Global Grassroots Campaign: "Stop Killing Us" /DANTE: Global Young Greens

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
      Dear Franz and All,

      Hello and greatest thanks for this fascinating info!  With a launch on World AIDS Day, it did seem that the "killer" would be HIV/AIDS. But it makes so much sense that it would be environmental pollution and general despoilation of the natural world.  There is a link to HIV/AIDS in any case, re health, whether that of the planet or of the human race (as what affects one, affects the other).

      Many of us who work in the HIV/AIDS field have broadened our approach to include other subjects which must be addressed in tandem with this pandemic for there to be any hope of ameliorating if not eradicating it:  poverty, malnutrition and food insecurity, human rights, sustainable environmental practices, education, general healthcare.  This is part of what "holistic helping" (the concept, as well as the forum) is all about:  making the links between these subject areas in both perception and programs, and designing intergrated solutions across disciplines.

      Interestingly and ironically, there might be another link between HIV/AIDS and the environment:  it is believed now that this disease may have been transferred from monkeys--who have a simian version of HIV/AIDS--to humans, in part because of human encroachment into forests, and the trade in meat and other byproducts.  The preservation of the natural world, and respect for the devastating consequences if we do not--both for people and for the environment, including other species--thus need to be focused on as imperatives.

      One thing I would like to give a different take on--if I read the material correctly--and this is why I cc'd Dante, who posted abt the Global Young Greens 10-12 days ago):   I do believe that Africans can, and are already, doing a LOT to address environmental sustainability. Certainly as much as anyone can, with limited resources and lack of political/financial clout in the international sphere.  The campaign material seemed to focus more on what Africans can't do...but that is only part of the story, and not the "good news" chapter!

      In fact, I've been talking with some people and orgs about compiling an Youth Environmental Best Practices Handbook--similar to one I've partnered on in terms of youth and HIV/AIDS--and plans are now in the works for that. There will no doubt be many inspiring examples of what people ARE doing, and I've seen a number already.

      I'm hoping that the Global Young Greens will want to get involved, so I plan to contact them, with some names I have, and hopefully ones which Dante provided. Dante, would you be interested in some networking about this, or linking up with it in some way?

      I think some video work related to this will be contemplated, as I have mentioned this handbook and video possibilities to a filmmaker who Jeff introduced me to (Alison Fast), and she in turn is linked to a new sustainable-development coalition for Africa, with a focus on youth. She is currently in S. Africa making HIV/AIDS-related educational videos with and for youth, as it turns out!  There are a number of youth I know who are making videos on various subject matter, including environmental health and HIV/AIDS, so a lot of rich material and contacts to draw upon.

      With greatest thanks again for posting this, and I'll be excited for follow-up with you (Franz), Jeff/OVF (in Ghana and elsewhere), and all who are interested!  Janet

    • samuel kongere
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006

        Dear All in MS working groups,
        It is pleasure to share with you this serious note of what we intended to do in Tanzania . Our network group in Dar es salaam known in a simple term UYOGA (Mushroom) had a last meeting with me, before I left, to plan for their would be activities for five months. We are all looking forward to see Uyoga succeed in their endeavors as they need to prosper as an excellent youth group without going the short cuts which is usually our way operation.
        The steering committee in place promised me commitment and we are looking to see how cohesive they are with my support as coordinator and Maria Agnese Giraudo as collaborator. Information communication talks for isolated youths and not reached in terms of poor infrastructure. The community will make an undertaking to contribute towards the project in terms of unskilled labor and local materials. They will also be fully in charge of all future operation, sustainability and maintenance.

        We have formed a two person partnership with Maria Agnese as my partner through Holistic helping and learning from each other. I always owe my gratitude to Janet and Andrius for working with me in Miniciu Sodas Lab. As one of East African network coordinators in MS, well while in Tanzania I met our strongman Ibrahim Halkano ibrahimhalkano@...
         also from Kenya , Amon Mkonga dramontz2002@... working with chief promotions in Dar es salaam . They were willing to help Uyoga members where they can.
        Discussing with the two gave some hints which makes it difficult for youths in Tanzania to succeed, as no capacity building, lacking experience to write report, information for grant application, they work independently (no consolidated efforts) , Donor support-minimal and very variable and many more.
        We therefore need people who can point for them the right direction. I call upon our working groups and infact those working towards building Community ICTs through capacity building and training in ICT to focus on helping the Uyoga team by partnering and creating collaboration atmosphere. We at Udogo youth development group ( Kenya ) will collaborate with them on coalition building, exchange of volunteers and visiting the two communities in exchange for exposure.
        Lastly, I thank Leonard Boniface for his encouragement and connections. I am hopeful that with him on the limelight the infant group will get to crawl up. I also wish to thank entire team for being beneficial to us in East Africa; we dearly need the support of David Mutua who has joined Learning from each other as an experienced community ICT implementer in Nigeria . Hopefully OVF can go ahead to connect with us in Udogo and Uyoga.

        Happy Partnership,
        Maria & Samwel Holisting helping.

        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439
        FOSS ADMIRER
        Community Development

      • Franz Nahrada
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          Dear Janet and all,

          I would like to highlight that it is not only necessary to use the
          undoubtedly strong moral power of the campaign, but show feasible ways of
          turning the climate change threat into a positive opportunity.

          As Rick Nelson and others in other posts in Globalvillages have shown, the
          point that *really* makes a difference in all this is that the enormous
          amounts of carbon in our atmosphere ought to be regarded as potential
          wealth instead of a manifest threat. So it enables the conditions for
          unprecedented plant growth and natural "sequestration" in energy - rich
          biomass - plants of all kinds all over the planet.

          If we really want to tackle the problem we can only look at schemes that
          turn human activity into growing - and the most imminent threat is the
          water shortage that must be adressed in new and ingineous ways in Africa.

          Maybe blue-green solutions hold a part of the answer to this, but we must
          desperately ask for our morphogenetic trials NOW. Globalvillages are a
          natural way of allowing humans to combine their activities with those of
          vast and highly efficient natural systems. We need to see demonstrations
          that work in the small scale and know the conditions to transfer to large
          scale.

          And we do definitely not need this "new agricultural goldmine" to be based
          on new colonial schemes. We must act before the gold rush starts. This is
          a message to our friends in Africa, to act locally - but to think boldly
          and globally and find ways to unite on the base of this potential
          strength. Africa is the continent that is blessed with large amounts of
          POTENTIAL energy - and models are needed to turn this potentiality into
          human-friendly and locally - used reality.

          We are going to start a "Bioversity" with the help of VideoBridge - a
          collection of speaches and teachings dealing with the challenges of the
          post - petrol age and ways to use the enormous power of plants as the base
          of our life. Maybe we can find transmission points for this soon. The
          irony is, that I must have a concept video ready by the end of February
          and Skype is sometimes good enough to do successful transmissions, as you
          can see here:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GerCI_IzY88

          In this trial session - actually we want the video signal to go to a large
          screen - we had a very good conversation with our friend Allan Lundell in
          the Santa Cruz Mountains of California. In this conversation GIVE member
          Uwe Plachetka explained the findings and hypotheses that he made together
          with John Earls and other researchers about the agricultural system of the
          Inka and the foundations of their culture in large, being a complex
          sociobiological system including complex information infrastructures.

          This is really revolutionary because it puts Global Villages in the
          context of early high cultures that were destroyed by shere ignorance and
          greed for gold. ("Imagine Dschingis Kahn invading the silicon valley...and
          you have an image of the Spanish in Latin America, not even understanding
          how the wealth they saw worked",,,,,Late in the VideoBridge Allan came
          back with a scientific magazine that makes similar claims for early
          cultures in Mexiko!! And we are very suspicious that such cultures did
          exist in other poarts of the world, too.

          What we did not know at that time is that Allan would record the show and
          edit it nicely to be presented on YouTube. So here it is - the first
          draft, maybe to be revised in some particular images (wrong image to the
          right staement), but good enough to show some elements of the Videobriudge
          concept and of Uwe Plachetkas theory:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GerCI_IzY88

          enjoy!

          Franz

        • ACTWID KONGADZEM
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
            Hello Franz,
            We are happy to read yourpostings and those of Janet.
            How are you doing?We were very busy preparingfor WAD
            which past on friday. We will send you somepictures of
            our AIDS WALK and Peace Tiles that were produced.
            Immense thanks from ACTWID MEMBERS led by Wendi

            === message truncated ===

            Yahoo! Music Unlimited
            Access over 1 million songs.
            http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
          • ibrahim halkano
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
              Dear samwel,.
              I would like to introduce a two young people from Arusha,Tanzania to you
              1. Kiyavilo Msekwa kims00748@... 19yrs
              2.Aaron acekipwesafari@... 17yrs
              From the descusion we had, they had an idea that they have worked on and implemented and now on progress. Kiyavilo says, the idea came as a result of the bad habits that their peers have.He says boys of his age are all interested in sex and that is all they do and they wnated to help the society istead of wasting time doing what the rest are doing.
              Their idea is mainly to help other students learn computer especially those from poor families who did not manage to go to schools where computers are tought.
              To now they have developed an interactive website that has links to all educational materials they palce thier hand on and a chat zone where youth meet to chat and exchange thier ideas and learn together. http://hx-ng.ourprofile.net

              I have found thier ideas, appealing am sure if we can help develop it further, it could make a difference to the society.
              if you can get to know them am sure u will find their particiipation wonderful
              Goodday!

              samuel kongere <samkongere2004@...> wrote:

[...]
              We have formed a two person partnership with Maria Agnese as my partner through Holistic helping and learning from each other. I always owe my gratitude to Janet and Andrius for working with me in Miniciu Sodas Lab. As one of East African network coordinators in MS, well while in Tanzania I met our strongman Ibrahim Halkano ibrahimhalkano@ vesitec.com
               also from Kenya , Amon Mkonga dramontz2002@ yahoo.com working with chief promotions in Dar es salaam . They were willing to help Uyoga members where they can.
[...]

              Kindest Regards,

              Ibrahim Halkano A
              Oracle Functional Consultant
              Vesl Technologies Limited
              JM MALL Building, Samora Avenue
              Dar Es Salaam,Tanzania
              Tel: +255-22-2135336
              Fax:+255-22-2135428
              Cell:+255-784-493775
              Website: www.vesltech.com

            • samuel kongere
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 6, 2006
                Hello Ibrahim,

                Thanks for the links i am sending the links to Hellen the Uyoga leader for connections. she will be in Moshi over December for fact finding and I hope she meet the duo over there. How is everything? When you are home over Dec you inform me. Thanks.
                Samwel.

                ibrahim halkano <ihalkano@...> wrote:
                Dear samwel,.
                I would like to introduce a two young people from Arusha,Tanzania to you
                1. Kiyavilo Msekwa kims00748@yahoo. com 19yrs
                From the descusion we had, they had an idea that they have worked on and implemented and now on progress. Kiyavilo says, the idea came as a result of the bad habits that their peers have.He says boys of his age are all interested in sex and that is all they do and they wnated to help the society istead of wasting time doing what the rest are doing.