Social safety net and free enterprise

  • Benoit Couture
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2009
      Salut Janet, Andrius and all,

      I have been receiving the news letter from a social service advocacy group from Alberta called Albertans who care.
      I wrote them the following this morning:

      SMALL PART OF THE STORY

      Salut!  I'm the father of 4, who are now adults.
      Our daughter, third child and 24, is part of Persons with Developmental Disabilities (PDD)
      Like each of us, much of her developmental abilities and/or disabilities are "context induced and maintained".
      Governments and agencies must learn to adapt their services to the family of the individuals in need, and to implement the removal of all decisional separations between the client, the family and the Government-agency's closets.
      At present, such partnership is systematically avoided, maintaining the jobs and security of the care givers and of the "system", but not addressing primary context of the family unit.
      Our experience has shown us that as long as the government and the agencies go on dancing together at the expense of the needs, then the word "service" will remain in fact, the exploitation of the disabilities and needs instead of the long term care needed to make the most out of the need's context from the start of their life.
      This observation is true for our entire social safety net, all the way to the correctional system.
      The BC Supreme Court understood that, when they awarded to a dad who stays at home to care for his daughter, the release of his financial support by the Province and the payment of his 9 previous years of staying at home for his daughter's care.
      Let Alberta do the same, but first, let the Governments, agencies and families sit together to design the partnership and its terms of engagement for the short, medium and long term strategy, in renewing OUR safety net.
      Much of the safety net is needed for the sake of building the road from self-destruction to self-control and community self-government.
      Such renewal of our safety net can grow by cultivating the incentive to move people from patient to client to partner.
      Such is the task and the challenge for the champions and the authorities of free enterprise!

      Benoit Couture
      Edmonton, Alberta, Canada