Mornflake outreach: Chat about ebooks for DVD players

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2009
      What groups might we share this letter with? It's an invitation to
      chat, but also, an invitation to work together and have "liaisons" to
      link our various groups and help us know how we might work together.
      What groups might we link up with? Who might like to be a liaison?
      Andrius, ms@...
      -----------------------------------

      I invite us all to our chat room http://www.worknets.org/chat/ on
      Thursday, September 10, at 16:00 Kenya time, 14:00 London, 9:00 New
      York. We'll chat about publishing ebooks in local and regional languages
      (like Kiswahili, Hindi, Lithuanian, Luo) that can be read (as JPG
      images) with DVD players, mobile phones, digital picture frames, ebook
      readers, etc.

      We'd love to work together with other communities. Many of our
      endeavors are converging:
      * Ricardo (UK) has written many helpful pages about making the most of
      marginal Internet access, as in Africa:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Ricardo
      * He suggested that we convert text to JPG images so they could be read
      on DVD players, mobile phones, etc.
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?OnlineTextConverter
      * I implemented this: http://www.worknets.org/software/ebook/ You can
      enter a text and it will output a zipped file with JPG images,
      typically, one per paragraph.
      * Josephat Ndibalema (Tanzania) is championing the creation of learning
      materials in Kiswahili (see our wiki http://www.worknets.org/sw/ )
      * Graham Knight (UK) promotes DIY Solar, small do-it-yourself solar
      panels for recharging mobile phones, and we could create related ebooks.
      http://biodesign.webeden.co.uk
      * Franz Nahrada (Austria) wants us to engage the participants of
      http://www.thingiverse.com (sharing "digital designs for physical
      objects") to work together on real-life challenges and we agreed (with
      Ralf Schlatterbeck (Austria)) that this will be the first "semantic"
      project for our Worknets Interface Architecture Committee.
      * Ananya Guha (India) has suggested children's books and that is also a
      focus of Masimba Biriwasha (Zimbabwe). Indeed, it would be good for us
      to collect, share and write children's stories and study them in terms
      of the values that we and they are espousing. That's a great way to
      research our own values, including our deepest values, and to create a
      new culture, growing with children.
      * Janet Feldman's (USA) Rising Voices guide for Blogging Positively and
      other such materials are also great.
      http://rising.globalvoicesonline.org/guides/

      As you see, we need help:
      * Learning what content might be relevant to publish.
      * Strategizing the publishing path (which might include converting EPUB
      and PDF files, using Public Domain resources like books
      http://www.gutenberg.org , http://www.feedbooks.com , audio books
      http://www.librivox.org ) and even interweaving (much like a slide show)
      text, photos, audio, video.
      * Creating software for conversion and for making publishing easy with
      good results.
      * Exploring hardware options and even hacking new ones.
      * Translating materials.
      * Organizing publishing and distribution networks.
      * Building contacts and developing business opportunities.

      We'd also like to learn about any endeavors you may have that we might
      work together on
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Endeavors
      as well as your "deepest value in life" and "questions that you don't
      know the answer to, but wish to answer"
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Values
      and "what would you like to do with your life"?
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Dreams
      and "how can we help"?
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Tasks

      Worknets is a culture for independent thinkers, that is, for focusing on
      those who are able to work even by themselves, are willing to give and
      share in the Public Domain, and so with our help might remake all of our
      world, so that what we believe is what happens.

      In 1998, I founded Minciu Sodas http://www.ms.lt as a business (and
      haven) for serving and organizing independent thinkers. I'm taking the
      lead to organize Worknets as a broader culture and network based on
      minimum requirements for maximum sharing
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Charter

      Our endeavor above is a good occassion to seek liaisons with a wide
      variety of groups such as Rising Voices, Yi-Tan, Learning Communities,
      Ugabytes, Super Happy Dev Club and many others.
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Liaisons
      I hope we might find people who could build bridges amongst groups,
      summarize what people are working on in a group, and share endeavors
      from other groups. Such summaries and related exchanges would be
      assumed to be in the Public Domain, for participating groups. I am
      actively looking for liaisons and also for modest stipends for their help.

      I prefaced my letter with "Mornflake outreach" because this summer such
      outreach was made possible by work we did for Leon Benjamin
      http://www.winningbysharing.net on behalf of Mornflake cereal
      http://www.mornflake.com and their online video contest
      http://www.mornflakecompetition.com Leon paid us to engage online
      communities and agreed that we focus on reaching out to them and
      supporting their endeavors, and credit Mornflake for their support,
      rather than promote Mornflake cereal directly. The groups that tolerate
      us are those with whom we can effectively build such a network. Leon
      and I think that we can find more such clients to support our outreach,
      and we can share this work as well. I thus appreciate your
      understanding and support (and Mornflake's, too).
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?MornflakeOutreach

      Please share your thoughts, how might we help each other, and what
      groups would like us to reach out to them?

      Thank you!

      +370 699 30003
      Dukiskes, Lithuania