through e-commerce and improved access of women,
      > >     especially rural women, to distance learning and distance work
      > >     programme.

                Yet, ICT use remains difficult, if not impossible, for the
      > >     majority of women worldwide. Women often find themselves at a
      > >     disadvantage, whether through a perception that technology is a
      > >     male domain or due to lack of skills, education, opportunity or
      > >     access to finance. There is also a lack of gendered access to ICTs
      > >     and ICT training - especially for rural women; a lack of awareness
      > >     of women to the benefits of ICTs and language barriers to the use
      > >     of ICTs for non-native speakers of English.

                There are multiple challenges to ICTs becoming a positive force