Dennis Kimambo Has Passed Away/RIP Beloved Friend!

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2013
      Dearest Friends,

      It has been some time since I have truly been "acting alive" here, and I have been meaning to post an explanation. I have been thinking about the way forward, at a time for me when my own life has fallen apart and I have been trying to rebuild it. I will follow up on that at another time, but for now wanted to share some terribly devastating news I have just received today.

      Our cherished friend of the arts and of peace in Kenya, Dennis Kimambo, has passed away. He has been missing for some days, and it has just been confirmed that he is dead. In fact, there was a crime scene, so there has been some heinous act committed by someone else, though the motive remains unclear at this point, at least to me. Dennis survived the upheavals and almost civil-warlike conditions of the Kenyan elections of 2007-2008....it would be such an unthinkable blow to know he did not survive the generally peaceful elections of 2013, due to his work for peace.

      I meant Dennis only once, when he came to visit the USA, but we kept in regular touch via email and phone, and I consider him one of my closest friends. His work in the arts related to health and development, on youth issues, and on peace in Kenya and the world touched so many people, and made the planet a much better and more hopeful place to live.

      He will continue to be loved and cherished always, and his legacy will be alive and well through eternity. He inspired all of us and left a lasting mark that nothing can change or erase.

      This is what I just posted to Facebook:

      "I am beyond devastated...this is one of the saddest days of my life, and my world will never be the same. Rest in peace, dear friend Dennis, and know that you will be loved and cherished for all eternity. I have talked today to the museum where my Haitian art collection is now based and they are doing an exhibit on Kenya...we spoke before hearing this news, but they had already agreed to do a tribute to Dennis and his work on the arts. So that is some uplifting news, though I would rather have the beautiful soul himself here with us for many years to come. He did make an enduring and lasting impact that will always be alive and well, and that is a wonderful legacy to leave for all those who grieve, and for a world that badly needed his love and care."

      I hope we will all share our thoughts and feelings about Dennis here, and that his family will be in our prayers. Any actions we can take to pay tribute to him would be most welcome, including helping the family he leaves behind.

      With love and greatest sorrow, Janet
    • charleskilel@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2013
        Janet,
        I am shocked n devastated n am lost 4 words! Dennis is dead? God rest his soul in peace! I mayb able 2 write smthing tomorrow.
        Sent from my BlackBerry®
      • ACTWID KONGADZEM
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2013
          Dearest friend Janet,
          How are you doing? We have not heard from you for a long time.Hope you are well and that your dad's health also improved too.
          We all in ACTWID Cameroon join you to mourn for Dennis from Kenya.May his soul rest in perfect peace.
          Sincerely ACTWID members led by Wendi Losha,the National President/Coordinator

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2013
            Janet,

            I look forward to a tribute of Dennis's artistic activities. I don't
            know much about that, but he and his friends at REPACTED community
            theatre inspired me. I've been taking lessons in improvisational acting
            at Chicago's Annoyance Theatre, and I'm hoping to develop "community
            theatre" here in the Black-American Englewood neighborhood of Chicago,
            where I'm spending summers, and in the village of Eiciunai in Lithuania,
            where I'll be in the winters.

            I'm wondering what we could do in the long run to care for his children,
            one young daughter and one child yet unborn. I hope to stay in touch
            with his family and friends.

            http://www.selflearners.net