Please help Andrius think of rewards for crowdfunders!

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2011
      I'm getting ready to seek sponsors (you!) to pool together funds (large
      and small) so that I could work for half a year on my directory of "ways
      of figuring things out".

      I ask for your help. What would be meaningful rewards for sponsors?

      Even small donations will make a big help because many small donations
      will attract larger donors and certainly lift my spirits. So whether
      you'll be able to donate $1, $10 or $100, it will be a great help. Here
      are some rewards I'm thinking of:

      * Design an investigatory game with original artwork and coaching by Skype
      to help you learn what you want to learn! (8 hours) ($200)
      * Coach you to use the "house of knowledge" for your investigations, both
      personally and in a group through Skype conference calls. (4 hours) ($100)
      * Official Self Learner at selflearners.net, I help you set up your
      profile (including your deepest value in life, your investigatory
      question, your dream-in-life), sign you up for our email group, link up
      through Twitter and chats. ($30)
      * Include your anecdote or story, how you came to understand something.
      (1/2 hour). $10
      * Vote on a domain for me to analyze. ($1 per vote, up to 10 votes)

      What kind of reward would be most attractive to you or others you know?

      I'll be asking our help to publicize my effort. If I can get funding for
      6 months, then I think I have a good chance to develop my directory into a
      business.

      Thank you for helping me! How could this help you, too? I share a letter
      with more news about what I'm up to.

      http://www.selflearners.net
      ms@...
      (773) 306-3807 Chicago
      Twitter: @selflearners

      ----------------------
      Dave,

      I appreciate your ideas. Thank you!

      I have two months before I need to commit myself to going bankrupt.
      Whether or not I do go bankrupt, I think that documenting and sharing
      "ways of figuring things out" is what I should be doing now. It will be
      relevant for me for at least a few years. And it's plausible that I can
      make a living from it, as much as anything else that I can do in the next
      two months.

      So for the next two months I'm exploring how to make that work as a
      business. If I decide to go bankrupt, then my needs become simpler, and I
      will have more options and more time. Currently, I need less than $1,000
      per month for myself and then another $1,500 for my loan payments.

      I'm glad that you find the directory readable enough. My plan is to seek
      crowdfunding for that, preferably at http://www.kickstarter.com They want
      creative projects that we are passionate about. I can be quite passionate
      about the directory. I can focus on writing up my own "ways of figuring
      things out" from my philosophy and my life. I can also offer prizes that
      encourage sponsors to have me share and document ways from other domains
      as well, such as math, business, law, medicine, arts, etc. as well as from
      individuals.

      I plan to seek $15,000 which will keep me afloat for six months, enough
      time for me to improve the directory and look for other related clients,
      sponsors, projects, income.

      Kickstarter gave some helpful statistics
      http://blog.kickstarter.com/post/5014573685/happy-birthday-kickstarter
      They've distributed about 40 million dollars to 8,000 projects, an average
      of 5,000 dollars each. About 10,000 projects were unsuccessful. So the
      success rate is about 43%. But the success rate is much higher for
      projects that get at least one pledge (52%), at least 30% of their goal
      (90%), or at least 90% of their goal (99.99%).

      I think I should try. But I want to be sure to formulate my project and
      my prizes so they are attractive. I need to study successful projects.
      Here's a sample list of what I could do:

      * Document an entire discipline, along with an executive summary, diagram
      "cheat sheet". (1 month) ($3,000)
      * For you or any person, dead or alive, analyze their ways of figuring
      things out through their anecdotes, writings and video Skype interviews.
      (2 weeks) ($1,500)
      * Train you or another person to document a domain. (1 week) ($800)
      * Workshop or talk (3 days plus travel, accommodations) ($400)
      * Design an investigatory game with original artwork and coaching by Skype
      to help you learn what you want to learn! (8 hours) ($200)
      * Coach you to use the "house of knowledge" for your investigations, both
      personally and in a group through Skype conference calls. (4 hours) ($100)
      * Official Self Learner at selflearners.net, I help you set up your
      profile (including your deepest value in life, your investigatory
      question, your dream-in-life), sign you up for our email group, link up
      through Twitter and chats. ($30)
      * Include your anecdote or story, how you came to understand something.
      (1/2 hour). $10
      * Vote on a domain for me to analyze. ($1 per vote, up to 10 votes)

      I appreciate help, what kinds of rewards are most relevant, realistic,
      meaningful, desirable? Would a book (or e-book) be desirable? Or not?

      Generally, I can work at about $20 per hour on work that builds up the
      directory or serves the community. $2,500 per month for 30 hours per week
      is 120 hours per month is $20 per hour.

      Many of the groups of people that I'm involved with are rather poor. But
      they might donate small amounts, which is very significant in attracting
      larger donors. They might help get the word out. They might sign a
      petition and leave comments, encouragements, suggestions, and "votes" on
      what new domains I should document for ways of figuring things out.

      My work on the "ways of figuring things out" hasn't caught on with anybody
      yet. But the directory has made it more concrete, including my work in
      specific domains such as math or money. I'm glad you found it readable
      and my mother did, too. I need feedback how to help people see and say
      that it is something that we need.

      I'm thinking of adding a navigation in terms of investigatory questions
      (like Why does God allow evil? or How to make a living?). I've pursued
      hundreds and can show the ways that I've answered them, which is the point
      of the directory. I also have a list of 200+ questions that people gave
      me, question they wish to answer but haven't answered yet. And I could
      sketch out how I would pursue such investigations. Related to such a
      navigation, there could also be the people's deepest values, because I've
      collected that from the same people, in fact from some 500+ people. So
      that would be an interesting way to navigate the directory and perhaps
      encourage a community to form around the directory and my research.

      Some communities that I am engaging or will engage include:
      * Math education.
      * Catholic church.
      * Lithuanian community.
      * People from my lab, Minciu Sodas.
      Jerry's group is my best link to entrepreneurs. I have a list of prospects:
      http://www.selflearners.net/Business/Prospects
      There's hurdles to getting the support of any group.

      I've been at this for about 3 months, but I'm not too discouraged, partly
      because of your kind attention, and partly because I know my work in Math
      was very very good, I'm slowly getting supportive feedback and I'm on the
      right track. For example, thanks to Ken Tyler, I learned about the
      philosopher Badiou, which got me reviewing the axioms of Zermelo-Fraenkel
      set theory, which I see now match up the "visualization structures" given
      by 6 of the rooms, as well as 4 other rooms. Which is to say, I have a
      tool for very quickly sorting out domains in a very deep way, and also,
      relating disparate domains.

      I'll write out how this methodology helps (me) think about Gamestorming
      and Connected Company.

      I'll end with my big picture of my life. In 2009, I finished my quest to
      "know everything", as given by my 10 minute video summary:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArN-YbPlf8M The upshot was:
      * I assumed as little as possible about God. But God's point of view was
      key in putting it all together. So I don't have to be cold to God
      anymore.
      * How can I apply the knowledge usefully? By organizing a culture of
      self-learners, of the skeptical, the "poor-in-spirit", who wish to take
      many small but sensible leaps of faith, rather than one big one. A culture
      of truth that makes all knowledge tangible. Jesus's vision of the kingdom
      of heaven.
      * Nobody cares about the questions I asked and the answers I found. But
      they might care about the ways I and others figured things out. Such ways
      define the culture. And if we can transform them into games, then such a
      culture can be taken up widely.

      Key to a culture is to find a way of sharing, of living as family, of
      making a living, and so whether or not I go bankrupt, that will always be
      relevant.

      Dave, thank you for thinking with me! and for making such a culture real.
      I very much do need thoughts as to what people want. I don't know what
      people want.

      http://www.selflearners.net
      ms@...
      (773) 306-3807 Chicago