Re: Blogging Positively: Possible Chat Next Week...Can We Use Worknets?

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 24, 2009
      Hi Janet! Great to hear from you!

      December 3 is Pamela's "First Thursday" and she has a chat on that day,
      typically at 12.00 noon London time, 13.00 Nigerian time, 15.00 Kenyan
      time and usually for one hour. She might be interested to merge hers
      with yours. Or perhaps one chat might lead into the other. Otherwise,
      you're free to choose a time. Thank you for using our chat room, it's a
      great help towards building momentum for an all-purpose "help room".

      I share our letters with Pamela's group Learning From Each Other and
      your group Holistic Helping so we might plan. Ricardo, Josephat,
      Zoneziwoh and I and others are interested in helping make available the
      Blogging Positively Guide in "ebooks" in local languages. Do you have
      the text and pictures in Microsoft Word or similar format so they can be
      easily copied and pasted into a different format (it can be hard to
      strip them from a PDF file)?

      I'm looking for work for me and our lab. (Thank you for helping!) I
      seem to be having the most success with art. In December, I will be
      focusing on an unpaid art exhibit "May I dream?" at the Gedimino 9
      shopping center in Vilnius, Lithuania on the fourth floor where there is
      a co-working hub. The exhibit is part of UNESCO's human right month
      activities. The space is great as there are more than 100 meters of
      glass rails that can be viewed from lower floors as well, see:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50525222@N00/
      And you can also see some sketches that I've made of my own dreams. I
      will be collecting our dreams, helping us express them creatively and
      integrating them.

      I invite us all to dream, to write down our dreams-in-life (our goals,
      wishes, aspirations) and express them in various forms. I will gladly
      include them in this exhibit if they are in the Public Domain for all to
      share and build on. This is important for our "economy of dreams" so
      that we can understand each other and help each other profoundly without
      always relying on money. This might also be a topic for "blogging
      positively" because we can collect dreams from people around the world,
      including those living with HIV/AIDS, and that's very relevant for human
      rights month.

      +370 699 30003

      Janet Feldman wrote:
      > Hello Dear Andrius,
      >
      > Thanks so much for all of your wonderful work and postings, as usual,
      > and please know that I am trying to follow as much as I can of the
      > forum activities (HH and others). I'm hoping to be more present during
      > the winter and spring, before all of the outdoor work starts again
      > (and even then, there should not be as much to do as this year).
      >
      > I and we at RV-GV are trying to pull together some WAD activities,
      > including a chat, and I was thinking abt Dec 3 as a possible time, or
      > perhaps the 2nd or 4th as alternatives. I think most people will be
      > busy for Dec 1 itself. One of the main topics would be the Blogging
      > Positively Guide.
      >
      > I mentioned to Solana and David something abt the "translation"
      > project that you, Ricardo, and others are doing, and thought that
      > might be a possible discussion topic, ie asking people what formats
      > would be useful for the Guide, and having you and others give feedback
      > on that. Would that interest you?
      >
      > Would the Worknets chat space be available then? I hope so!
      >
      > I'll close for now with greatest thanks and appreciation, and look
      > forward to hearing from you! Love and blessings, Janet
      >
      > ps I wrote to you privately because I'd like to save a public posting
      > for when we have concrete details for the chat and other events.

    • Sasha
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 25, 2009
        Just a quick note. Please do not use microsoft word. There is no need to use such software since there are free and open applications which can be used instead. Like open office for example.

        Sasha

        --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > including a chat, and I was thinking abt Dec 3 as a possible time, or
        > > perhaps the 2nd or 4th as alternatives. I think most people will be
        > > busy for Dec 1 itself. One of the main topics would be the Blogging
        > > Positively Guide.
        > >
        > > I mentioned to Solana and David something abt the "translation"
        > > project that you, Ricardo, and others are doing, and thought that
        > > might be a possible discussion topic, ie asking people what formats
        > > would be useful for the Guide, and having you and others give feedback
        > > on that. Would that interest you?
        > >
        > > Would the Worknets chat space be available then? I hope so!
        > >
        > > I'll close for now with greatest thanks and appreciation, and look
        > > forward to hearing from you! Love and blessings, Janet
        > >
        > > ps I wrote to you privately because I'd like to save a public posting
        > > for when we have concrete details for the chat and other events.

      • Mark Roest
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 28, 2009
          Hello Andrius and Janet, and Ed!

          The Blogging Positively sounds like a good topic for the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) movement, also. There might be a bit of mutual support developing between your groups and theirs if you collaborate with Ed Cherlin on the translation angle. Ed is both an evangelist for OLPC and an organizer of people creating empowering digital curricula, in Sugar (the user interface for OLPC). He got started with OLPC by organizing the information about all the efforts to translate Sugar, on the OLPC wiki. Ed is also a professional documentation expert, for hardware and software, and much more besides.

          It seems possible that people on both networks could share and translate each others' creations, so that twice as much content was created and distributed multi-lingually, or at least that which is created or selected is translated into more languages than either group represents alone.

          Regards,

          Mark Roest