Greg and All: Great "Kick Start To Action"!/some links with ApproTEC

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2006

      Dear Greg and All,

      Hello and thanks so much for the heads-up abt Martin Fisher, whose pump I saw a year ago on a PBS program abt food/agriculture/health in Kenya (Jeff Sachs' Sauri Village was also featured, which uses an integrative approach to poverty-reduction-health-nutrition-education issues). At that time, myself (linked to KAIPPG) and other parties were in the organizing stages of an HIV/AIDS and agriculture/nutrition/food security conference which we hoped to organize in Nairobi for October 2006, and we planned to contact Martin and Nick Moon abt doing a demo for us (in the small-world category!).

      As it turned out, we discovered a similar event was further along in planning--this for Zambia in May 2006--so we decided to merge with that endeavor, which turned into a very successful conference where nonprofit "best practices" and stories were highlighted, exchanged, and discussed.

      I'd love to have some contact now with Fisher and Moon in any case, and the MyFoodStory project and some of our other endeavors here would be a great reason to do so.

      For more on the Zambia conference, plz check out http://www.projectconcern.org/zambiaforum2006 . I've been thinking of approaching Project Concern International, a partner and the lead organizer of the Zambia conference, abt the MyFoodStory Project, to check on their interest in possibility of gathering stories from conference participants. There is a forum where this could be easily done. Would that be of value?

      I would myself like to gather stories from KAIPPG members/clients and related orgs and communities. In terms of women and youth specifically, and related to arts and ICTs, the latter focusing on radio perhaps. This I will be happy to do regardless of whether I'm on a team, or lead one (I gather we now have 6 in any case). There will be an overlap with PCI and the Zambia conference in this regard, as these subject areas and populations were prominent topics. I can also try to enlist other orgs like IFPRI, CTA, CGIAR and the like. And I have contacts in India and further afield than Africa, which I would be glad to tap.

      Finally, on a similar theme to "Kick Start", there is a great org called "Practical Action", formerly "Intermediate Technology Development Group" (http://www.itdg.org), with wonderful stories at their site too.

      Thanks much and I share your excitement for the rich storytelling opportunities ahead! All best wishes, Janet

      A Moneymaking Water Pump

      TOOLS FOR POOR FARMERS
      By ROSS PERLIN

      Posted Sunday, May 21, 2006
      To Martin Fisher, 48, and Nick Moon, 51, a simple pump could be the solution to poverty for millions of Africans. They're the co-founders of KickStart, a San Francisco--based nonprofit that encourages rural entrepreneurship by providing tools that Africa's poor can afford. Since the group was founded in Nairobi in 1991 under the name ApproTEC, it has developed a machine to make building blocks, a press that extracts cooking oil from seeds, a hay baler and a series of hand-operated micro-irrigation pumps. Their latest, the MoneyMaker Hip Pump, retails in Africa for $34.

      For someone like Felix Mururi, a Kenyan in his early 30s, the hip pump made small-scale farming more profitable than working in a city. Recovering his investment within three months (the goal for every KickStart product), he felt confident enough to rent more land. But Fisher and Moon are doing more than selling a pump. They're trying to market a new model of development. Their aim, says Fisher, is "to create dignity rather than dependency and to leave in place a sustainable and dynamic private sector."

      Moon says KickStart operates on a simple maxim: "The greatest good to the largest number in the shortest time at the least cost." It seems to be working. The company has sold 63,000 pumps in Kenya, Tanzania and Mali and estimates that $45 million in profits and wages has been generated by new, "kick-started" businesses.

      Over the next three years, KickStart plans to expand into three more countries, sell 125,000 more pumps, roll out a "deep-lift irrigation pump" that can pull water from 60 ft. underground and bring 400,000 more people out of poverty.

    • samuel kongere
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
        Dear Hellen, Josephat, Willy and all
        Thanks to MS and Maria Agnese Giraudo through our holistic helping working group to organize a meaningful visit to Tanzania- Dar es salaam. This was a fact-finding mission to find and work with the youths in Dar es salaam . We were of the opinion, to expand our network in the MS and create a community based organization approach to the youths there in Dar es salaam .
        The ringing message in this world of science and technology are; we must change, we must sacrifice, we just cannot continue as a routine …..…but we can change through network, through reaching the under reached and must change through technology network. Other people are changing over the world because of the technology awareness.
          The approach therefore was to see and understand some aspects for bringing Dar youths as a working board over there for our expanded network. In life there is no short cuts; and if there is some, then know that they are expensive at times, dangerous or tricky. Therefore, we have to be on the alert as you can take any shortcuts in life or else you may end up creating more problems than you were planning to achieve. Yes, Maria Agnese had known youths in Dar but working with them had to take a different mode, which applied understanding, where MS comes, we are one in the network and a team. We are working with Maria as my partner, in the Dar situation; I play the coordinator while Maria is a collaborator.
        Our focus was to have an entry point for them, which was through known members of our network as Hellen Mahoo, William Wambura and others. Our meeting with Hellen Mahoo as the incumbent leader of the group was to lay down the schedule and arrange the focus and means of reaching the other would be members. I had a good reception even though after meeting William, who was very ready to care of my stay, had an attack from thugs on his way home the first night of my arrival. Although it was a bad seen, I thank God for his recovery and we were able to finish the last two days introducing him to the other forum members in Dar. I hope he recover well to do the Exams and prepare the task of coordinating the activities of the youth group in place.
          When we met with Hellen Mahoo on 22 November 2006 , we laid down the Aims, Focus, strategies, plan of work and meetings.
         Aims: To develop youth communication center for ICT for skills transfer through a youth organization that could help the community as an entry point with the purpose of-
        • Developing education level and building capacity of the youths.
        • Help community through networking with other Associations in sharing information globally over the internet.
        • Creating stories for web pages and other related computer services to the community.
        • Create an income generating activity for members.
        Focus: In planning we focused the following:-
        Ø      Work force development and integrated development approach within the community.
        Ø      Capacity building; through training in computer and information handling.
        Ø      Further integrated agenda for rural development.
        Ø      Networking with other partners, groups, associations to bring information coalition and collocation building.
        Ø      …..And try to attain participatory development approach where youths are involved to bring change to the community with the hidden talents.
        Strategies:
                                                                I.      Find local partners in Tanzania & Kenya in organizations, groups, NGOs, experienced to assist.
                                                             II.      Identify what types of assistance these organizations can provide to the youths.
                                                           III.      Have a working collaboration with Udogo youth development group( Kenya )...For- creative solutions, taking participation at courses, sharing materials and visiting the two communities in the two countries for experience as volunteers.

        Maria Agnese Giraudo collaborating and Samwel Kongere co-ordinating the projection of the activities.
        Further; We proposed a working group with officials, stationed to start mobilization of youths in Dar and whole Tanzania if possible.
        Lastly, the meetings planned were to make us get the real picture and see how to come up with an action plan for activities.
        Discussion: between Hellen Mahoo   and Samwel Kongere

        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439
        FOSS ADMIRER
        Community Development

      • Maria Agnese Giraudo
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
          Dear Samwel, Andrius, Janet, William, Rose,  Helen, Mwanaidi, Jeff, Leonard, Pam, Synnove and all,

             I enjoy  looking at great work done by Samwel as  coordinator of  youth in Dar.   African youth is so intelligent, creative and sensitive  regarding human and social issues ...So, it is crucial to join energies, know how, information  to make  an hug impact on life  in Africa as well as in Europe and  everywhere.
          I hope MS and OVF  act  decisively to connect NGOs, community initiatives and so on... Therefore I appreciate a lot what   Janet wrote "Andrius has mentioned elsewhere abt Pam and I (and others hopefully) linking our partners-networks- friends in Kenya and Nigeria more closely, and that will be terrific!  In fact, we do each have a circle of contacts in both countries, and in some cases know the same people and orgs, so that's a great start. I would also like to bring in Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Ghana, and anywhere else that we can make linkages....  I would also like to say now that there is a grant opportunity from The Commonwealth of Learning--called COL-PROTEIN ..... GRASSUP NOW initiative..."
          I don't know what I have to do, I can say that I would like  to be a partner,  to collaborate and share. I hope that youth can easly learn ICT to organize services  for  Africa and  and to sell them  in  Europe too, I don't mean  delocalization but  developmet of new skills and  work capacity.
          All the best!
          Maria Agnese

          samuel kongere <samkongere2004@...> ha scritto:
[...]
          <!--[if !supportLists]-->Ø      <!--[endif]-->Work force development and integrated development approach within the community.
          <!--[if !supportLists]-->Ø      <!--[endif]-->Capacity building; through training in computer and information handling.
          <!--[if !supportLists]-->Ø      <!--[endif]-->Further integrated agenda for rural development.
          <!--[if !supportLists]-->Ø      <!--[endif]-->Networking with other partners, groups, associations to bring information coalition and collocation building.
          <!--[if !supportLists]-->Ø      <!--[endif]-->…..And try to attain participatory development approach where youths are involved to bring change to the community with the hidden talents.
          Strategies:
          <!--[if !supportLists]-->                                                        I.      <!--[endif]-->Find local partners in Tanzania & Kenya in organizations, groups, NGOs, experienced to assist.
          <!--[if !supportLists]-->                                                     II.      <!--[endif]-->Identify what types of assistance these organizations can provide to the youths.
          <!--[if !supportLists]-->                                                   III.      <!--[endif]-->Have a working collaboration with Udogo youth development group( Kenya )...For- creative solutions, taking participation at courses, sharing materials and visiting the two communities in the two countries for experience as volunteers.

          http://mail.yahoo.it