Making the most of COMMUNIA's Torino meeting?

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2010
      Minciu Sodas http://www.ms.lt is a member of the European Union's
      thematic network COMMUNIA for the Public Domain
      http://www.communia-project.eu COMMUNIA's twelfth and final meeting is
      the conference "University and Cyberspace: Reshaping Knowledge
      Institutions for the Networked Age", June 28-30, Torino, Italy.
      http://www.communia2010.org There will also be working group meetings,
      including WG4 Economic Analysis and New Business Paradigms, and WG5 The
      Public Sphere.

      Minciu Sodas has available from COMMUNIA about 4,000 EUR for our
      participants to attend this meeting to pay for their travel, meals and
      accomodation, subject to certain rules. I'm writing to ask how we might
      make the most of this opportunity?

      In March 2008, Minciu Sodas hosted the COMMUNIA workshop in Vilnius. We
      organized ten debates on aspects of an "Ethical Public Domain". Our
      participants included Eric Wanjamah (Sweden/Kenya), Maria Agnese Giraudo
      (Italy), Pamela McLean (UK), Theresa Bakalarz (Austria), Didzis
      Veinbergs (Latvia), Markus Petz (Finland), Dante Gabryell-Monson
      (Belgium), Kennedy Owino (Kenya) and nine other members of the Nafsi
      Afrika Acrobats (Kenya), and about 50 participants from Lithuania (and
      Uzhupis!). Sasha Mrkailo (Serbia) participated by video bridge, Benoit
      Couture (Canada) and others by online chat and Fred Kayiwa's (Uganda)
      position paper was read aloud. At the workshop, Zenonas Anusauskas
      introduced live video streaming to the Elta news agency, and 3,000 EUR
      his organization earned was the major source of income for establishing
      his rural-based Internet television station http://www.internetinetv.lt
      The Nafsi Afrika Acrobats http://www.nafsiafrica.org gave 5 free
      performances, including on Lithuania's morning television show. Our
      meeting came right after our successful work together, in the Public
      Domain, to avert genocide in Kenya http://www.pyramidofpeace.net

      In March 2009, we organized a one-week trip of Minciu Sodas participants
      to the London workshop. Samwel Kongere and Rachel Wambui Kungu came from
      Kenya. Zdenka Mrkailo and Ana Ilic of Serbia presented Public Domain
      Fashion and did a photo shoot. Zenonas Anusauskas and Irena Buinickaite
      introduced video bridging to the UK Lithuanian community who also hosted
      a meeting with all of us at a London pub. Graham Knight presented DIY
      Solar panels for recharging mobile phones. We visited The Hub and also
      met with George Auckland at the BBC. We met with John Caswell of Group
      Partners, who agreed that we develop a Public Domain version of his
      "Structured Visual Thinking" strategic consulting which serves executive
      teams of the world's largest companies. http://www.grouppartnerswiki.net
      We twice visited with Leon Benjamin http://www.winningbysharing.net of
      the advertising agency The Law Firm who subsequently hired our team for
      6,000 GBP to create, in the Public Domain, a directory of 500 UK online
      communities, and to engage 70 of them on behalf of Mornflake cereal's
      online video contest. http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?MornflakeOutreach
      He wrote, "I’ve been working in the online community space since 2001.
      [As business developer for Ecademy]. In that time, I've never seen such
      a successful approach to seeding and community outreach. Nor have I seen
      a report as comprehensive as this."

      COMMUNIA has thus catalyzed our innovative activity in the Public
      Domain. I'm especially grateful for invitations that helped with getting
      visas for our African and Serbian participants.

      I need help if we are to make the most of the June meeting of COMMUNIA.
      * The interpretation of the COMMUNIA travel expense rules has been
      tightened and discourage the extended stays that we've been making.
      Flights are covered 100% only if you arrive the day before the meeting
      and leave the day after the meeting. This conflicts with "sharing
      resources for all to use in their own best judgement" which I think is
      the purpose of the Public Domain and, certainly, Minciu Sodas. I
      therefore need our help that we make an extra effort to align our
      purposes and share our resources.
      * COMMUNIA can't and doesn't cover all of the expenses that arise from
      hosting our large teams. Typically, I've had 1,000 to 2,000 EUR
      additional losses each year for all the costs that can't be recovered.
      And, of course, I need to dedicate about three weeks of my time. This
      means that I need to identify some real business benefit to justify
      them, as was the case in 2008 and 2009.
      * My financial situation is very questionable. I have 120,000 USD in
      debt from 12 years of my efforts to make Minciu Sodas a viable business
      in the Public Domain. I have had no income since August 2009. I am, in
      too many ways, unemployable because this activity does not make for a
      focused resume or typical career. I have about 2,000 USD credit left and
      then I have to beg from my parents or default on my loans or go
      bankrupt. I am borrowing at rates up to 25%. COMMUNIA money is
      reimbursed after the activity and I'm not able to borrow much money.
      * I have yet to find COMMUNIA members who want to partner with Minciu
      Sodas participants on projects, and most broadly, who want to create
      copyright-free resources. I don't know of a working group that might
      host our projects. WG5 ("public sector") might be the natural place, but
      it doesn't seem to be independently active. WG4 ("business paradigms..."
      might also be if there was any interest, as we are the only COMMUNIA
      member who has a business with copyright-free business paradigms. The
      WG4 working group leader Federico Morando (contact for the new EU
      project http://www.lapsi-project.eu) told the WG4 group that he thinks
      of me as a "rent-seeker", somebody who wants to make a living from EU
      projects. Yes, of course! Surely, I want to make a living in any way
      that helps society.

      As a citizen of the European Union, I am sad because I imagine that the
      purpose of all policy, and especially, Public Domain policy, is to
      encourage the initiative that I and other Minciu Sodas participants are
      showing as we innovate for the public good.

      What would make me very happy would be COMMUNIA's help to rally public
      support for my latest business effort, "12 Questions"
      http://www.12questions.org I am focusing on the questions by which I've
      engaged independent thinkers over the years. I have answers from 500+
      people about their deepest values in life and 200+ people about the
      questions they wish to answer http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Values
      and 100+ people about their endeavors
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Endeavors I am organizing artists who
      agree to work in the Public Domain to portray these questions and
      answers. Jerry Michalski http://www.sociate.com, Silicon Valley
      networker and leader of the Relationship Economy eXpedition, has agreed
      that I interview him by Skype for his answers which we'll portray with
      the creative arts. John Caswell, who we met in London, is very
      encouraging because he's been looking for a personal version of his
      "Structured Visual Thinking". I am contacting such entrepreneurs who I
      hope might fund some work to get this going. I appreciate COMMUNIA's
      attention and help with outreach.

      In particular, it would be great to show our art work in the Public
      Domain. http://www.flickr.com/photos/50525222@N00/ I'm doing an art show
      in Vilnius's artist neighborhood Uzhupis of my 10-meter painting "12
      Questions" for 4 weeks in May. We will be creating new works in the
      Public Domain that answer the 12 questions. These questions are very
      meaningful for the "university of the future", for people to know
      themselves and others. I exhibited a 3-meter poster as part of the
      Unibrennt occupation of the University of Vienna and I could show that
      at Torino. My works will also be shown this summer for one month in
      Vienna at the Werk Kulturzentrum. I wrote earlier for the Istanbul
      meeting the kind of activity and exhibit that would be a great help for
      my efforts.

      I ask who might help with a "12 Questions" project at the Torino
      meeting? For example, artist Ana Ilic of Serbia has answered the twelve
      questions and shared two related paintings. Franz Nahrada of Vienna has
      likewised answered them.

      Also, I note that Fred Kayiwa of Uganda is making great efforts to
      attend. He's found people who will host him for a longer stay in Italy
      and Switzerland. So he needs to have a way to pay for up to 50% of his
      travel costs. He does have a place to stay free-of-charge for the Torino
      meeting. An unusual but rather simple way to raise money would be to
      find an Italian NGO or business that might write Minciu Sodas an invoice
      for his stay and my stay during the COMMUNIA meeting, say 100 EUR per
      night. They could then keep part and apply part towards his travel or
      other expenses. My understanding is that this is legal and certainly
      moral because the money would be put to an even better use than
      supporting the hotel industry.

      More generally, I should be able to reimburse 50% of flight costs to the
      meeting for Minciu Sodas participants who would like to travel from
      Europe, North America or elsewhere. In that case, I would reimburse the
      money after I receive it from COMMUNIA.

      I invite us all to write with our ideas, what might we achieve together
      at the Torino meeting? and how might we share resources? Without our
      help, I can't organize our Minciu Sodas travel.

      Thank you,

      +370 699 30003
      skype: minciusodas
    • tom ochuka
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 14, 2010
        Dear Andrius,
        This is great after avery long time ,this workshops have seen many benefited from interactions and ideas,have been quite silence ,have had my brother Edwin Ailing and now is critical,and have also had malaria and now recovering from it.

        This is agood meeting foloowing the one in london and hope to see anumber attaending.
        Tom

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 17, 2010
          Andrius,

          Thank you for the work you do and for keeping us posted. I enjoy reading updates from you.

          I would love to participate in the communia meeting in Italy via video blog, skype or watch the proceeding through live stream - is there arangments to have this technology?

          If there's any way I can help, please don't hesitate to contact me. I remain indebted to you for making my trip to Lithuania a success.

          Eric
          St. Louis, MO

[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              holistichelping-digest@yahoogroups.com
              holistichelping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Sherrie Noble
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17, 2010

            Hi Eric,

            My children have Lithuanian ancestry on their father’s side and are very tech enabled. What did you  do there?  Fyi, I’m living near Boston and met Andrius (Hi Andrius! ) at Berkman.

            Sherrie Noble

            Massachusetts, USA