Response to David, Shankar, Prakash, Charles, Maria/Happy 2007!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2006
      Dear David, Shankar, Prakash, Charles, Maria, and All,

      Fantastic to hear from you, and apologies ahead of time for the group mail!

      David, it's great to learn more abt the activities of CAWD in Kenya, and we who live and/or work there will be happy to link further with you (Pam and others) in 2007!

      Shankar, it's so exciting to hear from you, and abt the particular use to which you want to put street theater. It may be that there is some theater activity around treatment issues--Kenya has a particularly strong treatment-access movement, for example--but I have not heard of this myself, so will investigate. And encourage you in the meantime to develop these brilliant and important ideas!!  Plz let me/us know more abt your work, and do you do anything connected to nutrition and food (security) too, or other subjects besides HIV/AIDS?

      Prakash, I see you posting abt farmer suicides, and this is indeed a compelling and tragic issue. In the context of HIV/AIDS, esp in Africa, farmers are dying in increasing and alarming numbers too, whether from the disease itself or as a result of it, sometimes via suicide. This is straining the rural society in ways which threaten the viability of communities, and is affecting nations as a whole, as well as regions, and ultimately the world.

      There is a strong link here to the MyFoodStory project, to food security and nutrition, to agriculture, health, poverty alleviation, the care of orphans, the status and challenges of women. So thank you for bringing this up, and hope we can address it further in 2007.

      Charles, hope to include Uganda in our ICTs-related activities in 2007, and thanks so much for your good wishes to us all!

      Maria, the subject you mention--Christians and Muslims worshipping together--is such a bedrock one, and I agree that there has been seriously insensitive handling of the issue to date. I think you've hit upon a brilliant form of activism, which anyone who attends a faith-based ceremony can do:   encourage people of different faiths to worship together. Invite a friend to come with you, and tell them you'd like to go with them to wherever they worship. It doesn't even have to be a place...it could be a park or a home. The point is to bring people together, to share and learn, to build bridges of understanding, tolerance, and hope.  Thanks for alerting us to this challenge, and to its possibilities!

      With all best wishes for the new year, and peace and blessings always, Janet