Re: [Kptj-communications] What you can do about the Haiti Quake disaster/Ushahidi (Ory)

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2010

      Dear George and All,

      Immense thanks for your concern and caring! I have been doing networking and have access to a good amount of info hourly and daily coming from Haiti, as that is a country to which I have close personal links. What is needed most of all are donations, of any size. As one doctor said:  "even $5 can be of enormous help."

      A number of donations possibilities exist, including using a cellphone to dial a 5-digit number, thus generating a contribution that is charged to your cellphone bill. I think the American Red Cross, Wyclef Jean's Yele Haiti nonprofit, the Clinton Foundation, and others are all getting involved in this easy form of donation.

      I can try to gather this info (the 5-digit numbers) and post it. People can also check in with their own branch of international orgs like CARE and UNICEF, to see if you in Kenya, for example, could donate to relief in Haiti.

      I'm sure the Ushahidi Haiti site, which Ory Okolloh (Ushahidi founder) has just posted about, has a lot of this information. I'm so hoping that we can somehow, in the longer term, combine our efforts so that we can mount coordinated responses in crisis situations.

      Ushahidi will have some invaluable experience in a different hemisphere, and related to a natural disaster, as a result of their work in Haiti. George, Muthoni, myself, Fahamu founders and staff, Minciu Sodas, and many others will have something valuable to add from our own work in peace-and-conflict related situations.

      To be able to channel global support into a local situation could help to save lives and bring relief, and there are so many people around the world who want to help, but don't know how. This is the wave of the future: people taking care of each other, helping to be responsible for one another, no matter where we live, who we are, or how we identify.

      It is so heartening that people and groups the world over are coming together in this situation. That is what gives hope for the future, and can make a difference in the present time. Thanks again and I'll be back soon with more!  Blessings and very best wishes, Janet (Feldman, kaippg@...)

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 17, 2010
        Dear All,

        I am writing to apologize to all of you that the MPESA number (508000) that I earlier circulated has apparently not been set up by Safaricom and Kenya Red Cross.

        I learnt of this number from colleagues with whom we had been discussing the need for we, the so called "3rd world", to be part of global relief effort for the Haiti quake disaster. There was also a KTN prime time news item that indicated this same number as having been set up by Safaricom in conjunction with Kenya Red Cross in order that Kenyans can be involved in the Haiti relief effort. Based on this (mis) information I circulated the number with an appeal message for Haiti quake victims.

        I also subsequently read and confirmed the same number in yesterday's, January 16, 2010 Daily Nation newspaper, page 18. In the newspaper article, Mr Abbas Gullet is reported as endorsing the fund that would assist victims of  Wednesday's quake.

        However, my efforts to send my own contribution to the said number, were frustrated when it kept bouncing back as failed transaction. I called Safaricom customer care service only to learn that they were not aware of the existence of such a number!!!

        Questions that require answers: where did KTN prime and Nation newspaper get that information? The news item in the Nation newspaper stated that the Haiti disaster fund had been set up in conjuction with Kenya Red Cross: that leads me to inquire - are both Safaricom and the Red Cross aware that this kind of (mis) information is out here? What are they doing about it? I informed Safaricom customer care desk and even gave the page number that carried this news item. When shall we see an advertisement from Safaricom, KTN, Nation and Kenya Red Cross clarifying and warning Kenyans against such (mis)information?

        That said, I am apologetic for any inconvenience caused.

        Sincerely,
        George Nyongesa

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 17, 2010

          Dear George and All,

          Hello and immense thanks for your dedication and caring! It's good to know this info, and I hope there will yet be a fund set up, as I think the cellphone donation numbers I have for orgs like CARE, American Red Cross, and Clinton-Bush Haiti Fund will not work in Kenya.

          I will post a list of websites that anyone can access to make a donation tomorrow. Please keep us informed if things change from your end, and one way or the other, all of the goodwill and love expressed towards the Haitian people will be translated into the help they need for relief and reconstruction.

          With greatest blessings and "bon courage", Janet

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 17, 2010
            Dear All,

            Last night Ben de Vries and I attended the Haiti Crisis bar-camp at Microsoft's Mountain View outpost. Google representatives and about 50 other people showed up.

            We soon met a man who is getting together with some other members of the Haitian diaspora to try to organize it; his wife is from Haiti. He is Darwin G. Malloy, President & CEO, AboutScan, an "IT and professional services source," according to his card. His email is darwin@.... He was very receptive to what we told him, including about oneVillage Foundation and ways to use GIS.

            If people have good resources, contacts or ideas, he would be a good person to share them with, as well as the wiki below.

            I eventually found someone who told me that the place where a lot the programming work is being coordinated is www.crisiscommons.org. Ben and I wrote an addition to the wiki telling how to plant millet, sorghum and pigeon pea, to get in an emergency food supply for when the aid runs out. However, someone removed it and I have not yet tracked it down.

            Someone also mentioned swiftriver and ushahidi on the radio today.

            Regards,

            Mark Roest

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 18, 2010
              Montreal, Canada is to Haiitians what New York is to Puortoricans.  One Drop Foundation is also involved.  Details at:

              The invitation I received reads:

              Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact us
              Glossary | FAQ | Links | Unsubscribe | Français

              © ONE DROP 2010
              8400 2nd Avenue, Montreal, Quebec H1Z 4M6 Canada

              ONE DROP’s Project Haiti: Water, a source for rebuilding
              As you all know, a powerful earthquake hit the region of Port-au-Prince in Haiti, last Tuesday.
              We are all greatly saddened by this catastrophe.
              As emergency-response experts are combining their efforts and accomplishing colossal work on site, ONE DROP, in cooperation with Oxfam-Québec, is already busy fine-tuning the details of its plan to assist in the reconstruction and rehabilitation efforts that will be taking place during the next few months in Haiti. In May, ONE DROP will set up a project to enable the population of the capital’s neighbouring zones to have access to water. Needless to say, the affected populations’ access to water is already a major issue.
              Concerning all the work to be done during the emergency-response stage, ONE DROP has the utmost confidence in Oxfam-Québec, its main partner for projects in developing countries. Oxfam-Québec has been active in Haiti for many years now and is a member of the Humanitarian Coalition, a network of Canadian non-governmental organizations that have chosen to unite their efforts to respond in the best way possible to humanitarian crises.
              To make a donation, click here. All financial contributions collected will be allocated in full to ONE DROP’s Project Haiti, until further notice. Please take concrete action with ONE DROP to ensure a promising future to the people afflicted by this catastrophe.
              ONE DROP sincerely thanks you in advance for your show of solidarity.

              You received this e-mail because you registered
              to the ONE DROP newsletter through www.onedrop.org.

[...]

              It is so heartening that people and groups the world over are coming together in this situation. That is what gives hope for the future, and can make a difference in the present time. Thanks again and I'll be back soon with more!  Blessings and very best wishes, Janet (Feldman, kaippg@earthlink. net)

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 18, 2010
                Dear Colleagues

                Thanks for your concern about the Haiti earthquake ... the event is catastrophic ... the global response encouraging.

                I have been circulating the following to as many of the organizations engaged or planing engagement in the rescue, relief or rebuilding in Haiti. I have been asked by several key people to do what I can to ensure that there is an adequate level of transparency and accountability ... and hopefully something meaningful will be implemented.
                ///////////////////////////////////////////////////
                HAITI EMERGENCY ... TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY

                Dear Colleagues

                One of the great issues with large scale emergency rescue, relief and
                rehabilitation assistance is the question of "where did the money go".
                In the aftermath of the South Asia tsunami it was impossible to
                understand where much of the resources were actually used. As much as
                $2 billion remains unaccounted for ... a huge sum. Some of this is
                lack of feedback ... with good works not put in the record ... but a
                big part is lack of basic accounting and feedback with the funds being
                misappropriated and used for other purposes. Some of this was
                systematic, and by organizations that ought to know better. There have
                been similar experiences post 9/11, post Katrina, post Pakistan
                earthquake, post China earthquake, etc. It is almost a standard
                operating modality!

                The same, or worse, is going to happen in the case of this Haiti
                Earthquake of 2010 ... there are going to be large amounts of money
                mobilized with little or no feedback about what the money is being
                used for ... no transparency ... no accountability. This must not be
                allowed to happen.

                My specialty is community analytics (CA) ... a system to measure
                socio-economic progress and performance. CA incorporates both
                monitoring and evaluation, and transparency and accountability
                (METRAC). CA is based on almost 50 years of  experience with the
                corporate world and consulting for the World Bank, several UN
                agencies, NGOs and others. The CA METRAC methodology is low cost and
                powerful ... and developed to get easy feedback about the money that
                is being raised and the work being done ...  specifically what work
                and where. The system is based on text message technology and the
                mobile phone and relational database organization of data. The data
                acquisition is neutral, independent and verifiable ... and ubiquitous.

                I hope that in this instance of catastrophic disaster it will be
                possible to have 21st century accountability excellence. I am
                contacting the well known relief and development organizations to see
                to what extent they will be implementing something like this or better
                and request cooperation in achieving excellent transparency and
                accountability!

                Peter Burgess
                Tr-Ac-Net Community Analytics
                ___________
                Peter Burgess
                Tr-Ac-Net Inc ... The Transparency and Accountability Network
                Community Analytics (CA)
                Integrated Malaria Management (IMM)
                Microfinance Focus Magazine in New York
                website: www.tr-ac-net.org
                tel: 917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 or 212 744 6469
                email: peterbnyc@...
                skype: peterburgessnyc

                Books: Search Peter Burgess at www.lulu.com