"Helpings" of Helping (response to Lucas...in spaghetti spirit!)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2006
      Dear Lucas and All,

      Hello, and I feel like we're all starring in a "spaghetti western" (a term coined for Italian-made cowboy movies), haha!! That's a great metaphor and imagery, and I agree that it's important to take one bite at a time (while perhaps including in some small space in one's mouth a bit of salad, bread, and a dash of vino too).

      Of course, looking at the whole plate and trying to figure out where and how to work on it--so that slowly but surely we do clean it off (and without too much indigestion)--is also important. Hence my suggestion to Sam about trying to figure out a "stepped progression" for all of his ideas and plans, some realistic way in which we can get to "Step #1" (however we define that), take it (ie do and/or complete one project, or aspect of a larger whole), and then move to another.

      There are ways to design what he wants to do so encompass several major elements, whether we address each one separately, or all of them together. The GenARDIS example is a way to do the former. We also might decide to focus first on the ICTs aspects of what Sam has identified as needs:  some computers and Internet connection, plus knowledge abt Linux and FOSS.

      In the next few weeks, my time is very limited, but I will try to mull over suggestions for how I think we might approach doing something concrete, and in the meantime, if anyone wants to work with Sam on developing a business plan (ie for the crafts or snacks business...I would go with crafts first, myself)--using a logical-framework (stepped) approach, that would be great. This way, we can eat the whole plate, but in manageable bites, haha!

      The other work of this forum in particular--an examination of what "holistic helping" is all about--can be a work in progress, as we make progress towards realizing some of the specific projects we are discussing (or chewing the fat about, haha!!).

      With thanks and a BIG bon appetit, and here's hoping we will all eat cake (as an infamous lady once proclaimed), which is the same thing as bread, though not necessarily "dough", ho-ho (though hope springs eternal that it be so)! Janet  (ps...and may we have pasta till we say basta!)

      Janet, Samwel, Andrius and all,

      I'd love to know if/when, and where, we can get our hands dirty with
      *designing the immediate way forward* with the "pieces" we have
      available.  We are people with passion and some available time and links
      to other people, we have knowledge and links to more knowledge, we have
      some technical and economical resources.  This is the cothinking I've
      been dreaming about for some years.  Conceptual thinking is great, and
      we are all great too, and we've learned to focus on people and not
      (only) on projects, but How do we get one project running and then
      another and another?

      My gut (heh!) feeling is this is a bit like the "eating spaghetti"
      *sequence*: you look at the fuming mess, select a place to stick the
      fork (sometimes you don't even look but you may prefer more or less
      sauce etc), stick the fork, collect an amount that fits the space
      between your jaws (if in doubt, you child, collect less!), stick it in
      your mouth or get your teeth around the stuff, apply pressure (and
      enjoy) from different angles until it's done, swallow.  Same with next
      forkful until (a) you finish what's on the place or (b) you don't want
      more spaghetti, thank you.

      We're of course working at more than one level: we want to eat
      spaghetti, we want to learn how to eat spaghetti, we'd love to help
      others learn to eat spaghetti, we'd be enthused if we learn to get the
      learning ball rolling real fast ...  If we *focus* on "eating out loud",
      *later* we can reflect and select the next forkful.

      Sorry if this makes you hungry or no-thankyou-ish, depending on your
      timezone. :-)

      Lucas