Breaking news update: Demonstrators re-arrested held at Central Police Station

  • George Nyongesa
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2009

      Dear Kenyans and friends of Kenya,

      We have been re-arrested and are currently being held at Central Police Station. It is not clear whether we will be granted bail although concerted efforts are being made to secure our release. Amongst us are elderly women as old as 65, 63 and 55 whom the police have refused to release even on cash bail.

      Earlier this evening, the judge at Kibera Law Courts dismissed the case against us since the charges were found to be defective. Despite our having served due notice to the police of the intended demonstration today, we were arrested earlier today and after being held for a while at Central Police Station were produced at Kibera Law Courts and charged for an alleged unlawful assembly. At the courts, we were kept waiting until late this evening when the judge heard the case and dismissed it when the charges were found wanting. We were immediately re-arrested and continue to be held at Central Police Station.

      The demonstration today was organised by concerned Kenyans who are representative of strong public discontent over the blatant and rampant culture of impunity that is manifest in the misappropriation of funds meant for free primary education and in the plan to spend billions of taxpayers money to compensate persons who should not even in the first place have owned land in the Mau Forest.

      We appeal for your support in keeping these issues in the headlines. Let the voice of the grassroot Kenyans not be silenced by the perpetrators of impunity and their terror machinery. We refuse to be intimidated by these scare tactics and remain committed to fighting for Kenyans and all our children.

      In solidarity,
      George Nyongesa

      From: Bunge la Mwananchi <mwananchibunge@...>
      Subject: Breaking news: Demonstrators against misappropriated education funds and Mau compensation plans arrested
      To: "George NYONGESA" <grnyongesa@...>
      Date: Thursday, December 24, 2009, 10:09 AM

      BREAKING NEWS!!!

      Bunge la Mwananchi's George Nyongesa, Okiya Omtatah and 30 others, mostly women, have just been arrested and taken to Central Police Station a few moments ago.

      They were part of a demonstration organised today to protest the misappropriation of free primary education funds and protest against the planned compensation of people who own large tracts of land in the Mau Forest. The demonstators had duly notified the police of the planned demonstration which was to culminate in serving a petition from grassroot wananchi on the President and the Prime Minister expressing strong public sentiment on these two pertinent issues. The group was demanding the resignation of the Education Minister and the Permanent Secretary and protesting the planned spending of public funds towards compensating individuals who are holding land in the Mau Forest.

      We will continue to keep you updated. However, we encourage you to join us in protesting against the culture of impunity in Kenya. Do come to the Central Police Station and support us in making the voice of the grassroot Kenyan heard on these important national issues.

      Bunge la Mwananchi Secretariat