Thank you, Sasha, for My Video Story

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2010
      Sasha Mrkailo, Thank you for your work to collect about 80 "video
      stories" from the Internet.
      http://www.dorfwiki.org/wiki.cgi?VideoBridge/MyVideoStory
      This was very helpful for Franz Nahrada's video communications seminar
      which we're attending here on January 17-28, 2010 in Vienna, Austria.

      Franz provided Minciu Sodas with $100 of his personal money for this
      project and I have sent this all to you. He's very happy with your
      work and we look forward to more such projects. Sasha lives in Serbia
      and is Minciu Sodas's most experienced online assistant.

      I looked over a few dozen of the video bridge stories and notice four
      different kinds of group dynamics:
      * "Expert" One or more experts lecture (or are interviewed) to people
      in one or more locations.
      * "Strangers" Two very different groups of people get to know each other.
      * "Friends" Two groups of people with a similar interest share
      experiences.
      * "Family" Two or more groups come together for an activity (meal,
      fellowship, song, worship, etc.) as one whole.

      Video bridging is not just video communications, but typically group to
      group interaction by which we appreciate each group's dynamics and even
      create a new dynamic for all of us together.

      The different kinds of group dynamics are optimized, cultivated by
      different "patterns" which we're working to identify.

      Recognizing these group dynamics and the patterns they build on allow us
      to consider more complicated dynamics as well. For example, the video
      bridge we do today will involve all four modes, because in some sense we
      are "strangers" (we've never met and we may be quite different), but we
      are "friends" in that we have a shared interest (video bridging), and
      some of us will give short presentations as "experts" and also we look
      forward to working towards a shared community or "family" of video
      bridge builders.

      Join us today (Monday, January 25, 2010) for chat (starting 12:00 New
      York, 17:00 London, 18:00 Vienna, 20:00 Nairobi) and also for Video
      Skype two hours later.

      Sasha, your research gave us the stories, the empirical data that
      allowed us to sketch a theory of video bridge group dynamics and related
      patterns. Thank you! This is very much the kind of research that I
      dream of for Minciu Sodas, WorkNets and our culture of investigation.

      +370 699 30003