Re: SMS alert system in Haiti/thanks Andrius-Ricardo-Peter

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2010
      Hi Janet, I share your letter with Tiffany Von Emmel and Dreamfish
      because I think she knows many women's groups and might help you network
      with them. I share with Joy Tang of One Village Foundation likewise,
      and I keep Suresh Fernando and Open Kollab posted because of their
      interest in large scale collaborations for the big problems in the
      world. Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms.lt, ms@...

      Janet Feldman wrote:
> [...]
      >
      > Technology has been both incredibly helpful and even life-saving, in other words, but sometimes SMS and other tech tools are only as good as the larger infrastructural setting in which they operate, and sometimes they in themselves are simply not able to address the myriad of other issues that crop up in reporting emergencies and other alerts.
      >
      > The scale of this disaster, and its swiftness, coupled with the already "challenged" state of the infrastructure in Haiti, has made for what will probably be seen as a "mixed bag" in terms of "information" vs "ability to respond effectively".
      >
      > I think it's a miracle that this type of communications system can work at all, and I'm sure it will only improve each time it is used. For example, I think response effectiveness in situations of war and/or civil conflict is much more developed than it was in Kenya--where Ushahidi began--as it has been applied in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and elsewhere.
      >
      > This is the first natural disaster, I believe, so some of the principles and tools are the same from Kenya to Haiti, but modifications can and surely will be made for the next time this technology is used to address natural disasters.
      >
      > There are other such tools and approaches also being used, and in concert with Ushahidi, such as the InSTEDD system. Andrius met some of these folks a couple years ago, and one was at HH for a bit. I tried to engage her in a conversation about MS and InSTEDD working together (around the time of our peace project), but did not get a response.
      >
      > There are plans now to hand over the Ushahidi response system formulated in and for Haiti to Haitians themselves, when the time is right.
      >
      > Each time it is used, I believe, there is a hope both for "localization" and "globalization" of Ushahidi as a tool and concept, by which I mean that the Ushahidi folks envision and plan for "locals" taking over the specific project set up to help address their needs, while at the same time the tool and "idea" of Ushahidi becomes expanded (in the minds of its creators and those who use it) to include more situations, and new or refined means to achieve similar ends.
      >
      > Our own MS-linked "emergency response system"--developed during the peace project in Kenya--has some unique aspects to it, and this could be further developed to provide our own valuable tool to add to the toolchest being developed to address situations of crisis and need.
      >
      > I am going to cycle back to the notes written a month or so ago by Mark, Sherrie, Peter, and others here, and give you some feedback about ways that you and we might be helpful now in Haiti.
      >
      > I look forward to discussing and hopefully collaborating around that, and thanks to everyone for your interest and caring! With all best wishes and blessings, Janet

      >>> 3. /Enters database/
      >>> 4. /Passed to a mechanical turk-type outfit of volunteers for
      >>> structuring/
      >>> 5. /Message is structured in the database/