Re: Online Text Converter for eBooks

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2009
      Edward,
      Yes, that converts PDF to JPG.
      But instead we want to input ASCII (or Unicode) text (typically, input
      with a browser into a text box, or uploaded as a text file) and lay it
      out line by line and paragraph by paragraph so that it works for a
      chosen image size (screen size) say 320x480 as JPG files that could then
      be viewed with a DVD player, a mobile phone, an ebook reader, a digital
      picture frame, etc.
      Do you know of any program or script that can do that? I haven't found
      any yet so I'm looking but also creating my own code. Right now I'm
      setting up ImageMagick on our server as you suggest. (Not trivial to
      address all the dependencies.)
      Also, as I wrote earlier, there's difficulties with finding and using
      open source font files, I haven't understood all the issues yet. As
      Meredith suggested, I will look into Latex.
      I think this is all relevant for open source textbook publishing and
      distribution, too. It's likely that it hasn't been done (or not much)
      and it's a very promising direction (and I imagine, set of business
      opportunities).

      +370 699 30003
      Dukiskes, Lithuania