Call for Writers: "Women and ICTs" Issue of Journal "Agenda" (Jan 28th deadline)

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2007
      Dear Friends,

      This is a great opportunity for some in our groups to write on a pressing and important subject, and hope to see a submission or two (I may write one, and perhaps Helen, Maria...men welcome too!).  With thanks, and here's to an agenda for women's empowerment in 2007, which ultimately empowers us all!  Janet

      Call for Writers:

      To send contributions for the upcoming Agenda journal on Women and ICTs (working title)

      At the forefront of feminist publishing in South Africa for 20 years, the Agenda journal raises debate around women�s rights and gender issues. The journal encourages critical thinking, debate and social activism and strengthens the capacity of women and men to challenge gender discrimination and injustices.

      Agenda will publish a journal focussing on the topic of Women and ICTs in May 2007.

      This Agenda journal will explore how women can take advantage of the ICT revolution and what women�s obstacles are to using ICTs.

      Proposed contributions should cover one or more of the following key areas from a women�s rights or feminism perspective:
      What opportunities will ICTs offer women in achieving the Millennium Development Goals? What are the obstacles to using ICTs to economically empower women? How can ICTs empower women in the informal economy? How can ICT policies be engendered?
      What are the dangers of creating a digital divide, a disparity between those who make use of ICTs efficiently and effectively, and those who do not? Do women in Africa have the capacity and skills to make effective use of ICTs? The ICT revolution has only really impacted the major cities so far - how can we deploy a sustainable ICT infrastructure that empowers marginalised people living in rural areas, particularly women?
      Contributions:

      Contributions need to be written in English language and in a style accessible to a wide audience. Please submit abstracts to editor@....

      All submissions must contain the following:
      Specify the specific key area you would like to write on
      Provide a 200-300 word overview/abstract
      Provide full contact details: your name, institution/organisation, telephone, email and the country in which you reside/country of origin

      Deadline: Please submit no later than January 28th, 2007.

      Background
      ICTs are key tools to transform the way women live, and the way development takes place. The use of ICTs enables more information to be found, retrieved and disseminated faster than ever before � it means we are moving to an information- and knowledge-based society. ICTs have many potential benefits for women, for example an increased ability to work from home, improved employment opportunities in the fast-growing IT sector, improved global market access through e-commerce and improved access of women, especially rural women, to distance learning and distance work programme.

      Yet, ICT use remains difficult, if not impossible, for the majority of women worldwide. Women often find themselves at a disadvantage, whether through a perception that technology is a male domain or due to lack of skills, education, opportunity or access to finance. There is also a lack of gendered access to ICTs and ICT training - especially for rural women; a lack of awareness of women to the benefits of ICTs and language barriers to the use of ICTs for non-native speakers of English.

      There are multiple challenges to ICTs becoming a positive force for women's economic empowerment, including the large percentage of women in developing countries who work in the informal sector; the lack of support for women working in the formal sector and the lack of infrastructure in developing countries for conducting e-commerce. Engendering ICTs is not merely about greater use of ICTs by women. It is about transforming the ICT systems using a rights-based approach.

      Kristin Palitza
      Editor

      Agenda
      Empowering Women for Gender Equity
      20 Diakonia Avenue
      Durban, 4001
      South Africa

      Tel +27 31 304 7001
      Fax +27 31 304 7018
      editor@...
      www.agenda.org.za

      submitted by Janet Feldman, kaippg@...
    • jeff buderer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2007
        Janet,

        Thanks for sharing that with us.

        We could see this a group effort and see what ideas the groups can come
        up with and then a couple of us can volunteer and then refine those
        ideas into a polished abstract that we could then submit by the deadline
        date.

        I am also including the Winneba Linux User Group
        <http://www.wilugghana.org> (WiLUG). Kafui (OVF Ghana Director) has been
        successful in encouraging young women to participate and take leadership
        roles in developing the WiLUG at the University of Education in Winneba.
        I think it would be interesting to hear some of their ideas and
        perspectives on this subject and see if they might be interested in
        submitting something or possibly we could do it as collaborative effort. \\\

        I will share some of some of my thoughts and ideas (as it relates to OVF
        mission and vision) about this subject later.

        Jeff

        Feldman wrote:

> [...]
        > disadvantage, whether through a perception that technology is a
        > male domain or due to lack of skills, education, opportunity or
        > access to finance. There is also a lack of gendered access to ICTs
        > and ICT training - especially for rural women; a lack of awareness
        > of women to the benefits of ICTs and language barriers to the use
        > of ICTs for non-native speakers of English.
        > There are multiple challenges to ICTs becoming a positive force
        > for women's economic empowerment, including the large percentage
        > of women in developing countries who work in the informal sector;
        > the lack of support for women working in the formal sector and the
        > lack of infrastructure in developing countries for conducting
        > e-commerce. Engendering ICTs is not merely about greater use of
        > ICTs by women. It is about transforming the ICT systems using a

      • Maria Agnese Giraudo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 11, 2007
          Dear Janet, Helen, Leonard, Andrius  and all,
          thanks Janet for  your invitation. I would like that some African women, living in Africa  write articles,  rather than   European or American. Please Helen  and some other student in Dar  you can do this! Leonard you can inform of this initiative women in Tanzania!!!
          I appreciate Janet  your intelligent and warm support to everybody!!

          Contributions need to be written in English language and in a style accessible to a wide audience. Please submit abstracts to editor@agenda. org.za.

[...]

          editor@agenda. org.za
          www.agenda.org. za

          submitted by Janet Feldman, kaippg@earthlink. net

          Vinci i biglietti per FIFA World Cup in Germania!

        • Leonard Boniface
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 11, 2007
            Dear Maria,Janet,Hellen and all,
            Yes, it’s real important to let them know and am going to post the note with info in some of the forums so that many will participate. Since many women in Tanzania are aware of ICTs and its impact, so there is great contribution on their participation. In few years ago Tanzania said to be number 2 in Africa after South Africa on ICTs' availability and cheapest like computers(do any tax in TZ etc),but I'm sure Rwanda will lead or be number 2 in near future. In cell phones issues, TZ said to be number 2 after South Africa just two weeks ago, due to the high technology of the phones feature installed with Vodacom Tanzania, people can see to each other on phone in different location while talking, and this service even not much exciting in developed countries to so many people since is expensive to be connected with those companies, so there is a lot with ICTs in TZ(Tanzania) developed.so, women can be connected in many ways with ICTs and hope a lot of stories will be turned before the deadline.
            Kind regards,
            Leonard

            Janet Feldman <kaippg@earthlink. net> ha scritto:
[...]

          • samuel kongere
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 11, 2007

              Dear All… and best wishes to all,

              I know the days for the WSF is nearing and we are all going to be there physically and in mind. All is pleasure to thank anyone who had the opportunity, to wish all of us wonderful memories for 2006, with the emergence of 2007, we are thinking great and Andrius has produced an Almanac 2007 for all of us which, I am to print and use in making the people of the world know more about our think tank Miniciu-Sodas Laboratories and many of the working groups headed by brave, energetic, hard working network agents of independent thinkers.

              There are bigger tasks ahead for me this year but I put all my weight behind the brave, energetic, hard working network agents. I thank Maria Agnese for her good connections, Janet for the ever-dying efforts for networks and possible connections wherever one goes. I trust with such efforts a head this year; we are thinking of a possible converge for us all. I thought and determined to meet Jeff in Nairobi at the WSF but all failed sadly due to George Chan’s ailments, sorry, I am hoping to go long range with Jeff’s advice on the WiFi plans for my community. As I pray for George this year, I thank Benoit for his mails and words of endurance, keep it up Benoit I love praying and fellowships.

              Jeff, I know we are pursuing the same goal for this wireless connection and my hopes are to be one of the experts for this. I still owe you the best thanks for the efforts you are doing for me…and your encouraging experience will be excellent if our idea is either realized now or later depending on the availability of resources and opportunities. Markus has been the most inspiring fellow for the last year and I think he will do all he can to continue connecting me. I am now one of the Couch Surfing members and friends are in need of my assistance when traveling to East Africa , Thank Markus.

              Lucas, I am not hearing from you, but the experience I received from you about bird flu and the people I interviewed makes me work with experience. It is good to do science research also in a community like this, the veterinary Officer who helped me through, is now doing poultry rearing training and the community is putting up with much care on the chicks not like before. I still need to expand the experience to make them sell the best quality chicks. I do not know whether you are nowadays reading my progress on pursuing for a community wireless connection! We lost track, and I have been busy by collecting food stories all over, I hope to hear from you.

              Helmut, I hope this year is advancing up and it is good you are now working well on the Prowiki Translation, nice good experienced people. I still wait to hear your comments. …..and continue to work together as accelerators to gear development for our think tank Lab.

              Many more experiences and our counterparts in Uganda , Tanzania and Kenya--- -----Bravo! For excellent contributions, there is a lot for us to do and we better put our topics across, for members to know our hidden projects and talents. Willy, Hellen, Josephat, Mwanaidi, Rose, Flavian and all the new comers in Uyoga bring stories affront from your community we need to share your experiences. Fred, Charles from Uganda where are you people, we do not hear you! I thank Ken Owino for the communications, he cares about people and Francis Opiyo, and men we are hoping for a successful dream pull up, I know Derrick is back in Kenya, please send mails to and join my team working the food story with a possibility of taking risks to help the community. We better join efforts with Amos Owino, Tom Ochuka, David Mutua, Brian Nyangi, Julius Ochungo New member and all in Udogo. We hope to sell our art products and Brian Nyangi is having all the products. I will give his contacts for anyone who wishes to buy our youth made art products. While in Kenya call him through his cell phone +254 724 607 336.

              Lastly, I thank Pamela and Andrius for on going arrangements, I am still to know more about Pam , but as I am preparing to meet David Mutua, I will know more about her through Him. I wish all of us a wonderful 2007 and send in your answers for the Almanac 2007.
              Remember to join our new group headed by me, click here to join                           mendenyo-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Thanks all for promoting the communication between!
              Samwel

              MBITA  040305-KENYA.
              Cell: +254 725 600 439
              FOSS ADMIRER