US MENA funding unavailable for Palestine activities

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2009
      I was writing a proposal for the US funding opportunity "New Empowerment
      Communication Technologies: Opportunities in the Middle East and North
      Africa". I was hoping to organize a global help room based in
      Israeli-occupied Palestine, specifically, the West Bank. I had a
      successful stay there in 2006. We have good connections with remarkable
      people like Jafra-Wael Al Saad, Awne Abuzont, Alaa Youssef. I believe
      there's a real need and opportunity for Palestinians to look beyond
      their own country and excel at giving help to others and not simply feel
      helpless. I imagine that Palestinian aspirations are a key to the
      Middle East and to any "economy of dreams".

      I learned today that the West Bank and Gaza are not eligible for funding
      http://mepi.state.gov/opportunities/130864.htm
      "While applicants are welcome to propose projects or activities in the
      West Bank and Gaza, funding is currently unavailable to support such
      projects or activities."
      This was clarified on October 20, just three days before the deadline!
      At least it's made public.

      I confess that I thought this was an important opportunity with generous
      funding that might have helped me personally. I am sympathetic to the
      need and opportunity in Palestine, but this opportunity depressed me in
      a deep way. I would like to organize a "culture of independent
      thinkers" and an "economy of dreams" that addresses individuals' dreams
      in simple ways. I'm not attracted to heroic efforts in desperate
      circumstances. I'd like to work from Lithuania if I can.

      Palestinians and Israelis suffer hardships. I think that it's
      unfortunate that those who invest themselves to get interested and make
      an effort to help, as I have in both Palestine and Israel, are left out
      from even the most supportive opportunity.

      I think it's important to be supportive of "independent thinkers" that
      we know in Palestine and Israel. I know an entrepreneur in Palestine
      for whom I might write a smaller proposal. I encourage us to organize
      around Jafra Wael Al Saad, he's at Social Agriculture
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/socialagriculture/ and elsewhere. He's in
      Jenin, Palestine, organizing local groups for a sustainable economy.
      globalpalestine AT googlemail.com

      Thank you to Janet Feldman for alerting us to this opportunity, which
      otherwise is very exciting. I appreciate help to find other such
      opportunities around the world, especially to organize an online help
      room as I'm proposing http://www.helproom.org/proposal/

      +370 699 30003
      skype: minciusodas