Re: [holistichelping] REBIRTH OF OUR NATION/Joy, Mark, All: Peace-Development-ICTs Focus/Ushahidi: Focus on Women

  • Mark Roest
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2010
      Dear Janet,

      You may be able to get more support and a platform by contacting the outreach or headquarters people at Wiser Earth <www.WiserEarth.org>, and possibly get significant networking for Commonwealth members also from Commonwealth Of Learning <www.col.org>.

      Regards,

      Mark

      On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:

      Dear Joy, Mark, and All,

      It's wonderful to see you posting here, and to know that you are in Kenya now! Also to see exciting and informative posts from Mark, and responses from Sam and Ronald. And to know that you have met Tom!!

      It would be great if you could meet James Onyango and the folks at KAIPPG, too, who are in Mumias. Is there a possibility that you could go there?

      I'm eager to hear more about your meeting with the Ushahidi folks, several of whom I know, including founder, Ory Okolloh. When I first met her (online), she was at Harvard, focusing part of her law studies on women's inheritance issues in Kenya, esp related to land. This is a huge issue still in Kenya, and it would be so valuable to develop some integrative projects combining development, the empowerment of women, peace-related activities, and ICTs.

      At their request, I did some international networking during this past winter for Ushahidi, hoping to interest women's groups in particular to use this technology. They had also asked me to do the same within Kenya. I suggested a number of orgs and asked if they were already working with them, but have not heard back on that.

      If you are still to meet with them, perhaps you could ask them if they have a list of orgs they are already working with in Kenya, as that might help to figure out what others should be contacted, how groups within HH could fit into these activities, and to what uses the Ushahidi technology could be put, related both to peace and also to other subjects, from development to gender violence.

      We have individuals and groups here who I'm sure would be interested, including the Jumuiya Women group, and a group headed by Peris Jelagat, Ken Chelimo's wife, called Kjimwomengroup.

      Are any members here familiar with Ushahidi, or using it already, and would you be interested to learn more?

      Joy, do you have some goals or specific interests in terms of your trip, and what sorts of follow-on activities do you envision? Are you in touch with Ricardo, as he has been working with Tom, Ken C, Ken Owino and others on ICTs-related activities?

      Mark, your letters are fascinating, and I wonder if you could outline in more detail some of the ideas and activities you envision coming out of the networking you and Joy are doing?

      Immense thanks and blessings to all, Janet