OneWorld "Perspectives": Farm To Table (good reference for MyFoodStory)

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006

      Dear Perspectives reader:

      As so many of us sit down to holiday feasts over the coming month,
      why do close to 1 billion people still go hungry? This issue of
      Perspectives
      takes a closer look at the links between agriculture
      and poverty and assesses the impacts of growing trends to buy
      organic, local, and fairly traded products.

      Th
      e entire edition of Perspectives is available below and can be found on the Web at:
      http://us.oneworld.net/section/us/perspectives/11/food.

      Don't forget to add your thoughts to the "Community Space" section, and don't miss
      our live chat with Worldwatch's Brian Halweil. He'll join us next Tuesday from 2-3 pm
      (EST) to help connect the dots between what we eat and how it helps or harms our
      communities and the environment. Ask Brian your question today.

      Issue 11, December 2006
      Farm to Table
      Prague�s holiday feasts will include carp and potato salad, while the Malagasy enjoy rice and zebu this month. In the United States it�s turkey and stuffing. But in a world that produces enough to feed a growing population, why do nearly 1 billion people still go hungry?

      This issue of Perspectives takes a closer look at the links between agriculture and poverty and assesses the impacts of growing trends to buy organic, local, and fairly traded products.
      Image � Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
      FROM THE FRONTLINES

      AAI team members with graduating 6th grade students at an elementary school in Sulu.Farmers helping their brothers, so that they can help themselves to find solutions and not be dependent on the technician or on the bank. That is Campesino a Campesino.

      Ariela Bl�tterThe simple choice to eat locally produced food can have important consequences for the environment, our health, and economies worldwide.

      Food should give life, cleanse the body, and uplift the spirit. What you put on your table is both a political statement and a mirror of who you really are.

      Successful development projects flow from an understanding of shared community values. Heifer's �Passing the Gift� is a case in point.

      Discover U.S.-based NGOs involved in food and agriculture efforts around the world.

      Editor�s Letter
      About Perspectives
      Download/Print

        [.pdf; 1.2 MB]
      RSS Food & Ag. Coverage
      IN-DEPTH

      In a world where there is enough food for everyone, why is hunger still so pervasive and how can agricultural policies make a difference?

      -Rural poverty, urban migration, biotech's promise, the supermarket boom, and more.

      -Changing lives depends most on listening to people and understanding what motivates them.

      -A growing number are choosing more organic and locally produced products, eschewing the hidden costs in the conventional food system.

      GET INVOLVED!
      Make responsible food choices, support family farmers around the world, volunteer, host a film screening, and more!
       Take action today!

      OneWorlders weigh in from Kenya, Chile, India, North Carolina, Nigeria, and beyond. Add your thoughts!
      Community Space
      LIVE CHAT

      Brian Halweil will help us connect the dots between what we eat and how it helps or harms our communities and the environment. Ask Brian a question today or join us live Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2-3 pm (EST).
      ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
       More Helpful Links and Articles
       Blogoscan
       Daily Coverage on Food & Agriculture

      If you enjoy Perspectives, share it with friends and colleagues
      and help us spread the word by posting it to the blogs and email
      lists you read. Here is a short blurb you can copy and paste:

      Farm to Table
      http://us.oneworld.net/section/us/perspectives/11/food
      In a world of plenty, why do nearly 1 billion people still go hungry? How do
      our choices of what to eat affect our communities, the environment, and
      workers halfway around the world? As so many of us sit down to holiday
      feasts this month,
      OneWorld's Perspectives magazine takes a closer look