Farming-food processing social enterprise

  • Maria Agnese Giraudo
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2010

      Dear  Friends,

      as somebody of you knows,  I'm member   with two local people in Tanzania : Mr Ramadhan Juma Chatta, Chairman, businessman and Mr  Amhed Mvunyea , farmer, of   a small-scale farming and food-processing  company/ social enterprise in Tanzania. I 'm mostly in touch with Chris Macrae for  social aspects we would like to develop, following Yunus ideas.  But at first we need to be sustainable  (since my partners are working full-time in the farm and there are several children and adolescents ...).  Then we would like to  involve local community slowly,  and perhaps design a project together, or help them to design their projects. We can't think  only to get benefits for us, we enjoy to share and to learn and to  generate income together, with local community.

      Now we are focused on  pineapple cultivation and we would like to produce in future juice to sell. We are  interested in contacting  other small scale farming enterprises, NGOs, companies  selling low-cost equipments.

       I know that there are sites in the Internet about low-cost equipments.

         I came across

      "VITAGOAT  A Non-Electric Food Processing System
      For Nutrition and Micro-Enterprise Development
          http://www.malnutrition.org/vg_intro.htm

      I would very appreciate to receive your advises and comments and new contacts!

      All the best!

      Maria Agnese Giraudo

    • ricardoolpc
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2010

        Hi Maria Agnese

        I did a quick search for Pineapple juice production and I found these pages on the Pratical Action website. These pages have text versions of articles, but to see the PDF versions with pictures and lists of equipment suppliers, you need to click 'Register' and join Practical Action, login, then add PDFs to your download list, and download them. I did that myself, and the equipment lists in the PDFs look quite useful (juicers, etc).

        Fruit Juice Processing
        http://practicalaction.org/docs/technical_information_service/fruit_juice_processing.pdf

        Mixed Fruit Juice
        http://practicalaction.org/practicalanswers/product_info.php?cPath=28_41&products_id=109

        Lime Juice - Small-scale Production
        http://practicalaction.org/practicalanswers/product_info.php?cPath=28_41&products_id=104

        Lime Juice Clear Cordial
        http://practicalaction.org/practicalanswers/product_info.php?cPath=28_41&products_id=103

        Ricardo

        --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, Maria Agnese Giraudo <mariaagnesegiraudo@...> wrote:

        > Dear  Friends,
        > as somebody of you knows,  I'm member   with two local people in Tanzania : Mr Ramadhan Juma Chatta, Chairman, businessman and Mr  Amhed Mvunyea , farmer, of   a small-scale farming and food-processing  company/ social enterprise in Tanzania. I 'm mostly in touch with Chris Macrae for  social aspects we would like to develop, following Yunus ideas.  But at first we need to be sustainable  (since my partners are working full-time in the farm and there are several children and adolescents ...).  Then we would like to  involve local community slowly,  and perhaps design a project together, or help them to design their projects. We can't think  only to get benefits for us, we enjoy to share and to learn and to  generate income together, with local community.
        > Now we are focused on  pineapple cultivation and we would like to produce in future juice to sell. We are  interested in contacting  other small scale farming enterprises, NGOs, companies  selling low-cost equipments.
        >  I know that there are sites in the Internet about low-cost equipments.
        >    I came across
        > "VITAGOAT  A Non-Electric Food Processing System
        > For Nutrition and Micro-Enterprise Development    http://www.malnutrition.org/vg_intro.htm
        > I would very appreciate to receive your advises and comments and new contacts!
        > All the best!
        > Maria Agnese Giraudo

      • ricardoolpc
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 24, 2010
          Hi Maria Agnese

          I did a quick search for 'Pineapple juice production' and I found these pages on the Practical Action website about fruit juice production, including pineapple, mango, lime, etc.

          These pages have text versions of the articles, but to see the PDF versions with pictures and lists of equipment suppliers, you need to click 'Register' and join Practical Action, login, then add PDFs to your download list, and download them. I did that myself, and the equipment lists in the PDFs look quite useful (juicers, etc).

          Ricardo

          --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, Maria Agnese Giraudo <mariaagnesegiraudo@...> wrote:

          > Dear  Friends,
          > as somebody of you knows,  I'm member   with two local people in Tanzania : Mr Ramadhan Juma Chatta, Chairman, businessman and Mr  Amhed Mvunyea , farmer, of   a small-scale farming and food-processing  company/ social enterprise in Tanzania. I 'm mostly in touch with Chris Macrae for  social aspects we would like to develop, following Yunus ideas.  But at first we need to be sustainable  (since my partners are working full-time in the farm and there are several children and adolescents ...).  Then we would like to  involve local community slowly,  and perhaps design a project together, or help them to design their projects. We can't think  only to get benefits for us, we enjoy to share and to learn and to  generate income together, with local community.
          > Now we are focused on  pineapple cultivation and we would like to produce in future juice to sell. We are  interested in contacting  other small scale farming enterprises, NGOs, companies  selling low-cost equipments.
          >  I know that there are sites in the Internet about low-cost equipments.
          >    I came across
          > "VITAGOAT  A Non-Electric Food Processing System
          > For Nutrition and Micro-Enterprise Development    http://www.malnutrition.org/vg_intro.htm
          > I would very appreciate to receive your advises and comments and new contacts!
          > All the best!
          > Maria Agnese Giraudo

        • Mark Roest
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 24, 2010
            Hello Maria,

            I suggest you contact two groups,

            Songhai in Benin -- they have four farms in different ecoregions of Benin, and they have been very successful designing and fabricating all kinds of farm machinery; they have a remarkable online catalog of photos and prices, they would probably consider your needs seriously, and they may have already designed what you need, or have something that just needs a minor modification to work for you.

            OneVillage Foundation in Ghana -- www.OneVillageFoundation.org -- Kafui and Godfred Prebbie and their wives own part of a farming cooperative in Juqua.  I don't know what crops they grow, but they may be interested in pineapples, and they run the information and communication technology programs of OVF-Ghana.

            Also check out the million-link cyber bibliography of www.col.org -- Commonwealth Of Learning.

            Regards,

            Mark

            On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Maria Agnese Giraudo <mariaagnesegiraudo@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Peter Burgess
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 25, 2010
              Dear Colleagues

              Yesterday I took part in a meeting in New York bringing together a big part of the Haitian diaspora to set the stage for some initiatives for the long term remaking of the Haitian society and economy. It is too soon to make a judgement call about whether or not this will be a movement of value ... but it has potential. I will stay in touch, and maybe get further involved with the planning and metrics dimensions of what they are doing.

              To a non-Haitian, there are big questions about WHY it is that Haiti has been so poor and WHY it is that the UN Blue Helmets are needed to maintain some semblance of law and order. I sense there are ongoing deep divisions between the various groups and that this has the potential to become a critical factor in the future success or failure of the rebuilding process.

              My take on what should be PLANNED is a distributed improvement in the production capacity of rural Haiti ... and as I read this exchange about farming food and processing, there is a lot in this that could be used in Haiti if the remaking process embraces a people centric community centric approach.

              I have prepared a draft plan ... a very rough first draft based on ideas that I have used in the past in Namibia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia/Ethiopia and so on. Not surprisingly the plan is community centric ... and already about 250 pages without much practical detail. With practical detail, the plan will be well over 1000 pages ... and totally useless. If we web-enable the plan, then it becomes more manageable, and that is what should be done. If I can integrate plan and metrics of progress and have all of this web-based, then there can be something quite powerful.

              The UN and the various "official" relief and development actors will be having a meeting on March 31 in New York. I would like to have a "diaspora" plan that is in play in parallel with the "official" plan. My guess is that the official plan will be something that ignores the potential of the people of Haiti and essentially puts back a "broken" structure while benefiting the establishment players in Haiti, the relief and development industry, and the international players that interface with the Haiti establishment.

              Sincerely
              Peter Burgess
              Community Analytics (CA)

              --