[holistichelping] Joy Tang in Kenya - would like to meet up w/ people from this network

  • Joy
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 26, 2010
      Hello, Everyone,

      Long time to speak up here.

      I am greeting to you from Nairobi, Kenya. Arrived here this morning - Aug. 26 to attend the Maker Faire Africa event and meet w/ the Ushahidi team.

      I would like to meet with you on this network. I tried to call Kennedy Chelimo without success.

      I am staying at the Kenya Comfort Hotel.

      I would like to meet w/ Kennedy Odhimbo at Kisuma and our old friends from Mbita area as well. If you could contact me at the Kenya Comfort Hotel or reply me by email - that would be great.

      Best!
      Joy Tang
    • james karongo
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 26, 2010
        Hi Joy,

        I am in Nairobi and would love to meet you. My number is 0723 222 278. When you are free I would like to meet you.

        JAMES KARONGO KURIA

        Associate Programme Officer NOPE & Y-PEER FOCAL POINT IN CHARGE-KENYA
        P.O. BOX 10498-00100,
        NAIROBI, KENYA EAST AFRICA
        TEL:+254 723 222 278 & +254 736 384 464

        MANDERA ROAD OFF GATUNDU ROAD

        KILELESHWA NAIROBI.

        BLOG: jameskarongo.blogspot.com

        EMAIL: jkarongo@... & james.karongo@...

        WEBSITE: www.nope.or.ke & www.youthpeer.org

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 26, 2010
          Hello Susan, Joy, Tim and All,

          Susan, I just got this posting (copied below) from Joy Tang, founder of oneVillage Foundation, which has its main operations in Ghana, near and at the site of the University of Education, Winneba, but also had operations in Nairobi and Kisumu, and partnered with three other organizations near Lake Victoria in a grant with the Commonwealth Of Learning (www.col.org) several years ago, to create Open and Distance Learning (ODL) modules. I helped write that grant and support the participants in the grant-writing and negotiating. oneVillage Foundation started as the AIDS Relief Foundation, or ARF, and changed its name when the mission scope broadened.

          Joy was also the Business Development person for all of Cisco Systems, for governments and institutions in the developing world -- and created that position. You both have much in common in your roles, values and commitments.

          Joy, I recently met Susan Saiyorri, the Outreach Director of JamiiBora Bank, at a Collaborate Africa meeting. I want to get you together with her, to see her presentation and hear her personal story, and compare her past with what she is doing to realize her potential and that of many others. JamiiBora started with one woman and four children, and now serves over 300,000 people, who they reach as beggars and teach the path to prosperity and entrepreneurship. They are also starting something in Ghana!

          I see you as being able to bring oneVillage network resources and knowledge to them, and them as providing a magnificent pilot program and scaling opportunity for those aspects that they choose to adopt.

          The closest (very!) parallel is Sarvodaya -- they are almost the same, but the operate in slums, with small groups of women, rather than in villages. yet, they or their parents or grandparents came from villages, so your insight can provide an opportunity for them to strategize the process of returning as prodigals, with knowledge, tools and investment money.

          I have lots of ideas along this line, of course, including using DesignFluence to provide systematic industrial design support services for their business formation and growth. David also met Susan and wants to support them in that way.

          I would also urge you to visit Manor house, about 45 to 60 miles north of Kisumu and somewhat east of the lake, if you can. That is where they have taught BioIntensive Gardening to literally thousands of people over the years.

          Finally, there is a world-class geographic information systems center in Kenya somewhere; I think Tim Foresman told me about it so perhaps he can set up an introduction.

          If you get a chance, could you also talk with her about Chris Richardson and WorldVistA.org? The riveting background history, the technical support information and the social network resources are on their Hardhats page.

          Gotta go!

          Regards,

          Mark

          Here is Susan's contact information:

          Susan Saiyorri
          JamiiBora Bank

              work    +254 20 2034512/3/4/7/43
              mobile    +254 726 909 684
              work fax    +254 20 2034544

              work    susan.saiyorri@...
              home    ssaiyiorri@...     (there is an extra i in her name here)

              home page    www.jamiibora.org

              work    Funzi Road Nairobi, Kenya

              work    P.O. Box 2704, KNH 00202, Kenya

               Note:     Outreach Director

          Met at Collaborate Africa meetup 8-12-10

          Regards,

          Mark

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 26, 2010
            Hello All,

            I forgot two more pieces of the puzzle:

            Songhai invents and manufacturers tools -- they could have a partnership with JamiiBora and oneVillage Foundation also, making tools for a much larger market base.

            Which leads to: seeing JamiiBora as a marketing, sales and distribution channel of 300,000 people, which can easily grow to 30 million across Africa, based on their success so far.

            Regards,

            Mark

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 26, 2010
              Hello, James,

              Thanks for reaching out. Yes, I would love to meet you!

              Will you have time to attend the Maker Faire Event on Aug. 27-28? http://makerfaireafrica.com/   It is in the Univ. of Nairobi.

              I am staying in the Kenya Comfort Hotel. If we could meet up tonight for a short chat, that would be great as well.

              Here is the number to reach me at: 736 154 845

              Greetings from Nairobi!

              Joy

              --
              Joy Tang
              Founder & Executive Director

              http://blog.onevillage.tv/
              http://twitter.com/unitydrum
              http://www.youtube.com/user/1vdg
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/1village
            • Samwel Kongere
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 26, 2010
                Ok Joy,
                 You are welcome to Mbita do plan with Tom and we will get updates.
                Samwel.

                Social Community Network/Information Coordinator,
                Suba/Mbita-Kenya
                'Aliving hope is desire' When it is socially lived!

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 26, 2010
                  Hello Joy and Susan and All,

                  Today I met Nigel Waller, CEO of Movirtu Limited, which has a system in which a computer at the cell phone company operations facility is used to create accounts for multiple users for any cell phone. The cell phone is set up so only one function in it operates; that connects the user with the computer 'in the cloud'. He is talking with someone from JamiiBora in London -- maybe Susan? It would enable the JamiiBora office (or the WinnebaOpenDigitalVillage) to serve many people with advanced services, including the ability to make payments through their individual accounts, or to get information on crop prices, or many other possibilities. I told Nigel about oneVillage Foundation and JamiiBora, and about my postings this morning, and he asked to be connected with Susan and Joy. So, please meet Nigel.

                  Movirtu Limited
                  2nd Floor
                  145-157 St. John Street
                  London
                  ECqV 4PY, UK
                  Tel: +44 20 7043 1131
                  Fax: +44 20 3051 7313
                  Mob: +44 7766 463 463
                  Email: nigel.waller@...
                  Web: www.movirtu.com

                  I also met Laura Stachel, the gynecologist who founded WE CARE Solar, with her husband, engineer and educator Hal Aronson, Ph.D.. They make solar systems in a suitcase, which provide LED lighting and battery charging for maternity wards and surgery centers, with other applications as well. I talked about the idea of JamiiBora as a distribution channel, and she asked to be introduced to Susan.
                  Laura@...
                  3009 Hillegass Ave.
                  Berkeley, CA 94705
                  www.wecaresolar.org

                  Regards,

                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 26, 2010
                    Hello all,

                    I forgot to mention, one possibility I see is that besides marketing, sales and distribution, there are probably plenty of people with a talent for manufacturing in JamiiBora, as well,  so it winds up being a potential large-scale pilot for a sustainable economy, with support from (and demonstrating) some of oneVillageFoundation principles and networks.

                    It could also tap into holistichelping's network, which is receiving this as a posting.

                    Regards,

                    Mark

                  • ronald omondi
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 27, 2010
                      Kenya reborn today through the promulgation of the New Constitution We thank the almighty God and everyone who has been with us thru our darkest time.
                      May Almighty God bless Kenya

                      RONALD OTIENO OMONDI
                      NYANDO DISTRCIT YOUTH INITIATIVE
                      P O BOX 1 AWASI, KISUMU
                      KENYA.
                      TEL 254 722 480 811

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 27, 2010
                        I am so fortunate to witness the celebration in Kenya. After what's been transpiring after the election in 2008, this is the fruit of all the struggles people have gone through together. I met w/ Tom Ochuka today face to face. What a moment! We did an interview with his sharing on what had happened in the post-election turmoil in 2008 and how Kenya is celebrating the new constitution as 'NEW KENYA' era.

                        We are planning to take a road trip to Kisumu and Mbita areas where we had communication with the networks. It is an emotional time for me to finally meet those friends in person. I wish to see how we have all evolved and what we could align at this point.

                        It is very different in Kenya from in Nigeria and Ghana. I am impressed by what I experienced so far. I also look forward to seeing the rural sites with my own eyes.

                        Greetings to the Dynamic Selves as Unity!

                        Joy Tang

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 27, 2010
                          Great moments for a new kenya as the country celebrated the ushering in of the new constitution. We are living in a world where people forget the worst past and focus the future with an ultimate postive ideas in plan.
                          As a social networker i am finding ways of redrawing tangible plans for a greater improved community.
                          I also wish to thank Tom Ochuka for meeting Joy Tang in Nairobi and plan our behalf . Bravo Tom and Joy for a complishing former chats, work, social virtual meeting to a serious face to face in Kenya.
                          Our network is a steady board of actual i donot know if Ken Owino is already in Nairobi to meet Joy as well? I am in Mbita-Rusinga island and hoping to meet Joy and her friend Ulrike.
                          Welcome Joy!
                          Samwel.

                          On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:14 Etc/GMT+12 Joy wrote:

                          >I am so fortunate to witness the celebration in Kenya. After what's been
                          >transpiring after the election in 2008, this is the fruit of all the
                          >struggles people have gone through together. I met w/ Tom Ochuka today face
                          >to face. What a moment! We did an interview with his sharing on what had
                          >happened in the post-election turmoil in 2008 and how Kenya is celebrating
                          >the new constitution as 'NEW KENYA' era.
                          >
                          >We are planning to take a road trip to Kisumu and Mbita areas where we had
                          >communication with the networks. It is an emotional time for me to finally
                          >meet those friends in person. I wish to see how we have all evolved and what
                          >we could align at this point.
                          >
                          >It is very different in Kenya from in Nigeria and Ghana. I am impressed by
                          >what I experienced so far. I also look forward to seeing the rural sites
                          >with my own eyes.
                          >
                          >Greetings to the Dynamic Selves as Unity!
                          >
                          >Joy Tang
                          >
                          >On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM, ronald omondi <obobo2002@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> Kenya reborn today through the promulgation of the New Constitution We
                          >> thank the almighty God and everyone who has been with us thru our darkest
                          >> time.
                          >> May Almighty God bless Kenya
                          >>
                          >> RONALD OTIENO OMONDI
                          >> NYANDO DISTRCIT YOUTH INITIATIVE
                          >> P O BOX 1 AWASI, KISUMU
                          >> KENYA.
                          >> TEL 254 722 480 811
                          >>

                          >> ------------------------------
                          >> *From:* Mark Roest <marklroest@...>
                          >> *To:* holistichelping@yahoogroups.com; Susan Saiyorri <
                          >> SSaiyiorri@...>; Joy Tang <joy@...>; Joy Tang <
                          >> unitydrum@...>; nigel.waller@...; Laura Stachel <
                          >> Laura@...>; Tim Foresman <foresman@...>; Chris
                          >> Richardson <rcr@...>; David Alan Foster <dalan@...

                          >>> 145-157 St. John Street
                          >>> London
                          >>> ECqV 4PY, UK
                          >>> Tel: +44 20 7043 1131
                          >>> Fax: +44 20 3051 7313
                          >>> Mob: +44 7766 463 463
                          >>> Email: nigel.waller@...
                          >>> Web: www.movirtu.com
                          >>>
                          >>> I also met Laura Stachel, the gynecologist who founded WE CARE Solar, with
                          >>> her husband, engineer and educator Hal Aronson, Ph.D.. They make solar
                          >>> systems in a suitcase, which provide LED lighting and battery charging for
                          >>> maternity wards and surgery centers, with other applications as well. I
                          >>> talked about the idea of JamiiBora as a distribution channel, and she asked
                          >>> to be introduced to Susan.
                          >>> Laura@...
                          >>> 3009 Hillegass Ave.
                          >>> Berkeley, CA 94705
                          >>> www.wecaresolar.org
                          >>>
                          >>> Regards,
                          >>>
                          >>> Mark

                          >--
                          >Joy Tang
                          >Founder & Executive Director
                          >oneVillage Foundation (OVF)
                          >www.onevillagefoundation.org
                          >joy@...
                          >+886.988.164.558
                          >
                          >http://blog.onevillage.tv/
                          >http://twitter.com/unitydrum
                          >http://www.youtube.com/user/1vdg
                          >http://www.flickr.com/photos/1village
                        • tom ochuka
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 27, 2010
                            Dear Janet,Joy ,Ronald and all.
                            Many thanks for this connection,we have finaly met with Joy in anew kenya at the capital city,am In Nairobi to met with the Urban Deaf and discuss how to make  aregional connections with the daf in the rural with the view to update them on the vision 2030.
                            so we shall have ameeting in Donholm outside the city.
                            Then will plan for the next programees arround here.
                            Bye to all
                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 28, 2010
                              Hi Sam and All,

                              Thanks for your posting and sharing of this great moment our country-Kenya is celebrating.
                              It has been long awaited, it has taken decades of lobbying, lives sacrificed, and promises broken.
                              Kenya now joins the high table of nations with progressive and democratic constitutions.
                              We are all united in full harmony regardless of our political affliations, or ethnical backgrounds to celebrate this historic significance and intergrate the Nation firmly.

                              I reserve great amount of respect, admiration and appreciation for you for having introduced me to the networking world.
                              I have met great minds online and offline, shared and learnt alot from each other.
                              I am arriving in Nairobi on Tuesday 1st September and will also take a road trip through Kisumu to Mbita to meet you, Tom Ochuka and probably more independent thinkers.
                              I will be in Mbita the weekend of 4th Sept to 7th Sept.
                              I have alot of catch up and idea sharing to do with you.
                              I was in London a Month ago, where i met Pam, compared notes on our overlapping interests, brainstormed on ideas about grassroot projects empowerment.
                              I would like to visit your projects in Mbita and share more on the same.

                              I will be in Nairobi untill 31st September.
                              I would love to meet Joy at some point, in Nairobi or Mbita.
                              I will get intouch with you immediately i touch down to look into the possibilities.

                              See you soon,

                              Ken Owino
                              Nafsi Africa Acrobats

                              Great moments for a new kenya as the country celebrated the ushering in of the new constitution. We are living in a world where people forget the worst past and focus the future with an ultimate postive ideas in plan.
                              As a social networker i am finding ways of redrawing tangible plans for a greater improved community.
                              I also wish to thank Tom Ochuka for meeting Joy Tang in Nairobi and plan our behalf . Bravo Tom and Joy for a complishing former chats, work, social virtual meeting to a serious face to face in Kenya.
                              Our network is a steady board of actual i donot know if Ken Owino is already in Nairobi to meet Joy as well? I am in Mbita-Rusinga island and hoping to meet Joy and her friend Ulrike.
                              Welcome Joy!
                              Samwel.

                              On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:14 Etc/GMT+12 Joy wrote:

                              >I am so fortunate to witness the celebration in Kenya. After what's been
                              >transpiring after the election in 2008, this is the fruit of all the
                              >struggles people have gone through together. I met w/ Tom Ochuka today face
                              >to face. What a moment! We did an interview with his sharing on what had
                              >happened in the post-election turmoil in 2008 and how Kenya is celebrating
                              >the new constitution as 'NEW KENYA' era.
                              >
                              >We are planning to take a road trip to Kisumu and Mbita areas where we had
                              >communication with the networks. It is an emotional time for me to finally
                              >meet those friends in person. I wish to see how we have all evolved and what
                              >we could align at this point.
                              >
                              >It is very different in Kenya from in Nigeria and Ghana. I am impressed by
                              >what I experienced so far. I also look forward to seeing the rural sites
                              >with my own eyes.
                              >
                              >Greetings to the Dynamic Selves as Unity!
                              >
                              >Joy Tang
                              >
                              >On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM, ronald omondi <obobo2002@...> wrote:
                              >

                              >> Kenya reborn today through the promulgation of the New Constitution We
                              >> thank the almighty God and everyone who has been with us thru our darkest
                              >> time.
                              >> May Almighty God bless Kenya
                              >>
                              >> RONALD OTIENO OMONDI
                              >> NYANDO DISTRCIT YOUTH INITIATIVE
                              >> P O BOX 1 AWASI, KISUMU
                              >> KENYA.
                              >> TEL 254 722 480 811
                              >>

                              >> ------------------------------
                              >> *From:* Mark Roest <marklroest@...>
                              >> *To:* holistichelping@yahoogroups.com; Susan Saiyorri <
                              >> SSaiyiorri@...>; Joy Tang <joy@...>; Joy Tang <
                              >> unitydrum@...>; nigel.waller@...; Laura Stachel <
                              >> Laura@...>; Tim Foresman <foresman@...>; Chris
                              >> Richardson <rcr@...>; David Alan Foster <dalan@...

                              >>> 145-157 St. John Street

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 29, 2010
                                O k Ken Thanks,
                                I am in Nairobi to meet to Joy and will update you as we are discussing an initiative.
                                Great to hear from you.
                                Meet you then
                                Samwel.

                                Social Community Network/Information Coordinator,
                                Suba/Mbita-Kenya
                                'Aliving hope is desire' When it is socially lived!

                                Great moments for a new kenya as the country celebrated the ushering in of the new constitution. We are living in a world where people forget the worst past and focus the future with an ultimate postive ideas in plan.
                                As a social networker i am finding ways of redrawing tangible plans for a greater improved community.
                                I also wish to thank Tom Ochuka for meeting Joy Tang in Nairobi and plan our behalf . Bravo Tom and Joy for a complishing former chats, work, social virtual meeting to a serious face to face in Kenya.
                                Our network is a steady board of actual i donot know if Ken Owino is already in Nairobi to meet Joy as well? I am in Mbita-Rusinga island and hoping to meet Joy and her friend Ulrike.
                                Welcome Joy!
                                Samwel.

                                On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:14 Etc/GMT+12 Joy wrote:

                                >I am so fortunate to witness the celebration in Kenya. After what's been
                                >transpiring after the election in 2008, this is the fruit of all the
                                >struggles people have gone through together. I met w/ Tom Ochuka today face
                                >to face. What a moment! We did an interview with his sharing on what had
                                >happened in the post-election turmoil in 2008 and how Kenya is celebrating
                                >the new constitution as 'NEW KENYA' era.
                                >
                                >We are planning to take a road trip to Kisumu and Mbita areas where we had
                                >communication with the networks. It is an emotional time for me to finally
                                >meet those friends in person. I wish to see how we have all evolved and what
                                >we could align at this point.
                                >
                                >It is very different in Kenya from in Nigeria and Ghana. I am impressed by
                                >what I experienced so far. I also look forward to seeing the rural sites
                                >with my own eyes.
                                >
                                >Greetings to the Dynamic Selves as Unity!
                                >
                                >Joy Tang
                                >
                                >On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM, ronald omondi <obobo2002@...> wrote:
                                >

                                >> Kenya reborn today through the promulgation of the New Constitution We
                                >> thank the almighty God and everyone who has been with us thru our darkest
                                >> time.
                                >> May Almighty God bless Kenya
                                >>
                                >> RONALD OTIENO OMONDI
                                >> NYANDO DISTRCIT YOUTH INITIATIVE
                                >> P O BOX 1 AWASI, KISUMU
                                >> KENYA.
                                >> TEL 254 722 480 811
                                >>

                                >> ------------------------------
                                >> *From:* Mark Roest <marklroest@...>
                                >> *To:* holistichelping@yahoogroups.com; Susan Saiyorri <
                                >> SSaiyiorri@...>; Joy Tang <joy@...>; Joy Tang <
                                >> unitydrum@...>; nigel.waller@...; Laura Stachel <
                                >> Laura@...>; Tim Foresman <foresman@...>; Chris
                                >> Richardson <rcr@...>; David Alan Foster <dalan@...

                                >>> 145-157 St. John Street

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 29, 2010
                                  I met Samwel, Tom, Kennedy Onyango and Peter today in Nairobi. We shared a good African meal tonight which is satisfying to say the least.

                                  We met @ iHub and I showed them the network operation center, the operation model and working dynamics. Everyone's mind is active in thinking how it came about and what if this kind of place could be set up in rural villages / area.

                                  Here is an article I wrote for Future Challenges as a newly established media platform:

                                  From Pyramid of Peace to Ushahidi - Can Technology Change the World?

                                  http://futurechallenges.org/web/guest/learn/new-governance/article/-/articles/Can+Technology+Change+the+World%3F

                                  I know many of you have been part of PoP but not knowing about the development of Ushahidi and applications / tools like Frontline SMS. I discussed w/ our friends today about using the tools to engage for the services each of them could design. By way of mobile applications for service deployment, it would bypass the dilemma on the cost associated with infrastructure level. I strongly encourage you investigate the solutions and try them for yourselves:

                                  http://www.frontlinesms.com/
                                  http://www.ushahidi.com/

                                  We will meet up tomorrow to go over where each person's work and life stands and go from there.

                                  Wish you all well in this network.

                                  I hope you follow me on my twitter:
                                  http://twitter.com/unitydrum

                                  check out our blog and youtube channel.

                                  It is about sharing.

                                  To help others to help themselves.

                                  Joy

                                  On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Samwel Kongere <jambita1@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                  >happened in the post-election turmoil in 2008 and how Kenya is celebrating
                                  >the new constitution as 'NEW KENYA' era.
                                  >
                                  >We are planning to take a road trip to Kisumu and Mbita areas where we had
                                  >communication with the networks. It is an emotional time for me to finally
                                  >meet those friends in person. I wish to see how we have all evolved and what
                                  >we could align at this point.
                                  >
                                  >It is very different in Kenya from in Nigeria and Ghana. I am impressed by
                                  >what I experienced so far. I also look forward to seeing the rural sites
                                  >with my own eyes.
                                  >
                                  >Greetings to the Dynamic Selves as Unity!
                                  >
                                  >Joy Tang
                                  >
                                  >On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM, ronald omondi <obobo2002@...> wrote:
                                  >

                                  >> Kenya reborn today through the promulgation of the New Constitution We
                                  >> thank the almighty God and everyone who has been with us thru our darkest

                                  >>> 145-157 St. John Street

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 10, 2010
                                    Hello, James,
                                    We never got to meet in person while in Nairobi. Thanks for calling me.
                                    Wish you all the best in all your endeavor!