Re: [socialagriculture] Re: Advice on Wi-Fi in Kenya?

  • Jeff Buderer
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
      Samwel,

      Kafui Prebbie is heading the wireless effort in Ghana with support from the Winneba Linux User Group (WILUG) (which he co-founded in 2005) and the University of Education Winneba Ghana (UEW) which is the largest educational university in Ghana.

      One of our goals for 07 is to set up a wireless network in Kenya in late 2007 as part of our proposed integrated development program in Kibera.

      We will further develop the plans for the rollout of the Open Digitial Villages in Ghana Nigeria and Kenya and the WSFII Africa 2007 Summit (which is planned for the summer of 07 in Winneba Ghana with support from UEW) when we meet in Ghana in January of 07.

      Possible initial steps in terms of moving forward on your goal to establish a mesh network in your region:
      1. Consider the rationale for the program and how it builds on your previous and current efforts including your work on the proposal for the ICT centre. How build of a network do you want to build and how will you sustain it financially as well as organizationally?
      2. Consider potential groups that might fund your project
      3. Keep updated and get up to speed on the wireless technologies and the goings ons in our networks:
        1. The World Summits For Free Information Infrastructure coordination and discussion groups. You can find out how to subscribe to the various groups on their website.
        2. There is also a discussion group that developed from AirJaldi that you might also want to subscribe to and I would recommend that you study all the documentation at both the AirJaldi and WSFII sites so that you can develop a realistic plan for setting up a wireless mesh network in your region.
        3. Subscribe to the WiLUG Ghana discussion group to keep updated on the progress in the field in Ghana not just in relation to the wireless network but in relation to the ICT training effort there in relation to building the Open Digitial Village in Winneba.
        4. Study Wireless Roadshow wiki and review deliberations from the Post Air Jaldi Summit workshop which Joy and Kafui participated.
      4. Set some goals for what you would like to complete in 07
      5. You might consider coordinating with Kennedy (OVF Kenya Director) on this and also update the Africa Source II connections we were in communications with in early 06 about your plans and the possibility for some joint collaboration.
      Also please do explain how you see agriculture as fitting into your wireless project.

      Jeff

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 2006
        Dear Samwel, Janet, Jeff, William, Helen, Andrius,  and all,
        I 'm very happy of this great impulse to develop ICT in this collaborative way between African countries. Unfortunately I'm very busy with my ordinary work (and boring) and it's not easy to me to be  updated everydayand to understand what happens. Anyways It's great!
        Although my contribution is very small, I 'm with you  where there is a committment  in developing youth education through ICT. I don't see until now any news from the new group Uyoga in Dar es Salaam. Although William (my son)  send me sms of incouragement of what they are doing there. So, I hope they inform us soon. I appreciate a lot Samwel activity and I want to go on to support him for his Internet connection from january with 30$ per month.
        All the best! I wish you a wonderfull 2007 full of love and creativity!
        Maria Agnese

        samuel kongere <samkongere2004@...> ha scritto:

        Dear  Jeff, Janet, Andrius and All,

        Glad to see the movement. I am hoping we meet at the WSF summit in Nairobi and we can plan for needed information. We can plan with Henry and Ken Odhiambo to see how the internet connection can be coordinated within our communities in Kenya.

        I am happy with the inputs in Ghana with Kafui, this what we need in kenya. The hints brought forward by Janet are good and looking forward to meet you and plan and budget for this.

        samwel.

        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439
        FOSS ADMIRER
        Community Development

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

        http://mail.yahoo.it

      • Jeff Buderer
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2006
          Samwel,

          Please do send an email to them directly updating Kennedy and Henry on your plans and clearly outlining your plans and their/our role in the plan.

          This should include planning for activities around the WSF summit and also any collaboration with regards to the development of wireless networks.

          Also I suggest you subscribe the WILUG Ghana discussion group
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wilugghana

          Also lets please get the dates for the WSF conference clear My understanding is that the conference was to from Jan 20 to 25. We are now planning for Kennedy to participate in OVF Open Source and Linux training in Winneba Ghana during so he may not be personally available during this time to assist you in organizing the WSF presence in Kenya. We should also consider this effort in regards to your participation in the Africa Source II event in Uganda. We have not finalized the dates for Kennedy's coming to Ghana and the plans for his coming are still tenative. Henry and the rest of the OVF Kenya board and network may also be a resource for you in organizing your efforts for the WSF.

          Have you put together a document that outlines the goals of the effort and how expect to achieve those goals? I will go over previous emails and check because I know you discussed this to some extent.

          Finally could you send me directly any documents that clearly link the agricultural components of this discussion group with the plan to develop the wireless network. This is particularly important to get funding.  Janet's experience with the COL grant may if relevant to what you want to do in your region as particularly valuable as something to build on or incorporate into your existing proposal.

          Jeff