birdflu/panflu preparedness in Kenya

  • Lucas Gonzalez Santa Cruz
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2006
      Hi all!

      Samwel wrote:

      >Last two days there occured birds death in Nairobi west and langata areas
      >giving threatening signs of the bird flu already here.
      >It was alarming to get 0ver 100 chicks and birds die on top of the trees
      >and authoritiesstill say it is because of the prolonged draught.

      It might be because of prolonged draught.

      Possibly, the way to find out is to contact the apropriate authorities
      so they may in turn collect samples, talk to the World Health
      Organisation and, if they see reason for concern, then send the samples
      to laboratories with resources.

      I don't know who those "apropriate authorities" are but there might be
      information here
      http://www.fluwikie.com/index.php?n=Geographic.WorldRegionalServices

      Yes, there's info about Kenya:
      http://www.fluwikie.com/index.php?n=Geographic.Kenya

      >There must be preparedness in these countries.

      I think preparedness should happen even if there's no bird flu right now:

      * The "panzootic" (=disease in birds in many countries) is growing. It
      started in Asia and now it's in Europe and Africa. Not everywhere but
      in many places. There is doubts whether it travels with trade (legal or
      illegal) and/or with migratory birds, but I guess that doesn't matter.
      So I think it does make sense to prepare for the spread of disease in birds.
      * A "pandemic" (=disease in humans with human to human transmission
      which would be difficult or, at some point, impossible to stop) might
      start but no-one knows where, when or how bad. Minimising "bird to
      human" transmission would help (we hope) prevent a pandemic. If (WHO
      says "when, not if") there's a pandemic, then things would happen pretty
      quickly: human to human transmission would mean that it would take maybe
      only a few weeks until it reaches many countries, and then several weeks
      (4-8) weeks of "parallel local epidemics": first a few humans, then
      more, then many more, then less, then even less ... then probably a
      second "wave" about 3-9 months later. This would happen all over the
      world more or less simultaneously, so the time to prepare is not "when
      it has already started", but "as soon as possible".
      * Preparedness regarding the panzootic has some points in common with
      preparedness regarding a pandemic:
      ** for a panzootic it's only "poultry workers" who must change how they
      do things, for a pandemic it's everyone.
      ** for a panzootic we want to foster cooperation about infected birds,
      in a pandemic we want cooperation regarding humans.

      So preparedness makes sense and it makes sense now or as soon as possible.

      What we need to think about is "WHAT" we should do, and then "HOW" to do it.

      >After two days the livestock department came out when the residents in
      those areas had even touched the dead chicks withy bare handsand nobody
      could not even say where the chicks came from before being damped there.
      We need some cautions preparedness if there is some threatening menance
      to our population.

      >Go on and let's have insights as you might such ideas from where you are.

      Ok. I've started working on a wiki page at
      http://www.globalvillages.info/index.php/TheEmergencyToolshed/PandemicPreparednessKenya

      The content right now is simple:
      ===
      to do:
      * Create link in
      http://www.globalvillages.info/index.php/TheEmergencyToolshed/Pandemic
      * copy the gist of our messages over to this page
      * add link to Kenyan experts (done)
      * look for WHO recomendations
      * set up a plan with questions we need to reply to
      ===

      I welcome our help and thoughts both on our lists and on that page.

      Thank you Samwel!

      Lucas