US MENA funding unavailable for Palestine activities/Knight News Challenge

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2009
      Dear Andrius, Wael, Solana, and All,

      My apologies for continuing to be offline more than anticipated, and I will be remembering to network Wael and Cameron soon. Wael, thanks too for your eloquent and important letters! And Solana, thanks so much for your feedback to Andrius abt Knight...very helpful (you're a desk unto yourself :))!

      I'm so sorry about this funding, but I hope you will apply for Knight funds, with the specific geographic location of Palestine-Israel. In fact, you might want to consider Palestine on its own, though I know there are intricate linkages between the two that do need to be addressed by some programs and projects.

      If you were to focus on what news would be important for Palestinians to have locally (ie in a citizen-media initiative to focus on news Palestinians might need), and then also what an international group could do to provide contacts, networking, "answers" (to development questions et al) in a "help-desk" kind of way, that might provide some invaluable assistance. Wael's development ideas--being "local" in nature though applicable globally--could be one focus for such help and activities.

      I think there are other grants or funding that might perhaps be obtained: the US Institute of Peace has grants, one a priority competition (I include this because of a focus on Afghanistan as one priority country, Andrius) and the other a general competition, which helps to fund projects like this one below. See urls under that for more info. The deadline is in 2010, however, since all of their 2009 grants have been given.

      Title: Educating for Peace in Palestinian Schools
      Subject: Regional Conflict-Middle East
      Applicant: Holy Land Trust
      City: Bethlehem, State: Palestine
      Project Director: Sami Awad
      Grant Number: USIP-011-07F Amount: $ 39,235 FY: 2008
      Start Date: 06/01/2008 End Date: 06/30/2009
      Description: This project will be launched as a model project in five marginalized schools for a 12 month period. Holy Land Trust will compile a training manual that will be used to train 100 teachers (20 teachers per school) during the summer vacation. Throughout the following school year, the training team members will support the teachers by co-teaching and providing supervision. Project staff will present the results of the pilot program to the Minister of Education for replication in other marginalized schools in the West Bank.

      http://www.usip.org/grants-fellowships/priority-grant-competition
      http://www.usip.org/grants-fellowships/annual-grant-competition

      You could also try ANERA (American Near East Refugee Aid). I do not see "grants" listed specifically, but introductions and networking could surely be done, and perhaps some form of partnership might result. See http://www.anera.org

      Hopefully via searches and mailings, as well as word-of-mouth, we will come up with other opportunities. This is such a crucial area of the world, with important peace and humanitarian issues to address, that surely there is some funding available!

      With all best wishes and blessings, Janet

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2009
        Janet,

        Thank you for your encouragement which I share also and alert Wael Al
        Saad. For the Knight News Challenge I'm thinking I should focus on
        Lithuania because I live here. http://www.helproom.org/proposal/

        Janet, When you can, please think for us, what is your long-term dream
        for your life? That's very helpful to know for our "economy of dreams"
        http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Dreams