President El Bashir - Kenyans sleep in Police cells tonight for challenging President Kibaki to arrest him

  • George Nyongesa
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2010

      Kenyans to sleep in Police cells for challenging President Kibaki to arrest President El Bashir!

      Two Kenyans will tonight spend the night in Nairobi’s Central Police Station after they were earlier this afternoon arrested by a contingent of Senior Police officers and booked after demonstrating against the invitation to Kenya of President El Bashir for whom the International Criminal Court has issued a warrant of arrest.

      The two, Mr. Francis Kihara and Mr. Peter Muli, who are members of Bunge la Mwananchi, were among hundreds of Kenyans that took to the streets at 3pm Kenyan time to protest against the presence of Sudanese President El Bashir at the state hosted celebration at Uhuru Park to usher in Kenya’s New Constitution. The protesters had matched peacefully along Muindi Mbingu Street through Kenyatta Avenue to the Nation Media House carrying placards and chanting choruses of “Bashir must go to the Hague!” when they were ambushed by police, tear-gassed, chased and clobbered around in the streets of Nairobi. In the helter-skelter that ensued the police managed to arrest these two individuals.

      The demonstrators’ had wanted to petition President Mwai Kibaki through the media to arrest Mr. El Bashir and hand him over to the International Criminal Court at the Hague for presiding over crimes against humanity in Sudan. The demonstration was organized by Bunge la Mwananchi which is a nationwide grassroots people’s movement in Kenya that provides a platform for grassroots Kenyans to demand political accountability, good governance and social justice.

      We are following up at the Central Police Station to ascertain the charges with which the two are being held, although efforts so far have been frustrated by adamant police at the station. It is not yet clear with what offence it is proposed to keep holding and perhaps later charge the two with as we have been denied all access to them. We hope to at least be permitted to provide our colleagues with some warm food to fortify them against the long cold night ahead.

      We will keep you updated on progress made and as information becomes available. We are in the process of compiling a comprehensive report that will include pictures from the procession that we will circulate shortly.

      Signed:

      George Nyongesa

      For Bunge la Mwananchi

      +254 720 451 235