Re: [holistichelping] Safaricom-Red Cross Haiti Quake Disaster fund - no such fund in Kenya!!

  • Mark Roest
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2010
      Dear All,

      Last night Ben de Vries and I attended the Haiti Crisis bar-camp at Microsoft's Mountain View outpost. Google representatives and about 50 other people showed up.

      We soon met a man who is getting together with some other members of the Haitian diaspora to try to organize it; his wife is from Haiti. He is Darwin G. Malloy, President & CEO, AboutScan, an "IT and professional services source," according to his card. His email is darwin@.... He was very receptive to what we told him, including about oneVillage Foundation and ways to use GIS.

      If people have good resources, contacts or ideas, he would be a good person to share them with, as well as the wiki below.

      I eventually found someone who told me that the place where a lot the programming work is being coordinated is www.crisiscommons.org. Ben and I wrote an addition to the wiki telling how to plant millet, sorghum and pigeon pea, to get in an emergency food supply for when the aid runs out. However, someone removed it and I have not yet tracked it down.

      Someone also mentioned swiftriver and ushahidi on the radio today.

      Regards,

      Mark Roest

      On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:08 PM, George Nyongesa <grnyongesa@...> wrote:

      Dear All,

      I am writing to apologize to all of you that the MPESA number (508000) that I earlier circulated has apparently not been set up by Safaricom and Kenya Red Cross.

      I learnt of this number from colleagues with whom we had been discussing the need for we, the so called "3rd world", to be part of global relief effort for the Haiti quake disaster. There was also a KTN prime time news item that indicated this same number as having been set up by Safaricom in conjunction with Kenya Red Cross in order that Kenyans can be involved in the Haiti relief effort. Based on this (mis) information I circulated the number with an appeal message for Haiti quake victims.

      I also subsequently read and confirmed the same number in yesterday's, January 16, 2010 Daily Nation newspaper, page 18. In the newspaper article, Mr Abbas Gullet is reported as endorsing the fund that would assist victims of  Wednesday's quake.

      However, my efforts to send my own contribution to the said number, were frustrated when it kept bouncing back as failed transaction. I called Safaricom customer care service only to learn that they were not aware of the existence of such a number!!!

      Questions that require answers: where did KTN prime and Nation newspaper get that information? The news item in the Nation newspaper stated that the Haiti disaster fund had been set up in conjuction with Kenya Red Cross: that leads me to inquire - are both Safaricom and the Red Cross aware that this kind of (mis) information is out here? What are they doing about it? I informed Safaricom customer care desk and even gave the page number that carried this news item. When shall we see an advertisement from Safaricom, KTN, Nation and Kenya Red Cross clarifying and warning Kenyans against such (mis)information?

      That said, I am apologetic for any inconvenience caused.

      Sincerely,
      George Nyongesa

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 18, 2010
        Montreal, Canada is to Haiitians what New York is to Puortoricans.  One Drop Foundation is also involved.  Details at:

        The invitation I received reads:

        Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact us
        Glossary | FAQ | Links | Unsubscribe | Français

        © ONE DROP 2010
        8400 2nd Avenue, Montreal, Quebec H1Z 4M6 Canada

        ONE DROP’s Project Haiti: Water, a source for rebuilding
        As you all know, a powerful earthquake hit the region of Port-au-Prince in Haiti, last Tuesday.
        We are all greatly saddened by this catastrophe.
        As emergency-response experts are combining their efforts and accomplishing colossal work on site, ONE DROP, in cooperation with Oxfam-Québec, is already busy fine-tuning the details of its plan to assist in the reconstruction and rehabilitation efforts that will be taking place during the next few months in Haiti. In May, ONE DROP will set up a project to enable the population of the capital’s neighbouring zones to have access to water. Needless to say, the affected populations’ access to water is already a major issue.
        Concerning all the work to be done during the emergency-response stage, ONE DROP has the utmost confidence in Oxfam-Québec, its main partner for projects in developing countries. Oxfam-Québec has been active in Haiti for many years now and is a member of the Humanitarian Coalition, a network of Canadian non-governmental organizations that have chosen to unite their efforts to respond in the best way possible to humanitarian crises.
        To make a donation, click here. All financial contributions collected will be allocated in full to ONE DROP’s Project Haiti, until further notice. Please take concrete action with ONE DROP to ensure a promising future to the people afflicted by this catastrophe.
        ONE DROP sincerely thanks you in advance for your show of solidarity.

        You received this e-mail because you registered
        to the ONE DROP newsletter through www.onedrop.org.

[...]

        It is so heartening that people and groups the world over are coming together in this situation. That is what gives hope for the future, and can make a difference in the present time. Thanks again and I'll be back soon with more!  Blessings and very best wishes, Janet (Feldman, kaippg@earthlink. net)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 18, 2010
          Dear Colleagues

          Thanks for your concern about the Haiti earthquake ... the event is catastrophic ... the global response encouraging.

          I have been circulating the following to as many of the organizations engaged or planing engagement in the rescue, relief or rebuilding in Haiti. I have been asked by several key people to do what I can to ensure that there is an adequate level of transparency and accountability ... and hopefully something meaningful will be implemented.
          ///////////////////////////////////////////////////
          HAITI EMERGENCY ... TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY

          Dear Colleagues

          One of the great issues with large scale emergency rescue, relief and
          rehabilitation assistance is the question of "where did the money go".
          In the aftermath of the South Asia tsunami it was impossible to
          understand where much of the resources were actually used. As much as
          $2 billion remains unaccounted for ... a huge sum. Some of this is
          lack of feedback ... with good works not put in the record ... but a
          big part is lack of basic accounting and feedback with the funds being
          misappropriated and used for other purposes. Some of this was
          systematic, and by organizations that ought to know better. There have
          been similar experiences post 9/11, post Katrina, post Pakistan
          earthquake, post China earthquake, etc. It is almost a standard
          operating modality!

          The same, or worse, is going to happen in the case of this Haiti
          Earthquake of 2010 ... there are going to be large amounts of money
          mobilized with little or no feedback about what the money is being
          used for ... no transparency ... no accountability. This must not be
          allowed to happen.

          My specialty is community analytics (CA) ... a system to measure
          socio-economic progress and performance. CA incorporates both
          monitoring and evaluation, and transparency and accountability
          (METRAC). CA is based on almost 50 years of  experience with the
          corporate world and consulting for the World Bank, several UN
          agencies, NGOs and others. The CA METRAC methodology is low cost and
          powerful ... and developed to get easy feedback about the money that
          is being raised and the work being done ...  specifically what work
          and where. The system is based on text message technology and the
          mobile phone and relational database organization of data. The data
          acquisition is neutral, independent and verifiable ... and ubiquitous.

          I hope that in this instance of catastrophic disaster it will be
          possible to have 21st century accountability excellence. I am
          contacting the well known relief and development organizations to see
          to what extent they will be implementing something like this or better
          and request cooperation in achieving excellent transparency and
          accountability!

          Peter Burgess
          Tr-Ac-Net Community Analytics
          ___________
          Peter Burgess
          Tr-Ac-Net Inc ... The Transparency and Accountability Network
          Community Analytics (CA)
          Integrated Malaria Management (IMM)
          Microfinance Focus Magazine in New York
          website: www.tr-ac-net.org
          tel: 917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 or 212 744 6469
          email: peterbnyc@...
          skype: peterburgessnyc

          Books: Search Peter Burgess at www.lulu.com