Re: [holistichelping] Invitation to First Thursday, May 5th

  • Mark Roest
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2011
      Hello Pamela and all,

      EtherPad is even more powerful than that; I figure you should have the benefit of knowing its real secret during the first meeting. I probably cannot attend, so contributing now.

      EtherPad's secret power is that it supports true collaborative writing in the big space!
      The right-hand space is like a chat track. Here is an example of what you can do in the big left space:
      So yes, put your agenda of topics into it, with some of what we used to call carriage returns when we actually used typewriters with 'carriages' to carry all the keys that printed the letters on the page!  :-) between topics.'
      So, you start talking about the first topic, and you get an idea! So someone writes it down under its topic on the left big space. And I, an editor, see a typo, and I go in and correct it! And someone else writes down an idea, and another person realizes there is even more to the idea, and they fit what they are thinking about into just the right place for it, within the original idea.

      So let's say that on the second topic, the group chooses a course of action that they want to communicate. So they write down the course of action, and a couple of people make small changes to it, and then everyone agrees that that is a good statement of what they want to do. But that just holds the thought in existence! Now it's time to write the publicity! So someone makes a copy of the statement and pastes it in below the original. Next, people start (simultaneously, mind you!) typing in a salutation, an introduction, a summary, and a call to action. In five minutes it's done! A couple of improvements have been made, but mostly, the people with the inspiration for a piece of the whole had a clear sense of how to say it. (Now that's fractal with how we need to run society!) Or as the mystics say, as above, so below.

      So that's the idea. You can do any kind of collaborative writing with it! Have fun and make a difference for life on earth!

      Regards,

      Mark

      On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Pamela McLean <pam54321@...> wrote:

      You are invited to join me for a "First Thursday" open meeting on May 5th at http://etherpad.openstewardship.net/0w8jG05iwR

      Time to be agreed - probably 13.00 GMT 14.00 Nigerian and London time, 16.00 E African time, Let me know if that is too late for you. I want to make it that late so that people in America have a better chance to join us. But if it is difficult for some other people we can think again.

      Some of you will remember the old "First Thursday" meetings that we used to hold in the worknets chatroom. Now I have discovered etherpads and I think they could provide ideal places for us to meet. You can access an etherpad fom a cybercafe - all you need is the url  -
      http://etherpad.openstewardship.net/0w8jG05iwR - for this month. Ther si no need to download any additional software.

      There are two spaces on an etherpad:

      Chat -
      There is a chat box on the right hand side, with different colours for different people. (I don't know how many different colours there are - we will find out)

      Main panel for agenda - There is also a main panel, where we can put a list of things that people want to discuss. Perhaps this time we will need to spend a bit of time simply getting used to using the etherpad - but soon I hope we will be using it according to an agenda so we can have productive and focussed discussions (we will put time aside before and after the main meeting  so people can have a chance to chat informally together.)

      Even if you can't come to the actual meeting you can click on the link and have a look at the Etherpad. If you do call in , please leave a greeting in the chat box ready for the next person who arrives.

      I hope to see you there.

      Pamela

    • Kennedy Owino
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2011
        Dear Pam,

        It was great to meet and chat at etherpad yesterday.

        I learned some basic steps into using it even though i could not keep myself steady through the chat.
        My phone batteries finally died on me and i was cut from the chat.
        It is a great online space i must agree.
        It is so simple to use and have good tools to make a more organised and productive online meeting.
        I need to learn more of etherpad and how more it is useful.
        I hope to join in the chat tommorow at the scheduled time if i get access to internet that is.
        Have you by any chance confirmed the time?
        What time zone does Holland fall in?

        Otherwise we could chat more on Tuesday next week.
        I am thinking if etherpad would be the best space for the Kenya/Denmark teachers meeting that my group Nafsi Acrobats are organising on 13th May.
        Well, i guess it would, then we would have a space for more "grashoppers with tuned antennas" perched on our meeting wall.
        Pam, you and Dan offered to be "grasshoppers" but well there will be enough seats and space for you to participate.

        I am inviting you to our test run on 10th May, i will confirm to you the time later.
        I have already created a public pad for the meeting and named it Teachers Talking Meeting (Denmark/ Kenya)
        You can go in http:// etherpad.com/sjEqdCNx14  if you please.
        You are welcome to help us organise the pad.

        I hope to see you around tomorrow or Tuesday next week.

        Peace,

        Ken Owino
        Nafsi Africa Acrobats
        www.nafsiafrica.org