Wendi and Actwid Kongadzem, how are you?

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2 11:12 AM
      Wendi Losha Bernadette,

      How are you in Cameroon? Today I thought of you and your expertise in
      Agriculture because I read the following "call for nominations" thanks
      to David Sasaki's Rising Voices email list.

      Also, Ricardo and I are working on an "e-book maker", a software program
      to convert texts (like novels or emails or newsletters) to photos (JPG
      files) that can be viewed with a DVD player or with a mobile phone or
      with a digital picture frame, etc. Would that be a useful way to read
      information? and what kind of information would be most useful?

      >>> *From: *"Selina Mudavanhu" <selina.mudavanhu@...
      >>> <mailto:selina.mudavanhu@...>>
      >>> *Date: *02 September 2009 11:29:17 AM
      >>> *To: *<gwsafrica@... <mailto:gwsafrica@...>>
      >>> *Subject: **[Gwsafrica] Fwd: Call for NOminations on the Graca
      >>> Macheal Initiative:Multiplying Amplifying Voices*

      >>> <mailto:systems@...>> 2009/09/02 10:17 AM >>>
      >>>
      >>> Dear Colleagues and Friends
      >>>
      >>> I hope this email finds you well. Attached please find a call for
      >>> nominations for the *Graça Machel initiative that OSISA is
      >>> supporting called Multiplying Faces Amplifying Voices*. The
      >>> initiative seeks to start a continental network of African women
      >>> whose faces and voices are not so well known but are excelling in
      >>> the fields of Agriculture, Business, Media and Science& Technology.
      >>> Please see the attached Call. We would be grateful if you can
      >>> forward to your networks and partners.
      >>>
      >>> For more information, please contact Juliet Mureriwa on tel: +27 (0)
      >>> 10 590 2600 or email multiplyingfaces@...
      >>> <mailto:multiplyingfaces@...>

      CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: MULTIPLYING FACES AMPLYFING VOICES

      Background to the Project

      Across the continent, African women play a significant role in improving
      the quality of life in
      their communities. From grandmothers to young girls, there are women in
      each country on the
      continent whose achievements have been stellar, whether in a small
      community, in their nation
      or across the continent. Yet many of these women and their achievements
      go unrecognised and
      uncelebrated. Their faces are not known and their voices are not heard
      outside of their sectors.
      As a result, Africa does not make use of the potential of a strong cadre
      of current and future
      leaders. National and international agendas continue to be set and
      implemented without the
      influence of experienced and successful African women; international
      recognition continues to
      be focused on only a small minority of our African women leaders in a
      very limited number of
      sectors.

      What is Multiplying Faces Amplifying Voices

      Multiplying Faces; Amplifying Voices is an initiative of the African
      Women Foresight Network
      which is led by Graça Machel. The African Women’s Foresight Network
      emerged from a
      historical conference that brought together experts representing various
      fields of government,
      civil society organisations, policy makers, nongovernmental
      organisations, academics, the
      private sector and economic institutions as well as partners
      representing the donor community.

      The African Women’s Foresight Group’s secretariat is in Maputo.

      The Women Foresight Network envisions a transformed leadership with
      visible faces and
      audible voices of African Women that bring an added value in the
      promotion of democracy,
      prosperity and justice to all. Its mission is to amplify the voices and
      multiply the faces of African
      Women in political, social, economic areas, facilitating the creation
      and strengthening of
      synergies between knowledge, influence and decision making fields.

      Objectives of the Project:

      This initiative seeks to change this by highlighting the work of African
      women who are making a
      difference in the fields of Agriculture, Business, Media, and Science
      and Technology either at
      local, national or continental level. It will also provide women in
      leadership with increased
      exposure and will provide an opportunity for the sharing of experiences
      and dialogue between
      women across the continent as well as internationally through regional
      workshops that would be
      facilitated by the Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA).

      Nominations:

      OSISA in partnership with its sister foundations in Africa: Open Society
      Foundation for South
      Africa, Open Society Initiative for Eastern African and Open Society
      Initiative for West Africa
      will identify and nominate prominent African women for this initiative
      in the following fields:
      Categories:

      Agriculture;

      Business;

      Media; and

      Science and technology

      Criteria for Entry:
      Nominees must be African women who have demonstrated success in one of the

      following fields; Agriculture, Business, Media; and Science and Technology;
      Nominees must be able to demonstrate that in addition to their success as an

      entrepreneur, academic or policy expert in the above fields, they have
      played a role as a
      mentor or have been the product of a mentoring relationship themselves; and
      Nominees should have a proven track record of inspiring, motivating and
      empowering

      those around them.

      How to Apply:
      Use the attached form to submit your nominations;

      Attach a detailed CV of not longer than 5 pages;

      Attach one letter of support from a person or organisation that you have
      worked with

      closely in the last ten years, outlining how you have either served as a
      mentor or been
      mentored in your area of expertise;
      Attach one letter nominating yourself to participate in the process and
      demonstrating your

      strengths.

      DEADLINE: 30 SEPTEMBER 2009
    • ACTWID KONGADZEM
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3 10:34 AM
        Dear Andrius,
        Thank you immensely for your email and for thinking about me and our members and our agricultural expertise.
        We are doing good healthwise and are busy with alley cropping on our demonstration farm. Last week ,we planted fifteen different spicies of medicinal plants in our ACTWID garden.We have very heavy rainfall here in Cameroon now and we are experiencing floods and landslides in many areas which have even led to some deaths of five ,two children and three adults.
        Yes , i think what you and Ricardo are converting to use to read information will be good for us too. We need to read information on a daily bases on agricultursl issues especially Climate Change updates.We equally read information daily on HIV/AIDS related issues to uodate our people here.
        So may we know what the call for nominations that you have mentioned was for?
        Immense thanks .
        Sincerely Wendi Losha Bernadette and ACTWID members.