Re: [nafsiafrikasaana] Re: Another Pyramid of Peace

  • Pamela McLean
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22 7:14 AM
      Andrius, Filip and everyone.

      @ Andrius - I appreciate your email, but I do not see myself in a leadership role. I have simply raised the question of if we should be looking ahead - and it seems that it would be a good idea.

      @ Filip - thank you for you facebook idea

      @ everyone - I am a learner and also a teacher - and one of the things I am learning about how is the Internet can help us to learn, and how it affects the roles of teachers and learners. (In my own DIY e-learning I find that I learn best in collaboration with others - and that we often learn from each other - all of us acting partly as teachers and partly as learners as we share our different perspectives).

      Learning from last time

      In the case of the upcoming elections I am wondering what we can learn from last time. We have enormous shared experience of the post election turmoil - from many different perspectives. We have an amazing rich archive of what happened. We can use that archive to remind ourselves. Newcomers can also dip into it in as much or as little depth as they choose to find out what happened.

      We need to build our community, and we need to find the best ways to share information.

      The chat room was enormously useful last time, and the various relevant yahoo groups of Minciu Sodas. People were using computers from home and also at cyber cafes. Phones of course were key to the success of Pyramid of Peace. MamaMikes and paypal were important for sending money.  Some things have changed since 2007/8. We need to find out what is most effective for people and where we will want to be "meeting"

      It will also be helpful if we can develop ways of working together that are based on shared expectations and understanding. However we are working at a distance and people come with differing expectations and from different cultural backgrounds. We should not be surprised if different people see things in different ways. We have to build trust and be ready to accept that at times there will be mismatched assumptions and there will be some confusion because of different assumptions. The important thing is to take such happenings as learning experiences, and to build on our alignment and shared aims rather than dwell on our differences.

      "Initiatives" space at Dadamac.net

      I have made the space at dadamac for Another Pyramid of Peace  so that we have a starting place for what we are doing and learning from last time.  Let us all rub minds and see what lessons we can learn and what those lessons will enable us to do in terms of preparations for peacekeeping and  conflict  resolution should it become necessary.

      Chatroom

      @Andrius, you have said the chatroom could be set up again. I understood that it was closed because it was too costly. Please clarify what resources will be needed to open it again.

      Wiki

      Thank you also Andrius for setting up a wiki. Perhaps we should find out who is happy to use a wiki, and who would like to learn, and who is happy to teach others. I think wikis can be a great place to park information, and certainly the previous one proved very useful - but I confess there are also some aspects of of wikis that I don't like (including the amount of work they take).  However that is a discussion for another time.

      Facebook

      @Filip are you active on Facebook? I think it is a good idea, but, personally I do not want to be responsible for setting it up and feeding it with information. Who is active on FaceBook? How shall we go forward with this?

      Yahoo groups

      At present we are doing a lot of cross posting. I wonder if it might be a good idea to set up a yahoo group which is dedicated to PyramidOfPeace - and gradually we could move all of the discussion over there. What do people think of that idea?

      Pamela

      On 22 July 2012 12:21, Ph Ph <phenx-@...> wrote:

      Perharps it's not very interesting but why not to get a facebook page/profil for this pyramid http://www.pyramidofpeace.net  ?
      We could tell "I like" and ask a friend/link to get more contacts... ;-)
      Filip.

      To: holistichelping@yahoogroups.com; learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com; minciu_sodas_en@yahoogroups.com; fightingpeacefully@yahoogroups.com; nafsiafrikasaana@yahoogroups.com; livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com; post@...
      From: ms@...
      Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 14:36:52 -0400
      Subject: [nafsiafrikasaana] Re: Another Pyramid of Peace

      Pamela McLean,

      Thank you for your intiative
      http://www.dadamac.net/initiative/another-pyramid-peace
      that we prepare and make sure that the March 2013 presidential elections
      in Kenya are peaceful, without the violence that shocked us in 2008.

      I expect that 2013 will be peaceful. Many Kenyans care about peace and
      many have experience in peaceful intervention from 2008.

      Pamela, I appreciate all the more your concern that we prepare now for
      peace. We should not be complacent. I imagine others are preparing for
      violence.

      Pamela, I appreciate your leadership and I wish to encourage you. In
      2008, I showed all the leadership I was able. I took and gave all the
      authority I could.

      Pamela, you value what we achieved together with the Pyramid of Peace.
      I'm glad that you're considering what we might take from that.

      of the Pyramid of Peace, as follows:
      * Upon your consideration and acceptance, I appoint you
      Commander-of-Operations through July, August, September 2012, or as I
      decree otherwise, that you might boldly lead all who wish for a Pyramid of
      Peace, as we had in 2008.
      * Please choose a title (such as Convener, etc.) as you like best.
      * I look to you to engage Kenyans and all who care, what may we do for
      peace in Kenya in 2013? to reach out and include peacemakers of all
      tribes, to analyze the potential for violence, to consider promising
      solutions, to discuss what structures for coordination are most relevant
      for 2013, to appreciate which individuals and what organizations we can
      turn to for leadership.
      * Please keep us informed if you see any need, any role in 2013 for a
      command structure to support independent peacemakers, as I led in 2008.
      * In general, do we need new groups, organizations or institutions? and
      should they be related in any way to the Pyramid of Peace of 2008?
      * Please consult especially with Janet Feldman as to how we can help
      Kenyans, especially in reaching out across divisions.
      * Please consult with Denis Kimambo, Kennedy Owino, Rachel Wambui Kungu
      and Lawrence Achami, our Commanders, as to what Pyramid of Peace and other
      groups might achieve for peace in Kenya in 2013. I will consult with them
      likewise.
      * Please work publicly, as you do.
      * I have redone our website http://www.pyramidofpeace.net to point to a
      wiki http://www.pyramidofpeace.net/wiki/ for linking to relevant pages,
      which may be at your website http://www.dadamac.net or as you think best.
      Please know we can develop the website http://www.pyramidofpeace.net to
      include a chat room and other functionality you think we'll need.

      In this way, I offer you my authority that you might draw on it as much as
      you like, if at all. In that you do, please know that I judge you
      competent, and I expect that you absorb and project that, as you serve, so
      that others might likewise. Embolden us!

      I am very busy this July, August and September, and so I personally
      appreciate your initiative. I will have some free time in October,
      November and December. I may be completely free in the first half of 2013.
      Thank you for valuing my participation!

      Pamela, I think it's especially valuable at this time that you are based
      in the UK, outside of Kenya. We're showing that ethnic violence is not a
      local concern, but a global concern. You know and love people of many
      tribes throughout Africa, and are not partial. That's a great help!

      Pamela, thank you!

      Commander-in-Chief
      Pyramid of Peace

    • ms@ms.lt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22 1:24 PM
        Pamela McLean,

        Thank you for your reply. You don't see yourself in a leadership role.
        Nevertheless, I do value your concern and strategic thinking.

        Yes, at http://www.pyramidofpeace.net we do have an archive of our amazing
        work together for peace in Kenya, which was public. Some of the links
        aren't working, though. In December I expect to return to Lithuania and I
        could fix things up and also collect my own reflections from then and
        afterwards. Perhaps we could publish an e-book to tell our stories and
        share our lessons.

        Pamela, I could set up a chat room at some point. Best for me would be to
        wait until December when I am back in Lithuania. I'm currently working
        intensely on my art work "God's Face and God's Mind" which will hang in
        the historic Pullman factory. I've also been hired as a consultant to
        help write research papers in tobacco control. I have to finish the
        latter work before I return to Lithuania. Pamela, for Dadamac I could
        work for $10 per hour and set up a chat room for you. It may take up to
        10 hours to set up and customize, but possibly 5 or so. Alternatively, at
        some point I might do it for free at pyramidofpeace.net if there is a
        clear need.

        I share my correspondence (through Facebook) with Kennedy Owino. He's a
        member of Nafsi Africa Acrobats and currently lives in Denmark.

        Andrius

        Andrius Kulikauskas, ms@..., (773) 306-3807, http://www.selflearners.net

        ----------------------

        Andrius Kulikauskas:

        Hi Kennedy, how can I call you by phone or Skype? what is your number?
        Pamela McLean wants to start "Another Pyramid of Peace" and I'd like to
        encourage her leadership so I wanted to check with you and Dennis Kimambo
        and Lawrence Achami regarding that. My thought is to keep Pyramid of Peace
        as a command structure, continue as Commander-in-Chief and appoint her as
        Commander-of-Operations for the next few months. She would start
        preparations and explore what's most relevant for 2013, which might be
        developing entirely new groups, structures, as she and others prefer, but
        I would keep Pyramid of Peace ready to act as in 2008. What do you think?

        -----------------------
        Kennedy Nielsen Owino:

        Dear Andrius,

        I hope you are doing good
        It would be great if we can catch up and talk over the phone, but Skype
        would be o.k and cheaper.
        Anyway, my phone number is +4553140074 and skype address is
        nafsiafrikaacrobats.
        I am busy these days with work but you can catch me any time after 5 pm
        Danish time.
        When and what time do you prefer?

        It is an impressive idea to organise ourselves in preparation of
        combating any violent eventuality that could follow the upcoming Kenya
        General elections.
        I support your idea of approaching this through the Pyramid of Peace
        initiative.
        However, i am not aware if the structure we used in 2008 would be
        reliable or appropriate this time.
        I am saying this because it is long since i was back in Kenya.
        I do not have first hand comprehension of the realities at the grassroots.
        Have there been a shift in cultures and ways of thinking? Is there
        hostility breeding underneath waiting to explode? Are certain tribes/
        ethnic groups, proscribed and militia groups regrouping and preparing for
        revenge and/ or another wave of attacks?
        Is there harmony amongst neighbouring tribes which would be seen even
        after the elections? What are the contesting politicians messages to
        their tribes?
        These are questions i may need to ask myself, or explore the answers
        before giving you my views.
        It would be great to contact the likes of Denis Kimambo, Rachel Wangui,
        Achami etc to get their opinions.
        I believe they have an upper hand in knowing exactly how the situation
        stands at the ground.

        There are many initiatives already in force crusading and advocating for
        Peace and sensitizing Kenyans on Peaceful attitudes during the elections
        period.
        We just have to be sensitive on our approaches through the Pyramid of Peace.
        Since people are still in the healing process, some are still hurting, we
        still have the internally displaced people in the camps and this period
        reminds many of the bloodshed, toture, pain and humiliation they
        underwent.
        One wrong wording or action that is not sensitive to the needs and
        emotions of the people may diffuse or be mis- interpreted as hate speech,
        insightment or a provocation to Violence.

        Peace,

        Ken Owino
        Nafsi Africa Acrobats
        www.nafsiafrica.webs.com

        P.S: You are welcome to share my ideas on MSLab.

        ----------------------------

      • Mark Roest
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22 3:52 PM
          Dear Pamela,

          The way you have responded, first to the need, and then to the resources offered, exemplifies a very valuable form of leadership -- we-focused, peer-oriented, stepping up to offer what you know and looking at the whole picture, from the points of view of those affected, and actively asking people to contribute what they know and sense. As we all know, that kind of leadership is all too rare.

          Someone might have once told you angrily, "what makes you think you're so smart?", and the sting of that might have caused you to build very slowly and methodically -- but you have learned well, and you do have the knack!

          You might consider a motto I used to keep going through non-acceptance: Trust yourself!

          Regards and blessings,

          Mark Roest

          To: holistichelping@yahoogroups.com; learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com; minciu_sodas_en@yahoogroups.com; fightingpeacefully@yahoogroups.com; nafsiafrikasaana@yahoogroups.com; livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com; post@...
          From: ms@...
          Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 14:36:52 -0400

> [...]

          > just providing a focal point where people might come together, in
          > preparation.
          >
          > @Andrius - I'm aware I have not included a reference to the Pyramid of
          > Peace Archive. Please would you send me the link.
          >
          > Pameal
          >

          > On 26 June 2012 08:01, Kenneth Chelimo <kennethchelimo@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Ken Owino,
          >>
          >> I appreciate your efforts in peace building among the youth in slum
          >> areas. The documentary you have attached is indeed a good example of
          >> how
          >> Kenyans from different communities should co-exist and live together in
          >> harmony. More of these activities by the acrobats should go to rural
          >> areas
          >> where we witnessed tribal tension during the 2007/2008 post-election
          >> violence. Cheers Ken for your great work.

        • Benoit Couture
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 23 7:44 AM
            Salut Pamela,

            i completely agree with Mark...