Re: [holistichelping] December 3rd is First Thursday/Zoneziwoh (and all)

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2009
      Dear Zoneziwoh and All,
      Hello and this is an excellent idea! I know some of our members are involved in the
      16 Days Campaign, and/or addressing violence against women.

      With the Blogging Positively e-Guide, we have envisioned it as hopefully being
      useful in conflict situations, or any kind of crisis. Usually, most of us think
      of that as being a conflict between or within countries, but women experience
      violence so often in their own homes, where conflict can be as deadly as on
      the battlefield.

      I would love it if the Guide could be helpful in this situation. Domestic violence
      and HIV/AIDS are directly linked in any case, and to find ways to reduce one will
      surely help to reduce the other.

      It has been found that, if a woman has an income--though that in itself can cause
      some male partners to be upset and react violently, at least at first--that does
      reduce both the violence and the chance of HIV infection. So this is food for
      thought about what ICTs might do, and what we here in these forums might do, to
      address that.

      I look forward so much to chatting on TH, and very sorry not to be able to merge
      with Pam's chat, but hope you can attend, Pam--and all!--and that we can find ways
      to work together on these subjects.

      With greatest thanks and blessings, Janet

      ps Zoneziwoh, I have never forgotten abt the interview, and my big apologies for
      not yet getting to that. My life and time right now are taken up with "urgencies",
      for the most part, hence the delay. But I will try to answer your questions, if
      still interested, before the end of 2009!

      From: Pamela McLean <pam54321@...>
      To: "Andrius Kulikauskas" <ms@...>
      Cc: "Janet Feldman" <kaippg@...>, "help group" <holistichelping@yahoogroups.com>, "learningfromeachother" <learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com>, mendenyo@yahoogroups.com, learnhowtolearn@yahoogroups.com, actalive@yahoogroups.com, earthtreasury@yahoogroups.com

      Invitation to join us online
      Next Thursday - December 3rd is First Thursday of the month again. So it's time for my usual invitation to you to join me in the chat room, and my usual thanks to Andrius for making it possible. All being well I will be around for an hour as usual starting - 13.00 Nigerian time, 15,00 Kenyan time, 12.00 GMT.

      I have no particular agenda this month other than the chance to catch up with people and explore current news,interests, ideas etc and generally rub minds in real time with anyone who feels like dropping by. I look forward to an hour of either being unfocussed and swapping news - or being focussed and helping anyone with a particular concern to share it.

      To enter the chat room go to http://www.worknets .org/chat/ base/
      Any problems or uncertainties about using the chat room please let me know. Obviously the people who arrive know how to get there - but there may be other people who need more help to find their way in. Please give feedback directly to me or via LearningFromEachOth er if there are ever any difficulties getting in so we can sort them for next time (or maybe immediately) . We do not want anyone to be left outside the chatroom. Dadamac Day update
      Since last First Thursday we have also been in the chat room for Dadamac Day - which we ran as a fringe event at BarCampAfrica. I have written about how that went in my Dadamac blog http://www.dadamac net/blog/ 20091109/ dadamac-day- barcamp-africa- and-nigeria.

      Photos
      There are some BarCampAfrica photos on Flickr taken by Andy Broomfield http://www.flickr com/photos/ andybroomfield/ sets/72157622660 100899/ . The ones taken during the Dadamac Day online time are numbers 2,6,7,8,12-15 and 18-24. (For anyone trying to pick me out, I am the woman with white hair and a dark pink top.)

      Explanation to Andrius
      I feel I should explain to Andrius why I am not very active at present online for discussions and sharing ideas and dreams. I think it is mainly because I am thinking hard about how various things fit together, and I am experimenting in practical ways. Also, as I now mix with more people face to face who have overlapping interests, I can explore more ideas verbally (which is quicker then writing as a way to 'think aloud"). This means I don't need to write ideas down as much as I used to in order to explore them.

      My ongoing experiments about "ICT and its role in new ways of collaborating and learning" are currently focussed on the gradually evolving structure and "identity" of Dadamac and my understanding of how I want its online presence at Dadamac.net to evolve (this is becoming visible - but is also very much in a state of early development - it feels a bit as if I am putting up some place holders around on the site to get a feel of where I will want things to go - rather than putting the real things there at present). I can see in my minds eye how things (including my perceptions) are changing shape. I don't want to write about them until I have something more visible online.

      Another online meeting
      Please note another online meeting Blogging Positively chat: Dec 3, 11am EST (4pm UK and Nigeria-5pm, Lithuania-6pm, Kenya-Uganda 7pm). More details below - see original thread for full details.

      Janet and Andrius - I am usually working with someone else at that time, but if I am free, I will try to come back to the chat room. Janet - I'm sorry our usual meeting time is too early to easily fit your schedule.

      Pam

      Re: Blogging Positively chat: Dec 3, 11am EST (4pm UK and Nigeria-5pm, Lithuania-6pm, Kenya-Uganda 7pm)

      2009/11/26 Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...>

      Janet, Yes! I look forward to joining you and all for the "blogging postively" chat at http://www.worknets .org/chat/ on Dec 3, 11 am EST, which is 4pm UK and Nigeria-5pm, Lithuania-6pm, Kenya-Uganda 7pm and double check at http://www.timeandd ate.com/worldclo ck/ I look forward also to dreaming with ActAlive. Let's crank up the networking engines! Andrius Kulikauskas

      Janet Feldman wrote:

      Hello Dear Andrius and All,

      Thanks so much for your enthusiastic reply, and I love the idea of collecting people's dreams, both as a general activity, and also with specific reference to people living with HIV/AIDS.

      (snip)

      I will be eager to make use of the chatroom for ongoing conversations on the BP project, and would be equally delighted to do some ActALIVE-focused chats. We could have chats on the ideas we've been sharing related to dreams!
      (snip)

      Janet