Re: Public Domain Art in Support of Self-Learning/collaborative arts-health project?/World Community Arts Day

  • ricardoolpc
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2010
      Dear Janet, Andrius and all

      Janet, you mention doing Video-bridges for ActALIVE members. In case it's useful for sending pre-recorded video-clips, to video pen-pals etc, and other medium/large files, this is just to let you know that Ken Owino, Tom Ochuka and I are re-jigging our Sneakernet idea.

      Now that Ken Owino is married, he's living with his wife in Denmark for a while. So, we're taking the opportunity to establish a Sneakernet-link between Denmark (Ken Owino) and Kenya (Tom Ochuka at Deaf Impact, in the town of Ahero). We will shortly be sending Re-writeable DVDs, back and forth, every 2 weeks, to link Denmark and the broadband-connected world to Kenya.

      From Ahero, Tom can send/receive files on flash drive by mail to other towns (Samwel in Mbita, NafsiAfrikaAcrobats in Nairobi, etc).

      This lets anyone send large files, without the time and expense of doing long file-uploads/downloads at cyber cafes or 3G-phone. Downloads often fail and people have to start again.

      Ken Owino can send/receive files by broadband internet from Denmark, allowing other friends in Europe/USA to send/receive files via Ken to/from Kenya.

      Ken is ready to send the first parcel to Tom, with a data-disk and some spare blank DVDs. We hope to get the service tested and up-and-running over the next few months.

      A single DVD can hold 4.7GB of files, and we can send more than one disk. That allows people to be 'wasteful' and send longer videos, etc.

      The idea is that Ken Owino will just forward files to/from people, not accept requests to find files/articles on the internet. His spare-time is limited. Also, it would help if organisations could just send him a single ZIP file, if they have a lot of files to send.

      I'll let you know when we've finished testing, and other people can use this Sneakernet link. It could be useful for sending photos/scans of paintings etc between USA/Europe and Kenya. Tom wants to use it to reach other deaf groups.

      Ricardo