Tummel me, please, to a connected company!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2011
      I share a letter that I wrote asking for help to overcome the corporate
      wall. I appreciate our ideas that I might make-a-living compatible with
      my vision! Thank you for caring.

      I note that Dave Gray's idea of a "connected company" is related to the
      observation that as a city increases in size, productivity also
      increases, see "A Physicist Solves the City" about Geoffrey West
      http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/magazine/19Urban_West-t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
      Whereas as a company grows, its productivity decreases. I'm sure Franz
      Nahrada would debate in favor of villages, but still, this is an
      important perspective to know about. Also, Dave Gray's article sketches
      a "pattern language" for a "connected company".

      Andrius, ms@...
      -----------------------

      Thank you for your loving attention.

      Deb, your letter emboldens me to think that others, too, work to break
      through corporate walls, whether from the inside or the outside.

      I write now about my personal challenges. I relate them to Dave Gray's
      "connected company" and to your tummlers. I recall also Peter Kaminski
      describing himself as a bridge builder instead of a wall builder. I
      think that my life can serve here as an experiment of interest not just
      to myself but others as well. I invite suggestions, what might I do?
      and steps, large and small, how might we work together?

      My goal is to share a culture
      * which fulfills the will of God
      * who loves us more than we love ourselves
      * even as here and now we shut ourselves down, tune ourselves out, turn
      ourselves off
      * thus cherishes the truth of our lives here and now
      * and centers on us as the "poor-in-spirit"
      * who prefer to take many small leaps of faith rather than one big one
      * thus shares the many "ways of figuring things out"
      * lived as games
      * so that we experience interchangeably
      * and know conclusively
      * that we each may stand alone
      * thus one with God and all.
      See: http://www.selflearners.net

      So even right there I'm keen on "Gamestorming"
      http://www.gogamestorm.com And if gamestorming is the micro-activity,
      then perhaps the connected company is the macro-activity.
      http://communicationnation.blogspot.com/2011/02/connected-company.html

      I likewise admire Lord Robert Baden-Powell, founder of scouting, which
      is a culture of games. I aspire to play a role like his, along with
      others. I'm interested in Alcoholics Anonymous, Sarvodaya, monastic
      orders and other purposeful cultures.

      From 1998 to 2010, I led Minciu Sodas, ("Orchard of Thoughts"),
      http://www.ms.lt an online laboratory for independent thinkers around
      the world. We did achieve a culture which was more than just talk.
      Here's a sample communication:
      from that group. Yet our culture was too weak for me to make it work as
      a business, as an economy. I ended up with $140,000 in debt.

      I moved to the US and worked as a tutor, but I won't be given more
      students because I'm too honest. I could look for other work, but in
      field after field - education, finance, health care, food industry - I
      think that systems are working counter to their purposes, which is to
      say, it's not work that I myself could honestly do - I would generally
      get kicked out, as I have. I asked God, what does he want me to do? He
      said that he wants me to apply my creative talents. He has a lot
      invested in me.

      Why do we start businesses? In a divided world, we may be divided
      people, and so we may segregate our work life and our home life. In a
      connected world, we are connected people, for wealth is relationships,
      and we generate wealth by including ourselves and others as fully as we
      can. Given my personal goal, I'm trying to make-a-living in a way that's
      compatible. My downward path is in stages:
      * In a few months, I may go bankrupt, which would discourage me from
      more attempts at business. I currently need $2,500 per month to stay
      afloat.
      * I may or may not find honest work. I'm not keen on competing for work
      that other people are seeking. I'm only paying $400 for my room and I
      get food for free from the church food pantry. I can live on less than
      $1,000 per month.
      * I may go semi-homeless. I may get my glasses broken or teeth smashed
      or my laptop stolen. I may go around praying for people and/or becoming
      a Peace Lord here in Black America. Ultimately, I think the need to
      "make a living" is a fiction, a bogeyman. I may find out.

      If I didn't feel an obligation to make a living, then I would write up
      the hundreds of ways that I myself have figured things out in my
      philosophy and my life. I've organized them nicely in a "house of
      knowledge" of 24 rooms: http://www.selflearners.net/ways/

      In a connected world, what does business look like? I believe that the
      one-person firm is the most natural. Each person participates directly
      in their own relationships. This makes for the maximum amount of
      relationships amongst firms. People may group together in a fluid way.
      Each person is hyperflexible like Jesus, like a person-in-general, like
      an entrepreneur. People relate to each other as equals.

      What size of service is optimal for such an entrepreneur? I would like
      to serve 5 to 10 clients at $5,000 to $10,000 each per year. That way
      for each client I pull together dozens of relationships to yield
      something unique. If I were to serve more clients for smaller amounts,
      then I would end up competing with corporations that are optimized to
      sell commodities. I would have to hire people, supervise them and tend
      towards a corporation myself.

      What can I offer? I can document and share "ways of figuring things out"
      in domains such as mathematics, science, engineering, medicine, law,
      governance, finance, business, agriculture, cooking, fashion, art,
      theatre, ethics and more. I can interview creative people and feature
      them. I can engage them at their online communities and thank our
      sponsors meanwhile, as I and my lab did for Mornflake cereal and their
      online video contest http://www.selflearners.net/Network/KindWords This
      would yield thousands of "ways of figuring things out", a trove of
      knowledge, a foundation for a culture. See my proposal:
      http://www.selflearners.net/Business/Proposal

      In a connected world, people of means and imagination would meet me
      halfway. I imagine:
      * Stephen Wolfram would fund me to promote Wolfram Alpha
      http://www.wolframalpha.com, Mathematica, "A New Kind of Science" while
      sharing "ways of figuring things out" in mathematics.
      * Larry Bock of the USA Science & Engineering Festival
      http://www.usasciencefestival.org would fund me to promote the festival
      while noting how the scientific method is variously used in different
      fields (geology, astronomy, genetics, quantum physics...) and how
      scientists and engineers dream up their ideas.
      * Jeff Arnold of ShareCare http://www.sharecare.com would fund me to
      show the many ways that doctors figure things out and you can, too.
      * Jeff Dachis of Dachis Group http://www.dachisgroup.com would fund me
      to uncover ways of figuring out what's right or wrong in business, or
      perhaps, ways of figuring out the characteristics of a connected company.
      http://www.selflearners.net/Business/Prospects

      I'm naive to think they might. In a divided world, they would not
      because they would think only of themselves, primarily, how to make more
      money with the money they have, rather than spend it. In a connected
      world, they would be inclusive and meet me and others half way and share
      resources towards a shared vision. President Obama, well meaning as he
      is, rallied Americans to compete against other nations, and thereby
      showed that ours is a divided world.

      This is where tummlers come in. I read at Deborah Schultz's site
      http://www.deborahschultz.com and podcast (with Heather Gold and Kevin
      Marks) http://tummelvision.tv that "tummler" is a Yiddish concept - an
      entertainer who hosts a public and encourages them to participate -
      which they now recognize in the online world. Tummlers engage us to
      work together. Schmoozing and matchmaking are other Yiddish concepts,
      but I think tummeling is adamantly public, and thus key for fostering a
      connected world.

      I offer myself as a "tummlee" for experiments in "tummeling".

      I believe that the culture I seek, and the ways of figuring things out,
      are key for a connected world. Nobody may care the questions I ask or
      the answers I find. (If you do, see my video, "I Wish to Know"
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArN-YbPlf8M ) But I think they may care
      about the ways that I've figured things out because they may apply them
      to their own concerns. The ways of figuring things out can be a
      universal language if we can phrase them as games for all to try.

      Who would care about such a culture?

      A connected company is one which gives rise to spaces for tummlers,
      whether inside or outside.

      Which companies are key for a connected world?

      Twitter http://www.twitter.com and Kickstarter
      http://www.kickstarter.com come to mind. Twitter, unlike Facebook, is
      not a walled garden, but rather is open for all to see. Tweets are de
      facto Public Domain as they are so short and retweeting is encouraged,
      with or without attribution. Tweets are a public way to acknowledge
      working relationships.

      In 2000, I and my lab published a draft of a "Mindset standard" for
      import/export of "thoughts" between tools like TheBrain
      http://www.thebrain.com and MindManager http://www.mindmanager.com
      http://www.ms.lt/mindset.html Back then there was little content. But
      now there are hundreds of millions of tweets that could be organized in
      combinations of sequences, hierarchies and networks, as the standard
      envisaged. More broadly, we could study and share how "tweeting", and
      the aggregates created, are used to figure things out.

      I am delighted to think that Deborah and Dave and Jerry and others might
      "tummel" me, as you think best, just to see what's possible. I've tried
      to show with Gamestorming that I'll work for free if that's compatible
      with finding paid work in what's relevant for me. I created a
      Gamestorming cheat sheet and wrote a Wikipedia article. Dave was very
      supportive and invited me to blog that at http://www.gogamestorm.com I
      would love to do more such work for whoever sees what might be most
      fruitful.

      Thank you,

      http://www.selflearners.net
      ms@...