Re: [holistichelping] Safaricom-Red Cross Haiti Quake Disaster fund - no such fund in Kenya!!

  • Peter Burgess
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2010
      Dear Colleagues

      Thanks for your concern about the Haiti earthquake ... the event is catastrophic ... the global response encouraging.

      I have been circulating the following to as many of the organizations engaged or planing engagement in the rescue, relief or rebuilding in Haiti. I have been asked by several key people to do what I can to ensure that there is an adequate level of transparency and accountability ... and hopefully something meaningful will be implemented.
      ///////////////////////////////////////////////////
      HAITI EMERGENCY ... TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY

      Dear Colleagues

      One of the great issues with large scale emergency rescue, relief and
      rehabilitation assistance is the question of "where did the money go".
      In the aftermath of the South Asia tsunami it was impossible to
      understand where much of the resources were actually used. As much as
      $2 billion remains unaccounted for ... a huge sum. Some of this is
      lack of feedback ... with good works not put in the record ... but a
      big part is lack of basic accounting and feedback with the funds being
      misappropriated and used for other purposes. Some of this was
      systematic, and by organizations that ought to know better. There have
      been similar experiences post 9/11, post Katrina, post Pakistan
      earthquake, post China earthquake, etc. It is almost a standard
      operating modality!

      The same, or worse, is going to happen in the case of this Haiti
      Earthquake of 2010 ... there are going to be large amounts of money
      mobilized with little or no feedback about what the money is being
      used for ... no transparency ... no accountability. This must not be
      allowed to happen.

      My specialty is community analytics (CA) ... a system to measure
      socio-economic progress and performance. CA incorporates both
      monitoring and evaluation, and transparency and accountability
      (METRAC). CA is based on almost 50 years of  experience with the
      corporate world and consulting for the World Bank, several UN
      agencies, NGOs and others. The CA METRAC methodology is low cost and
      powerful ... and developed to get easy feedback about the money that
      is being raised and the work being done ...  specifically what work
      and where. The system is based on text message technology and the
      mobile phone and relational database organization of data. The data
      acquisition is neutral, independent and verifiable ... and ubiquitous.

      I hope that in this instance of catastrophic disaster it will be
      possible to have 21st century accountability excellence. I am
      contacting the well known relief and development organizations to see
      to what extent they will be implementing something like this or better
      and request cooperation in achieving excellent transparency and
      accountability!

      Peter Burgess
      Tr-Ac-Net Community Analytics
      ___________
      Peter Burgess
      Tr-Ac-Net Inc ... The Transparency and Accountability Network
      Community Analytics (CA)
      Integrated Malaria Management (IMM)
      Microfinance Focus Magazine in New York
      website: www.tr-ac-net.org
      tel: 917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 or 212 744 6469
      email: peterbnyc@...
      skype: peterburgessnyc
      Books: Search Peter Burgess at www.lulu.com
      //////////////////////////////////////////////
      On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:31 AM, Mark Roest <marklroest@...> wrote:

      Dear All,

      Last night Ben de Vries and I attended the Haiti Crisis bar-camp at Microsoft's Mountain View outpost. Google representatives and about 50 other people showed up.

      We soon met a man who is getting together with some other members of the Haitian diaspora to try to organize it; his wife is from Haiti. He is Darwin G. Malloy, President & CEO, AboutScan, an "IT and professional services source," according to his card. His email is darwin@.... He was very receptive to what we told him, including about oneVillage Foundation and ways to use GIS.

      If people have good resources, contacts or ideas, he would be a good person to share them with, as well as the wiki below.

      I eventually found someone who told me that the place where a lot the programming work is being coordinated is www.crisiscommons.org. Ben and I wrote an addition to the wiki telling how to plant millet, sorghum and pigeon pea, to get in an emergency food supply for when the aid runs out. However, someone removed it and I have not yet tracked it down.

      Someone also mentioned swiftriver and ushahidi on the radio today.

      Regards,

      Mark Roest

      On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:08 PM, George Nyongesa <grnyongesa@...> wrote:

      Dear All,

      I am writing to apologize to all of you that the MPESA number (508000) that I earlier circulated has apparently not been set up by Safaricom and Kenya Red Cross.

      I learnt of this number from colleagues with whom we had been discussing the need for we, the so called "3rd world", to be part of global relief effort for the Haiti quake disaster. There was also a KTN prime time news item that indicated this same number as having been set up by Safaricom in conjunction with Kenya Red Cross in order that Kenyans can be involved in the Haiti relief effort. Based on this (mis) information I circulated the number with an appeal message for Haiti quake victims.

      I also subsequently read and confirmed the same number in yesterday's, January 16, 2010 Daily Nation newspaper, page 18. In the newspaper article, Mr Abbas Gullet is reported as endorsing the fund that would assist victims of  Wednesday's quake.

      However, my efforts to send my own contribution to the said number, were frustrated when it kept bouncing back as failed transaction. I called Safaricom customer care service only to learn that they were not aware of the existence of such a number!!!

      Questions that require answers: where did KTN prime and Nation newspaper get that information? The news item in the Nation newspaper stated that the Haiti disaster fund had been set up in conjuction with Kenya Red Cross: that leads me to inquire - are both Safaricom and the Red Cross aware that this kind of (mis) information is out here? What are they doing about it? I informed Safaricom customer care desk and even gave the page number that carried this news item. When shall we see an advertisement from Safaricom, KTN, Nation and Kenya Red Cross clarifying and warning Kenyans against such (mis)information?

      That said, I am apologetic for any inconvenience caused.

      Sincerely,
      George Nyongesa

      Books: Search Peter Burgess at www.lulu.com