Re: [globalvillages] Thomas Diener suggests to create a business for Open Source Stuff + 21-century Global Palestine

  • Global Palestine
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2009
    Thanks Franz for the whole energy you bring in. Sorry for the quick response. I am in the middle of my relocation-activities for our move back to Palestine.
    I am attaching an overview chart which is in line with the idea in general.

    The cell I have in my design draft, which I have menstioned in the thread "re-maping the world", suppose to be a biotopical economic healing cell for human, society and ecology..
    Local/Regional/National/International Networking of modular cells with central infrastructures (R&D, CI, Exchange (sales) ) is a concept for healing the world (Earth  and humanity). Global Biotope-Economy based on Permaculture Design Principles should create a global nexus hybrid trademark we identify our self with.
    Technology is the most easy to change. Economy is a technical set-up of human activities and value-flow. This is the cule of the idea: Instead of to focus on theoretical acadamic efforts to change the world we go over new praxis and learning process.

    I hope the pilot will start in global Palestine. Without your help we wont get there ~
    At Temara I will focus on how we can develop the core cell.

    Wael

    On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Franz Nahrada <f.nahrada@...> wrote:

    Dear Globalvillagers! Hallo Sasha, thanks for asking and wanting more
    details on what I just shortly mentioned in my letter.

    It is encouraging how seriously many people want to link their lives and
    activities to a new culture - bringing up new ideas for new structures.
    It is a time of growing our associations and endavours. It is becoming
    visible that the Internet has deeply changed the infrastructures of our
    lives and given way to new players some of whom we dont know yet.

    So I thank everyone who took part last monday at a meeting at the
    Karolinenhof in Vienna, where I networked people that are seriously
    thinking if a better structure could be found to support

    "Open Source product development by a commercial structure that would
    bring products to the market in an accountable way".

    Thomas Diener presented his vision of "Fairware", and although Thomas is
    not so fluent in English he wrote up for us what he thinks is important.

    This might be also relevant for the villages economy. On Wednesday, we
    held another meeting, a good - bye meeting for Inga Boehm who is
    travelling to Missouri to live and work on FactorEFarm. We talked about
    Open Source Ecology Europe and the way village products could support
    village maintainance. I think the idea of merging fair trade with Open
    Source is interesting in many respects.

    So here is Thomas' concept:
    ==================

    THE FAIRWARE CONCEPT: A "HYBRID" COMPANY

    "I'll can send a more structured text within the next few weeks
    but it will be in my very simple English. If somebody would like
    to translate from German into English it would make my job
    much easier.

    I just start with a kind of sketch:

    We would like to design a new way to develop and produce products. The
    vision is:

    Imagine all products we purchase and use contain the following quality
    features:

    - functional
    - worthwhile
    - durable
    - fully serviceable
    - easy to keep up-to-date (acc. techn. products)
    - fancy
    - positive ecobalance

    Imagine that in such factories, where above described products are
    manufactured there is also appreciation for workers - so we even would
    like to work there.

    From there, we would love to use these products with clear conscience and
    a kind of pride as we consider it as "our products". These products belong
    to us, because its developed from our pure needs and designed and made by
    us, potentially. More, trademark rights are owned by us in our roles as
    worker/producer and consumer, concurrently.

    These are products whose design and goodwill is considered common
    knowledge.

    In this sense there are already a lot of useful initiatives, e.g. Software
    relying on a range of striking Open Source applications.

    But what about cell phones, sneakers, furniture, cars, solar panels, as
    well as many other products?
    Lets call it the Open Source Physical Product side, not only electronic
    hardware, but all kind of different stuff,
    Indeed, even here there are some remarkable projects launched, but didn't
    made headway, so far.

    In comparison to above mentioned initiatives todays business mergers and
    affiliated corporations are more powerful, financially strong, and rather
    efficient, too.

    Think about what will happen, if we combine efficiency of a large
    commercial structure, the capability of Open Souce, IT options, and the
    vitality of Social Communities?

    to concretize this vision we need:

    - a form of organization which combines the efficiency of a global company
    with a deep democratic foundation.
    - a clear structure which allows fast growth and the involvement of many
    different players
    - a web 2 community-based communication between all the players which
    allows not only to brainstorm ideas, to crowdsource questions/solutions
    and to control the different players but also to facilitate and to
    visualize basic decisions making process.

    The ideas to realize this dream are so far:

    - the democratic foundation is possible through a special form of
    participation: Every person which is involved in the "Company" is
    automatically a co-holder of the company. Since as developer and designer
    of products, as producer or as consumer (any person can of course be a mix
    of all this roles). This model is proven by big and successful companies
    like for instance "Visa-Card"
    ([ http://www.chaordic.org ]http://www.chaordic.org ) and maybe also some
    cooperatives like Mondragon, Migros etc.

    - to set up a organizational form we call "Hybrid global company" it is a
    combination of basically 3 elements:

    - - a foundation with legal capacity. The goal is:

    - - - to assure that the "ethic" nucleus of the company will sustain
    - - - to gather the precious parts of the company in order to keep them
    away from the greediness of some player inside or outside of the company
    (precious could be: the social community platform, the brand of the
    Compagnie and of each product, the design of the corporate communication
    and each product and so on.)

    - - a limited company which is responsible for the operative part of the
    work (coordination, translations, marketing, and so on).
    - - - This joint stock company is only responsible to provide the services
    around the "Hybrid global company".

    - - a social community platform which is
    - - - the "newspaper" of the company (independent from the foundation and
    the limited company.
    - - - the place where all the players are represented
    - - - the place where the global direction of the company were discussed
    and basic decision were made (something like a online parliament)
    - - - The place where crowdsourcing can happen
    - - - and so on . . .

    This 3 Elements are basicly independend but connected trough a structural
    coupling. In the best case that could grow into an living system, which
    stabilize itself in a very dynamic way.

    An exemple of this interplay you can find hier

    [ http://fairwork.mixxt.org/networks/wiki/index.ProdukteGeschichte
    ]http://fairwork.mixxt.org/networks/wiki/index.ProdukteGeschichte (only in
    german yet) - "The history of a product" describes in full detail what
    would be a "democratic economic process"

    Maybe someone could translate it to english and english pages could be
    added in that Wiki.

    What could be the next steps:

    There are of course a lot of unsolved problems around this idea. But best
    way to bring it into practice is to start.
    So I suggest to build a foundation for that project and we need a first
    striking product for the start of a cooperation between developer,
    producers and consumers.

    I am willing to maintain the process of building the foundation. The Swiss
    law is very flexible and allows to start with a very small amount of
    money. Anybody who would like to help me with the formulation of the
    articles of corporation is kindly invited to help.

    Warm greetings,
    Thomas

    Thomas Diener, FairWork GmbH

    Switzerland: Austria:
    Office
    Binzstrasse 9, Zürich Gentzgasse 6, Wien
    Mail
    Steinhaldenstrasse 51 Tannengasse 1/15
    CH 8002 Zürich A 2230 Gänserndorf
    Phone