Chat about Beekeeping, Dadamac, Minciu Sodas

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2009
      Pam,

      I look forward to chatting with you and all at
      http://www.worknets.org/chat/ on Thursday, November 5, 13.00 Nigerian
      time, 15,00 Kenyan time, 12.00 GMT, London time. (There's also a chat
      on Saturday, too).

      Yes, there's great ways how the same content could appear both at our
      Worknets wiki and at the Dadamac website. One example of how we do this
      is that http://www.pyramidofpeace.net is edited at:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?PyramidOfPeaceTimeline
      It would be great if we might think of Dadamac as a brand for certain
      recommended knowledge and activities (like beekeeping) and experts (like
      Sasha).

      Franz mentioned Perl which is the programming language that ProWiki is
      written in. (He misspelled it "pearl" though).

      -----------------------------------

      Hi Andrius, Sasha and Franz

      I am looking at how we bring various things together.

      * Beekeeping has come up at recent First Thursdays
      * Sasha is one of the people interested in it
      * Dadamac was working on Beekeeping last year related to Attachab -
      fact finding and planning - but no money to move things forward to
      pay trainer etc
      * Marcus Simmons knows Attachab
      * Marcus Simmons is in Nigeria again now - his visit will help
      various things to move on.
      * We are trying to make Dadamac activities more visible via
      Dadamac.net (long slow job)
      * If the Dadamac beekeeping group restarts we will try to make
      updates available via Dadamac.net
      * Sasha has already collected up great information related to
      Beekeeing on the worknets wiki
      * We need to consider best way to make connections between his
      existing info and info relevant to the Dadamac beekeeping group,
      adn new info we will generate.
      * We do not want to duplicate effort
      * Dadamac and Minciu Sodas have a lot in common - we want to find
      the right working relationship so we complement each other and
      benefit from each others strengths.
      * Franz wrote recently on global villages ref pro-wiki and its great
      features
      * I'm expecting that soon www.dadamac.net <http://www.dadamac.net>
      will start to generate some collections of info that will be in
      the public domain
      * Such collections, as they grow, may well need organising in a wiki
      kind of way
      * We used a wiki when we did out first Teachers Talking work -
      unfortunately not under our control and removed without and
      warning - all info lost.
      * The wiki was a good place to put info - but - had we continued to
      develop it we would have wanted to develop some additional features.
      * Later we did some experiments with Moodle - and that influenced my
      thinking on how I will ultimately want to manipulate info that
      gets generated through Dadamac - but that is for another more
      detailed discussion later
      * If we get the right connection between Sasha's beekeeping wiki
      info and Dadamac group then I hope we will work in a similar close
      way ref info for other dadamac groups

      I hope we can explore this through LFEO and First Thursday

      Pam

      --------------------------

      Hi Andrius and Everyone

      Next Thursday - November 5th is first Thursday of the month again. So
      it's time for my usual invitation to you to join me in the chat room,
      and my usual thanks to Andrius for making it possible. All being well I
      will be around for an hour as usual starting - 13.00 Nigerian time,
      15,00 Kenyan time, 12.00 GMT

      Please remember too that Saturday Nov 7th we will be back in the
      chatroom for the annual Teachers Talking - self-directed Learners -
      Dadamac celebration of how the Internet helps us to work together and
      learn. 10.00 GMT. 11.00 Nigerian time. 13.00 East African Time. I hope
      there will be some newcomers joining us from the UK as we will be at an
      event called BarCampAfrica. More details here
      http://www.dadamac.net/node/80

      There were many topics raised at the October First Thursday, and as a
      result none of them were covered in sufficient depth. This list of the
      topics is written from memory several weeks later so is probably
      incomplete - but the discussion included:

      * Attracting expert volunteers
      * Beekeeping
      * Biochar
      * Fishfarming
      * Solar
      * Technical problems related to computers, phones and going online
      * Tourism
      * Water carts

      Perhaps at the November meeting we can use that list as the starting
      point for an agenda, and deal with each item in turn. We can also try to
      include Any Other Business, where people can mention new topics. If you
      can let me have your thoughts on this before First Thursday that would
      help us to arrange things in a way that suits most people.

      To enter the chat room go to http://www.worknets .org/chat/ base/
      <http://www.worknets.org/chat/base/>

      Any problems or uncertainties about using the chat room please let me
      know. Obviously the people who arrive know how to get there - but there
      may be other people who need more help to find their way in. Please give
      feedback here if there are any difficulties. We do not want anyone to be
      left outside.

      Pam