Wi-Fi in Kenya (and Africa)/Maria and Sam/COL-Protein

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2006

      Wireless resources (possible links for Sam):

      http://www.africonnect.com/technology.htm  (regional offices:  Ghana, Zambia, Tanzania)
      http://new.aitecafrica.com/?q=node/252  (seanm@...)   AITEC Broadband Forum, 11-29 to 12-1 Nairobi
      http://www.kdn.co.ke/  (Kenya Data Networks)

      Dear Sam, Jeff, Maria, Andrius, Steve, and All,

      Thanks so much for the notes to HH and to me, Sam and Maria, and to Jeff for this excellent possible roadmap for the way ahead re wifi in our Kenyan projects, and set of talking points!  And to Steve for being a true brother (will be in touch asap abt a call)!  Andrius, excellent work on so many fronts, including some "checkmates" for peace at the checkpoint.

      I have been out of the loop for awhile because of my father's health, and also because I have a project offline which is needing my time these days. I do hope to be helpful with the COL proposal, and am wondering if Sam-Jeff-Maria, possibly others on TZ and Kenya (and perhaps Cameroon, though I have encouraged Wendi and Actwid to submit a proposal we wrote for GenARDIS for the COL-Protein grant), can get together online to discuss this soon?

      Sam, at bottom line perhaps you can retool your proposal sent to myself and Jeff, and submit that?  I know Tom Ochuka in Kisumu is eager for a learning center too, so there is a linkage which can be made. I don't know if there is time to develop a proposal with more partners, but OVF-K members, KCYP, and even GRASSUP members might be interested. And then all of our friends in TZ too (speaking of which, will do some networking for everyone in this regard early in the new year).

      I have not yet be in touch with the COL contact I work with, partly because of my own situation, and partly because he has been both travelling and also sick (malaria, I think) this past month or so. I will do so this coming week, and see if he has any response, which I will pass along.

      I will be in touch again as soon as possible, and in the meantime, check out these wireless contacts in Kenya. I can put out some other feelers too, to Wainaina Mungai of OneWorld in Kenya (and the WSISyouthkenya forum) and others, as I know they'll have some feedback.  Jeff's ideas are also excellent, and it would be good to find ways to link and coordinate these various resources, suggestions, and programs/orgs if possible.

      With very best wishes and appreciation for your work, caring, and support, and blessings to all, Janet

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 12, 2006
        Dear Janet,
        Thank you so much for the information on AFRICONNECT
        which looks as it is already in Cameroon but we donot
        know where. Five countries with the connections have
        Cameroon as one and as you already know, this idea of
        getting connected as been our very old cry to the
        world.
        Janet we have tried to read all the information
        provided on the work that this internet connection is
        doing for poor African countries. We really will like
        to know the steps to follow in order to be linked to
        Afri Connect and we know that only you alone can do it
        for us.
        As we are struggling to do the COL PROTEIN project by
        retooling the other one for GENARDIS, WE WILL STILL
        PLEAD TO YOU TO KINDLY GET IN TOUCH WITH THE aFRI
        cONNECT ON OUR BEHALF SO THAT WE CAN BE CONNECTED
        HERE. tHERE ARE BIG SCHOOLS [THREE] ALL WITH OVER 6000
        STUDENTS EACH that can be linked with us to train on
        using this connection from AfriConnect here. We really
        struggle to get a connection here on the internet cost
        wise and management. That is one of the reasons why
        our report on WAD is still on print now due to the
        slow processes of internet connectivity.
        So Janet ,how is your dad now. We are praying for his
        quick recovery

        --- Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:

[...]

        Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people
        who know. Ask your question on Yahoo! Answers.